|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Campbell indicate is identified as the natural choice for supreme being?
2. Which of the following was not a major river which played an important part in the development of societies and cultures?
3. How is the sunrise depicted by the Goddess Nut in Egypt?
4. What comes from the release of fears and sorrows of the world?
5. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
2. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
3. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
4. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
5. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
6. What are liturgies?
7. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
8. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
9. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
10. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hollywood perpetuate myths and legends? Do you believe this is necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of shaman in society. How is this different from that of a priest or other religious figure? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
This section contains 531 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)