|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following themes best describes the beginning of Chapter 8?
2. The psychology of love does not affect which of the following in regard to knights?
3. What is a powerful symbol that appears in all religions and cultures?
4. What does the Church of the Middle Ages indicate that marriages are not?
5. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
2. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
3. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
4. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
5. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
6. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
7. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
8. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
9. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
10. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
This section contains 522 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)