|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
2. In which previous chapter was the idea of love and marriage discussed?
3. Whose legend does Campbell recall which is in a similar vein to Sir Gawain's legend?
4. What is the earth considered throughout myths of the farming era?
5. What about life is universally recognized according to Campbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
2. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
3. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
4. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
5. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
6. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
7. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
8. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
9. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
10. What are liturgies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel our current society needs new myths? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
This section contains 486 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)