|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
2. Which of the following could be considered a vestige of an earlier Hunter-Gatherer myth?
3. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
4. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
5. What do all of the hunting rituals have in common?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
2. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
3. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
4. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
5. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
6. What do the Navaho hogans include?
7. How did primitive societies associate gods?
8. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
9. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
10. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why do you believe the circle is such a powerful system in all religions? What part does it play in your own religion? Use specific examples.
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
Essay Topic 3
Why do you believe the oral tradition for passing down myths and legends was replaced with the written tradition? Which do you think is the better method? Why?
This section contains 671 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)