|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
2. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
3. All mythologies indicate that the idea of God is unknowable and is the what?
4. In which of the following rituals is land orientation important to the Sioux?
5. How many creatures does Aristophanes tell were created at the beginning of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do hunting rituals have in common?
2. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
3. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
4. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
5. What is a shaman?
6. What are the three universal common legends?
7. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
8. What happens to myths over time?
9. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
10. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Hollywood perpetuate myths and legends? Do you believe this is necessary? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Describe Campbell's characterization of Martin Luther. Do you agree with his characterization of Martin Luther? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 3
Describe ways in which techniques and practices are used to communicate with God. Are these techniques universal? Why might they differ? Why might some be the same?
This section contains 542 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)