|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Campbell indicate that mythologies evolved from after Hunter-Gatherer?
(c) Metal working
2. On what does Campbell indicate that man's view of God depends?
(a) Parent beliefs
(b) Encompassing culture
(c) Own beliefs
(d) Societal norms
3. What does Jung say about religion?
(a) It provides order to life.
(b) It provides eternal judgment.
(c) It is unnecessary.
(d) It is a defense against the experience of God.
4. What image is depicted of the Goddess Nut from Egypt?
(a) Swallowing the moon
(b) Giving birth to the savior
(c) Swallowing the sun
(d) Giving birth to the moon
5. An indication of how Western culture might have evolved had Hebrew mythology not survived can be seen in ___________________________.
(a) religions of South America
(b) religions of Africa
(c) Asian religions
(d) religions of India
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
2. What is lacking in relation to the figures unearthed in Europe dating back to the Neolithic period?
3. What complaint do Campbell and Moyers repeat in Chapter 5?
4. Who do Campbell and Moyers credit with the origination of love?
5. What about life is universally recognized according to Campbell?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
2. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
3. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
4. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
5. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
6. What is the Albigensian movement?
7. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
8. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
9. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
10. The legends of heroes also can describe what besides religions?
This section contains 611 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)