|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What type of man do Campbell and Moyer say that God is?
2. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
3. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
4. To whose epiphany writings does Campbell compare his own athletic experience?
5. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are liturgies?
2. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
3. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
4. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
5. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
6. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
7. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
8. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
9. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
10. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Campbell utilizes his own personal experience throughout the novel as a positive example of the myths he relates. Do you believe this is a good strategy for this type of text? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
This section contains 490 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)