|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. From what does Campbell indicate society must protect itself?
2. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
3. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
4. What is the earth considered throughout myths of the farming era?
5. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
2. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
3. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
4. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
5. What are liturgies?
6. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
7. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
8. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
9. What is the Albigensian movement?
10. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
Essay Topic 2
How does Hollywood perpetuate myths and legends? Do you believe this is necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
This section contains 568 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)