|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
2. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
3. In the Pawnee legend, how does Tirawa tell man he will show himself?
4. When did Mexico City have great temples and considered a sacred city?
5. What is the architecture of a city an expression of in a society?
Short Essay Questions
1. In what way are the Assyrian temples similar to the Christian church?
2. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
3. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
4. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
5. What does the architecture of a city express?
6. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
7. What do all mythologies have in common?
8. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
9. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
10. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hollywood perpetuate myths and legends? Do you believe this is necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Campbell utilizes his own personal experience throughout the novel as a positive example of the myths he relates. Do you believe this is a good strategy for this type of text? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the form of the hero quest. Does it have to include both spiritual and physical deeds? Is it the same in every mythology?
This section contains 631 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)