|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Campbell indicate that mythologies evolved from after Hunter-Gatherer?
2. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
3. What two symbols are combined in a powerful union through the Goddess Nut?
4. Which of the following historical developments does Campbell trace in Chapter 6?
5. Who has never uttered a word of recrimination or complaint toward their persecutors in the Chinese government?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
2. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
3. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
4. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
5. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
6. What are liturgies?
7. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
8. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
9. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
10. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the circle is such a powerful system in all religions? What part does it play in your own religion? Use specific examples.
This section contains 590 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)