|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following went into solitude and emerged to sit beneath a bo tree?
(a) Jesus Christ
(c) Dalai Lama
2. When does Jesus go into the the desert?
(a) After his baptism
(b) After he is crucified
(c) Before he is baptised
(d) After he begins preaching his message
3. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
(a) beginning of arranged marriage
(b) beginning of the idea of love
(c) ending of the idea of celibacy
(d) evolution of modern western culture
4. Which of the following cultures used the circle to represent the embodiment of the center of their mythology?
5. Whose legend does Campbell recall which is in a similar vein to Sir Gawain's legend?
(d) Iroquois legend
Short Answer Questions
1. In what year was the Albigensian Crusade begun?
2. What is lacking in relation to the figures unearthed in Europe dating back to the Neolithic period?
3. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
4. Which of the following rivers are considered in the Near East?
5. What is the name of Campbell's previously published book?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
2. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
3. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
4. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
5. What does the description of evildoers and their fate teach the members of a society?
6. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
7. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
8. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
9. What is the Albigensian movement?
10. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
This section contains 558 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)