|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do the symbols used in Assyrian temples become in the New Testament?
2. What changed about God in the Judeo-Christian group of cultures from preceding societies?
3. What does the birth of an individual become transformed into in myths and legends?
4. Which of the following cannot be divorced from a specific culture and environment from the time it occurs?
5. In which of the following rituals is land orientation important to the Sioux?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
2. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
3. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
4. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
5. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
6. How did primitive societies associate gods?
7. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
8. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
9. In what way are the Assyrian temples similar to the Christian church?
10. What are liturgies?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
Essay Topic 2
How does the concept of romantic love persist this day in Western culture? Does it persist in the same manner as the troubadours suggested? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe what Campbell means by a global mythology? Is global the correct term? What are your ideas of replacing global with galactic?
This section contains 1,042 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)