|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is lacking in relation to the figures unearthed in Europe dating back to the Neolithic period?
(a) Female figures
(b) Male counterparts
(c) Fertility ritual figures
(d) Worship figures
2. What is the bo tree known as?
(a) Tree of life
(b) Tree of new religion
(c) Tree of wisdom
(d) Tree of immortal knowledge
3. To what figure from Germanic and Celtic myths did Campbell expose his students?
(a) Father figures
(b) Mother figures
(c) Clown figures
(d) Archetypical figures
4. What does Jung say about religion?
(a) It is a defense against the experience of God.
(b) It provides order to life.
(c) It is unnecessary.
(d) It provides eternal judgment.
5. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
(a) No way
Short Answer Questions
1. What influence does Campbell indicate leads to the reemergence of the female figure in the Christian religion?
2. Which of the following is a Greek legend from which Campbell quotes?
3. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
4. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
5. Which of the following is immortal and voluntarily participates in the sorrows of the world?
Short Essay Questions
1. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
2. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
3. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
4. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
5. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
6. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
7. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
8. What is a universal desire, according to Campbell?
9. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
10. When and with whom did the concept of romantic love originate?
This section contains 567 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)