|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
2. According to Campbell, what is the function of a mythology?
3. What kind of powers did plains dwellers attribute to animals and plants?
4. In the Pawnee legend, how does Tirawa tell man he will show himself?
5. In the Buddhist and Upanishad traditions, God assumes what gender?
Short Essay Questions
1. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
2. What happens to myths over time?
3. How have myths helped Campbell?
4. How did primitive societies associate gods?
5. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
6. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
7. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
8. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
9. What is an integral part of the myths of creation?
10. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Campbell's assertion that man's view of God depends on the encompassing culture? Why or Why not? How do missionaries play into this idea?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Campbell's characterization of Martin Luther. Do you agree with his characterization of Martin Luther? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
This section contains 578 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)