|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
2. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
3. What did Campbell indicate that mythologies evolved from after Hunter-Gatherer?
4. With what is the Goddess identified?
5. When does Jesus go into the the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
2. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
3. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
4. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
5. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
6. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
7. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
8. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
9. What are liturgies?
10. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of shaman in society. How is this different from that of a priest or other religious figure? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
Can myths adapt? Why or why not? In what ways is it necessary for them to adapt?
Essay Topic 3
Do you feel our current society needs new myths? Why or why not?
This section contains 494 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)