|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Whose legend does Campbell recall which is in a similar vein to Sir Gawain's legend?
(a) Iroquois legend
2. The Semitic and Indo-European invaders were mainly what?
(b) Stationary hunters
(c) Hunters and nomads
3. What does Campbell indicate the concept of romantic love stresses in Western culture?
(a) Demands of society
(b) Preeminence of the individual's experience
(c) Chaos of society
(d) Constraints of the society
4. What is the name of Campbell's previously published book?
(a) Tales of Love and Marriage
(b) The Hero with a Thousand Faces
(c) Masks of Eternity
(d) The Hero's Adventure
5. What is God in the Oriental culture?
(a) Keeper of the universe
(b) Creator of the universe
(c) Survivor of the universe
(d) Manifestation of the universe
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following went into solitude and emerged to sit beneath a bo tree?
2. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
3. What is the earth considered throughout myths of the farming era?
4. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
5. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
2. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
3. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
4. What do the myths of the Iroquois beautiful maid and her many suitors, as well as the English tale of Sir Gawain and the Green Knight tell?
5. Instead of the Crucifixion, what does the Oriental tradition describe in relation to Bodhisattva?
6. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
7. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
8. What is the Albigensian movement?
9. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
10. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)