|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the Church of the Middle Ages indicate that marriages are not?
(b) Based on love
(c) Social in nature
(d) Political in nature
2. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
(a) beginning of arranged marriage
(b) ending of the idea of celibacy
(c) beginning of the idea of love
(d) evolution of modern western culture
3. With what is the Goddess identified?
4. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
(a) A saint
5. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
(a) No commonalities
(b) Similar features
(c) Common elements
(d) Exact same story, different geographical areas
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is true about sexual desire according to Campbell?
2. What does Campbell indicate will emerge to replace the old traditional mythologies?
3. All of the great religions advocate what in some form with the deity?
4. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
5. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
2. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
3. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
4. How does the hero in a myth become a hero?
5. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
6. What is the Albigensian movement?
7. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
8. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
9. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
10. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
This section contains 521 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)