|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
2. How many universal themes does Campbell identify?
3. Where was the physical scope of Biblical mythology?
4. How many creatures does Aristophanes tell were created at the beginning of time?
5. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
2. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
3. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
4. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
5. What previously published books influenced this text?
6. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
7. How did primitive societies associate gods?
8. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
9. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
10. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with Campbell's assertion that man's view of God depends on the encompassing culture? Why or Why not? How do missionaries play into this idea?
Essay Topic 3
In what ways do myths help members of a society cope with situations and life events? Do you believe that myths or legends in our society have helped you? In what way?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)