|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where was the physical scope of Biblical mythology?
2. What can be said to reappear over and over throughout various mythologies?
3. What is an important component in the development of mythology?
4. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
5. A myth embraces both of the following: ______________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. How did primitive societies associate gods?
2. How have myths helped Campbell?
3. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
4. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
5. What is a shaman?
6. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
7. What is an integral part of the myths of creation?
8. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
9. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
10. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe ways in which techniques and practices are used to communicate with God. Are these techniques universal? Why might they differ? Why might some be the same?
Essay Topic 2
Do you feel our current society needs new myths? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Why does it seem natural that the Goddess religions were very close to the fertile river areas? What areas of the world would this type of belief continue? Does Campbell's reasoning seem sound? Why or why not?
This section contains 575 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)