|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
2. Campbell indicates that it is possible for contradictory versions of a myth can exist in the _______ culture.
3. What do all of the hunting rituals have in common?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for motif as used in the following sentence: "The motifs of creation and death occurred in both Catholic and American Indian myths."
5. The accounts of legends in Africa all highlight the basic relationship between _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What previously published books influenced this text?
2. In what way are the Assyrian temples similar to the Christian church?
3. What are the three universal common legends?
4. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
5. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
6. What happens to myths over time?
7. What do hunting rituals have in common?
8. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
9. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
10. What do all mythologies have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how the three major religions have similar myths and legends. Do you believe this is a coincidence? Why do you believe this is the case?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)