|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which legend of knights is used to affirm the idea of romantic love?
2. Buddhist teachings indicate that though there is suffering in life, people should do what?
3. Who formalizes the dogma of Mary being the Mother of God?
4. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
5. Which of the following themes best describes the beginning of Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
2. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
3. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
4. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
5. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
6. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
7. What is the Albigensian movement?
8. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
9. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
10. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel our current society needs new myths? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the role of shaman in society. How is this different from that of a priest or other religious figure? How is it the same?
This section contains 508 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)