|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Moses bring back from the summit of the mountain?
2. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
3. The psychology of love does not affect which of the following in regard to knights?
4. According to Campbell, infidelity goes against which of the following?
5. An indication of how Western culture might have evolved had Hebrew mythology not survived can be seen in ___________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
2. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
3. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
4. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
5. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
6. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
7. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
8. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
9. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
10. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe ways in which techniques and practices are used to communicate with God. Are these techniques universal? Why might they differ? Why might some be the same?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)