|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of the following religions is mankind identified as being included and participating with the deity?
2. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
3. What is the dominant theme of the Mediterranean region's religious history?
(d) Fertility ritual figures
4. Which invaders conquered the established societies in the Fourth Millennium B.C.?
(d) Semitic and Indo-European
5. An indication of how Western culture might have evolved had Hebrew mythology not survived can be seen in ___________________________.
(a) religions of Africa
(b) religions of India
(c) religions of South America
(d) Asian religions
Short Answer Questions
1. To whose epiphany writings does Campbell compare his own athletic experience?
2. The philosophy of love is grafted onto the underlying saga of whose resistance to the Anglo Saxon invasion of Britian?
3. Which of the following themes best describes the beginning of Chapter 8?
4. What influence does Campbell indicate leads to the reemergence of the female figure in the Christian religion?
5. What does Campbell indicate will emerge to replace the old traditional mythologies?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
2. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
3. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
4. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
5. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
6. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
7. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
8. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
9. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
10. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
This section contains 556 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)