|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Campbell indicate is identified as the natural choice for supreme being?
2. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
3. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
4. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
5. What is God in the Oriental culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
2. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
3. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
4. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
5. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
6. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
7. What is the Albigensian movement?
8. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
9. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
10. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can myths adapt? Why or why not? In what ways is it necessary for them to adapt?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe there are new myths in our current society? If yes, describe them in detail. If not, why do you think this is the case?
This section contains 505 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)