|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
(a) Common elements
(b) Similar features
(c) No commonalities
(d) Exact same story, different geographical areas
2. What is the bo tree known as?
(a) Tree of immortal knowledge
(b) Tree of new religion
(c) Tree of wisdom
(d) Tree of life
3. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
4. Who do Campbell and Moyers credit with the origination of love?
(a) Anglo Saxons
5. Which type of societies and cultures identified with the Goddess?
(a) Those near the ocean
(b) Those in the river valleys
(c) Those in the mountains
(d) Those with the most power and knowledge
Short Answer Questions
1. What is God in the Oriental culture?
2. Of what kind of myths and legends does Campbell provide specific examples?
3. How is the sunrise depicted by the Goddess Nut in Egypt?
4. What types of figures which dated back to the Neolithic period were found in Europe?
5. What seems to be a commonality among all cultures in relation to God according to Campbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
2. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
3. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
4. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
5. What are liturgies?
6. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
7. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
8. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
9. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
10. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
This section contains 645 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)