|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be a commonality among all cultures in relation to God according to Campbell?
2. Who crushed the Albigensians?
3. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
4. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
5. Which of the following rivers are considered in the Near East?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
2. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
3. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
4. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
5. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
6. What are liturgies?
7. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
8. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
9. What is the Albigensian movement?
10. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel our current society needs new myths? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you believe there are new myths in our current society? If yes, describe them in detail. If not, why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
This section contains 506 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)