|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How were myths and legends handed down before the invention of writing?
2. Which of the following cities is an example of the importance of architecture as an expression of spiritual tenets?
3. Which specific cathedral does Campbell indicate he has visited numerous times?
4. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
5. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
2. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
3. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
4. What is an integral part of the myths of creation?
5. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
6. What is a shaman?
7. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
8. How have myths helped Campbell?
9. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
10. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe how Campbell utilizes his own personal experience throughout the novel as a positive example of the myths he relates. Do you believe this is a good strategy for this type of text? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Why do you think myths adapt and change from society? Do you think that continues in modern time? Is it possible to have a consistent myth across societies? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hollywood perpetuate myths and legends? Do you believe this is necessary? Why or why not?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)