|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In which of the following rituals is land orientation important to the Sioux?
2. How is the snake (from the creation story) regarded in India?
3. What is the end of the inward journey?
4. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
5. Which of the following cities is an example of the importance of architecture as an expression of spiritual tenets?
Short Essay Questions
1. What previously published books influenced this text?
2. How did primitive societies associate gods?
3. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
4. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
5. What do hunting rituals have in common?
6. What does the architecture of a city express?
7. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
8. What is a shaman?
9. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
10. What happens to myths over time?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe what Campbell means by a global mythology? Is global the correct term? What are your ideas of replacing global with galactic?
Essay Topic 2
Describe how Campbell utilizes his own personal experience throughout the novel as a positive example of the myths he relates. Do you believe this is a good strategy for this type of text? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe how the three major religions have similar myths and legends. Do you believe this is a coincidence? Why do you believe this is the case?
This section contains 586 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)