|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image is depicted of the Goddess Nut from Egypt?
(a) Giving birth to the moon
(b) Giving birth to the savior
(c) Swallowing the moon
(d) Swallowing the sun
2. Which of the following is immortal and voluntarily participates in the sorrows of the world?
(a) Jesus Christ
(d) Tibetan Buddhist Monks
3. What does Campbell indicate will emerge to replace the old traditional mythologies?
(a) Global mythology
(b) Stable mythology
(c) Goddess mythology
(d) Galactic mythology
4. What did Campbell indicate that mythologies evolved from after Hunter-Gatherer?
(d) Metal working
5. What is the dominant theme of the Mediterranean region's religious history?
(a) Fertility ritual figures
Short Answer Questions
1. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
2. In which of the following religions is mankind identified as being included and participating with the deity?
3. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
4. Who often arranged for traditional marriage?
5. What is God in the Oriental culture?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
2. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
3. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
4. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
5. What is the Albigensian movement?
6. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
7. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
8. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
9. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
10. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
This section contains 570 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)