|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Buddhist teachings indicate that though there is suffering in life, people should do what?
2. What is the name of Campbell's previously published book?
3. Which of the following cultures used the circle to represent the embodiment of the center of their mythology?
4. In which previous chapter was the idea of love and marriage discussed?
5. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the Albigensian movement?
2. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
3. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
4. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
5. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
6. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
7. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
8. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
9. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
10. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
How does the concept of romantic love persist this day in Western culture? Does it persist in the same manner as the troubadours suggested? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Campbell means by a global mythology? Is global the correct term? What are your ideas of replacing global with galactic?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)