|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What complaint do Campbell and Moyers repeat in Chapter 5?
2. What about life is universally recognized according to Campbell?
3. What does Campbell say that the fate of evildoers teaches society?
4. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
5. In what year was the Albigensian Crusade begun?
Short Essay Questions
1. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
2. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
3. What is the Albigensian movement?
4. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
5. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
6. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
7. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
8. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
9. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
10. What are liturgies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
This section contains 600 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)