|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. From what does Campbell indicate society must protect itself?
(a) Emotional trauma of not finding true love
(b) Romantice love
(c) Unconditional love
(d) Chaos of excessive indulgence
2. In which previous chapter was the idea of love and marriage discussed?
3. What about life is universally recognized according to Campbell?
(a) There is existance beyond mankind's cognizance.
(b) God is a man.
(c) There is more than one God.
(d) Life is created by God.
4. Which legend of knights is used to affirm the idea of romantic love?
(a) Holy Grail
(b) Paolo and Fransesca
(c) Tristan and Isolde
(d) King Arthur
5. From what geographical area is the myth of the princely hunter?
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a Greek legend from which Campbell quotes?
2. What influence does Campbell indicate leads to the reemergence of the female figure in the Christian religion?
3. Which of the following was not a major river which played an important part in the development of societies and cultures?
4. What does Campbell indicate will emerge to replace the old traditional mythologies?
5. What complaint do Campbell and Moyers repeat in Chapter 5?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
2. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
3. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
4. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
5. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
6. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
7. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
8. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
9. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
10. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
This section contains 555 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)