|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be said to reappear over and over throughout various mythologies?
2. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
3. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
4. What changed about God in the Judeo-Christian group of cultures from preceding societies?
5. How were myths and legends handed down before the invention of writing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
2. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
3. How did primitive societies associate gods?
4. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
5. What do hunting rituals have in common?
6. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
7. What does the architecture of a city express?
8. What is a shaman?
9. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
10. In what way are the Assyrian temples similar to the Christian church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the role of shaman in society. How is this different from that of a priest or other religious figure? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Can myths adapt? Why or why not? In what ways is it necessary for them to adapt?
This section contains 656 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)