|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
2. Who has never uttered a word of recrimination or complaint toward their persecutors in the Chinese government?
3. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
4. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
5. To what figure from Germanic and Celtic myths did Campbell expose his students?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
2. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
3. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
4. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
5. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
6. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
7. What are liturgies?
8. What is the Albigensian movement?
9. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
10. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the form of the hero quest. Does it have to include both spiritual and physical deeds? Is it the same in every mythology?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of shaman in society. How is this different from that of a priest or other religious figure? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the circle is such a powerful system in all religions? What part does it play in your own religion? Use specific examples.
This section contains 501 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)