|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What can be said to reappear over and over throughout various mythologies?
2. How can a myth or ritual be preserved to the changing environment or social conditions of the culture?
3. Which of the following cultures is an example of a culture which sanctifies its own land?
4. What is the best definition of a myth?
5. Under what condition is death discussed by Campbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
2. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
3. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
4. What does the architecture of a city express?
5. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
6. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
7. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
8. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
9. What do all mythologies have in common?
10. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Do you agree with Campbell's assertion that man's view of God depends on the encompassing culture? Why or Why not? How do missionaries play into this idea?
Essay Topic 2
In what ways do myths help members of a society cope with situations and life events? Do you believe that myths or legends in our society have helped you? In what way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
This section contains 589 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)