|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When do dreams become a part of society's myths?
2. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
3. In the hunting and gathering society, mythology consisted of appeasing the animal gods. In the farming society it consisted of what?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
5. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
2. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
3. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
4. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
5. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
6. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
7. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
8. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
9. What are the three universal common legends?
10. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can myths adapt? Why or why not? In what ways is it necessary for them to adapt?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Campbell's characterization of Martin Luther. Do you agree with his characterization of Martin Luther? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)