|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
2. Campbell indicates that it is possible for contradictory versions of a myth can exist in the _______ culture.
3. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
4. With what do the invaders replace the temple to the Sun?
5. How does Chapter 3 differ from the other chapters in this text?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
2. What happens to myths over time?
3. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
4. What do all mythologies have in common?
5. What previously published books influenced this text?
6. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
7. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
8. What is an integral part of the myths of creation?
9. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
10. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Campbell utilizes his own personal experience throughout the novel as a positive example of the myths he relates. Do you believe this is a good strategy for this type of text? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the role of shaman in society. How is this different from that of a priest or other religious figure? How is it the same?
Essay Topic 3
Describe Campbell's characterization of Martin Luther. Do you agree with his characterization of Martin Luther? Why or why not?
This section contains 577 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)