|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does Campbell indicate that role models for society are created?
2. The Semitic and Indo-European invaders were mainly what?
3. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
4. What is the earth considered throughout myths of the farming era?
5. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
2. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
3. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
4. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
5. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
6. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
7. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
8. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
9. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
10. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe ways in which techniques and practices are used to communicate with God. Are these techniques universal? Why might they differ? Why might some be the same?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the circle is such a powerful system in all religions? What part does it play in your own religion? Use specific examples.
This section contains 594 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)