|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
(a) Comparative mythology
2. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
(a) Dalai Lama
(b) Otto Rank
(c) Tibetan Buddhist monks
3. Which of the following went into solitude and emerged to sit beneath a bo tree?
(a) Dalai Lama
(c) Jesus Christ
4. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
5. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Campbell, infidelity goes against which of the following?
2. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
3. Campbell indicates the troubadours and their ideas about love were associated with which movement?
4. Which of the following was not a major river which played an important part in the development of societies and cultures?
5. Buddhist teachings indicate that though there is suffering in life, people should do what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
2. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
3. Where does the author indicate variations in generalized hero legends can be found?
4. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
5. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
6. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
7. In relation to the Neolithic figures that have been unearthed, what issue does Campbell not address?
8. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
9. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
10. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
This section contains 562 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)