|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the Eucharist believed to be in the Christian religion?
2. Which of the following is a true statement about recurring themes in mythology?
3. What does Campbell say that architecture forms in Western Society?
4. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
5. Of which general religion is Campbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did primitive societies associate gods?
2. What do the Navaho hogans include?
3. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
4. What do all mythologies have in common?
5. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
6. What is a shaman?
7. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
8. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
9. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
10. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Campbell means by a global mythology? Is global the correct term? What are your ideas of replacing global with galactic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe ways in which techniques and practices are used to communicate with God. Are these techniques universal? Why might they differ? Why might some be the same?
This section contains 617 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)