|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Meditation of the yogis in the Himalayas leads each individual to _______________________.
2. In the Buddhist and Upanishad traditions, God assumes what gender?
3. What is the architecture of a city an expression of in a society?
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
5. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
2. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
3. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
4. What is a shaman?
5. What do all mythologies have in common?
6. What do the Navaho hogans include?
7. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
8. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
9. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
10. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does the concept of romantic love persist this day in Western culture? Does it persist in the same manner as the troubadours suggested? Why or why not?
Essay Topic 2
Do you agree with Campbell's assertion that man's view of God depends on the encompassing culture? Why or Why not? How do missionaries play into this idea?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the form of the hero quest. Does it have to include both spiritual and physical deeds? Is it the same in every mythology?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)