|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Under what condition is death discussed by Campbell?
2. Whose myths fascinated Campbell as he was growing up?
3. What caused the concept of God to become more of a world savior by the Jews?
4. How can a myth or ritual be preserved to the changing environment or social conditions of the culture?
5. What do all of the hunting rituals have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
2. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
3. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
4. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
5. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
6. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
7. What happens to myths over time?
8. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
9. What do all mythologies have in common?
10. What do hunting rituals have in common?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Can myths adapt? Why or why not? In what ways is it necessary for them to adapt?
Essay Topic 2
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
How does the concept of romantic love persist this day in Western culture? Does it persist in the same manner as the troubadours suggested? Why or why not?
This section contains 630 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)