|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a true statement about recurring themes in mythology?
2. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
3. Where was it especially common to find early societies assigning special powers to plants and animals?
4. In the hunting and gathering society, mythology consisted of appeasing the animal gods. In the farming society it consisted of what?
5. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the Navaho hogans include?
2. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
3. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
4. What is an integral part of the myths of creation?
5. What is a shaman?
6. What does the architecture of a city express?
7. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
8. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
9. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
10. What do hunting rituals have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you feel our current society needs new myths? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how the three major religions have similar myths and legends. Do you believe this is a coincidence? Why do you believe this is the case?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how Campbell utilizes his own personal experience throughout the novel as a positive example of the myths he relates. Do you believe this is a good strategy for this type of text? Why or why not?
This section contains 637 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)