|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In primitive societies, gods were often associated with ___________________.
2. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
3. What is the end of the inward journey?
4. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
5. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
2. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
3. What do all mythologies have in common?
4. What does the architecture of a city express?
5. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
6. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
7. What previously published books influenced this text?
8. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
9. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
10. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the concept of romantic love persist this day in Western culture? Does it persist in the same manner as the troubadours suggested? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the importance of the Goddess in mythology. How did the Goddess change throughout time? Is the idea of the Goddess still present in modern religions? In what way?
Essay Topic 3
Describe ways in which techniques and practices are used to communicate with God. Are these techniques universal? Why might they differ? Why might some be the same?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)