|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
2. When, approximately, did the suppression of the Goddess religions come about?
3. How do the troubadours describe love?
4. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
5. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
2. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
3. What is the Albigensian movement?
4. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
5. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
6. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
7. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
8. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
9. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
10. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the circle is such a powerful system in all religions? What part does it play in your own religion? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)