|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
2. What changed about God in the Judeo-Christian group of cultures from preceding societies?
3. Whose myths fascinated Campbell as he was growing up?
4. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
5. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
Short Essay Questions
1. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
2. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
3. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
4. What previously published books influenced this text?
5. How did primitive societies associate gods?
6. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
7. How have myths helped Campbell?
8. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
9. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
10. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the circle is such a powerful system in all religions? What part does it play in your own religion? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Campbell utilizes his own personal experience throughout the novel as a positive example of the myths he relates. Do you believe this is a good strategy for this type of text? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does Hollywood perpetuate myths and legends? Do you believe this is necessary? Why or why not?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)