|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
2. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
3. What do Campbell and Moyers indicate has lost its force and become a mere remnant of the original in regard to marriage?
4. What do all of the hunting rituals have in common?
5. How can a myth or ritual be preserved to the changing environment or social conditions of the culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
2. How did primitive societies associate gods?
3. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
4. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
5. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
6. What are liturgies?
7. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
8. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
9. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
10. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
Essay Topic 1
Write an essay describing how myths and legends are necessary in modern society. Are they taught enough? In what ways are they currently used in schools?
Essay Topic 2
Describe what Campbell means by a global mythology? Is global the correct term? What are your ideas of replacing global with galactic?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
This section contains 1,079 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)