|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What changed about God in the Judeo-Christian group of cultures from preceding societies?
2. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
3. In the Buddhist and Upanishad traditions, God assumes what gender?
4. Of which general religion is Campbell?
5. Which of the following is another name for Mexico City?
Short Essay Questions
1. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
2. What do the Navaho hogans include?
3. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
4. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
5. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
6. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
7. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
8. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
9. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
10. In what way are the Assyrian temples similar to the Christian church?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the form of the hero quest. Does it have to include both spiritual and physical deeds? Is it the same in every mythology?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Campbell's characterization of Martin Luther. Do you agree with his characterization of Martin Luther? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Do you believe there are new myths in our current society? If yes, describe them in detail. If not, why do you think this is the case?
This section contains 986 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)