|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What image is depicted of the Goddess Nut from Egypt?
(a) Swallowing the sun
(b) Giving birth to the moon
(c) Giving birth to the savior
(d) Swallowing the moon
2. Who formalizes the dogma of Mary being the Mother of God?
(a) Roman Catholic Church
(b) Notre Dame Council
(c) Council of Ephesus
(d) Greek culture
3. Which of the following rivers are considered in the Near East?
4. Buddhist teachings indicate that though there is suffering in life, people should do what?
(a) Avoid all pain and sorrow
(b) Ignore pain and sorrow
(c) Celebrate pain and sorrow
(d) Confront and endure pain and sorrow
5. An indication of how Western culture might have evolved had Hebrew mythology not survived can be seen in ___________________________.
(a) religions of South America
(b) religions of India
(c) Asian religions
(d) religions of Africa
Short Answer Questions
1. Of what kind of myths and legends does Campbell provide specific examples?
2. Which of the following describes how the Hebrew tradition referred to the Canaanite Goddess?
3. Who crushed the Albigensians?
4. What does the Church of the Middle Ages indicate that marriages are not?
5. The subject of Chapter 5 is in which of the following forms?
Short Essay Questions
1. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
2. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
3. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
4. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
5. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
6. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
7. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
8. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
9. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
10. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
This section contains 587 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)