|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
3. What kind of powers did plains dwellers attribute to animals and plants?
4. Which of the following cities is an example of the importance of architecture as an expression of spiritual tenets?
5. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three universal common legends?
2. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
3. What happens to myths over time?
4. What previously published books influenced this text?
5. What do hunting rituals have in common?
6. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
7. What do all mythologies have in common?
8. What is an integral part of the myths of creation?
9. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
10. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe ways in which techniques and practices are used to communicate with God. Are these techniques universal? Why might they differ? Why might some be the same?
Essay Topic 3
Can myths adapt? Why or why not? In what ways is it necessary for them to adapt?
This section contains 585 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)