|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What color was the knight that was linked in a myth with SIr Gawain?
2. Who formalizes the dogma of Mary being the Mother of God?
(a) Council of Ephesus
(b) Roman Catholic Church
(c) Notre Dame Council
(d) Greek culture
3. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
(a) Comparative mythology
4. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
5. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
(a) beginning of arranged marriage
(b) evolution of modern western culture
(c) ending of the idea of celibacy
(d) beginning of the idea of love
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what kind of myths and legends does Campbell provide specific examples?
2. According to Campbell, infidelity goes against which of the following?
3. What does the Church of the Middle Ages indicate that marriages are not?
4. Which of the following themes best describes the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
2. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
3. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
4. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
5. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
6. What two things does Campbell indicate will help to decide whether or not the western ideas of matrimony permeate the cultures of India or China?
7. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
8. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
9. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
10. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
This section contains 602 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)