|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
2. Which of the following was not a major river which played an important part in the development of societies and cultures?
3. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
4. An indication of how Western culture might have evolved had Hebrew mythology not survived can be seen in ___________________________.
5. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
2. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
3. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
4. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
5. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
6. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
7. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
8. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
9. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
10. What are liturgies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you believe there are new myths in our current society? If yes, describe them in detail. If not, why do you think this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with Campbell's assertion that man's view of God depends on the encompassing culture? Why or Why not? How do missionaries play into this idea?
Essay Topic 3
Can myths adapt? Why or why not? In what ways is it necessary for them to adapt?
This section contains 541 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)