|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What underlying assumption does Campbell make about human development?
(a) It has not changed since the evolution of Homo Sapiens.
(b) It is constantly changing.
(c) It changes with each generation.
(d) It has changed since the beginning of time.
2. What is an important component in the development of mythology?
(a) Study of other culture's myths
(b) Interaction of an individual with society
(c) Societal expectations
(d) Birth manifestation and rituals
3. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
(a) Last stage
(b) Alchemical stage
(c) First stage
(d) Chemical Stage
4. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
5. How does Campbell describe the slaughter of the buffalo herds by the white man in the nineteenth century?
(a) Unheard of
(b) A lie
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Campbell, what is the function of a mythology?
2. What is the end of the inward journey?
3. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
4. What does the birth of an individual become transformed into in myths and legends?
5. What is the focus of Chapter 2?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
2. What do all mythologies have in common?
3. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
4. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
5. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
6. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
7. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
8. What do the Navaho hogans include?
9. In what way are the Assyrian temples similar to the Christian church?
10. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
This section contains 720 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)