|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is immortal and voluntarily participates in the sorrows of the world?
2. With what is the Goddess identified?
3. Which of the following is a Greek legend from which Campbell quotes?
4. What types of figures which dated back to the Neolithic period were found in Europe?
5. What does Jung say about religion?
Short Essay Questions
1. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
2. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
3. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
4. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
5. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
6. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
7. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
8. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
9. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
10. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Campbell's assertion that man's view of God depends on the encompassing culture? Why or Why not? How do missionaries play into this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Do you feel our current society needs new myths? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do myths help members of a society cope with situations and life events? Do you believe that myths or legends in our society have helped you? In what way?
This section contains 548 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)