|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What kind of powers did plains dwellers attribute to animals and plants?
(a) Supernatural powers
(b) Healing powers
(c) Personified powers
(d) Spiritual powers
2. Where was the physical scope of Biblical mythology?
(a) Middle East
(b) Rome and Italy
(c) Far East
(d) North America
3. Which of the following cannot be divorced from a specific culture and environment from the time it occurs?
(c) Writing of a historical nature
4. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
(a) As an invisible plane
(b) As a vehicle of consciousness
(c) Understanding about life and death
(d) The reality of life and death
5. Which of the following cities is an example of the importance of architecture as an expression of spiritual tenets?
(a) Mexico City
(b) Salt Lake City
(c) New York City
(d) Kansas City
Short Answer Questions
1. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
2. A myth embraces both of the following: ______________________.
3. All mythologies indicate that the idea of God is unknowable and is the what?
4. Which of the following is the best definition for the term "sanctify" as used in the following sentence: "They sanctify their own local landscape."
5. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do all mythologies have in common?
2. In what way are the Assyrian temples similar to the Christian church?
3. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
4. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
5. What happens to myths over time?
6. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
7. What is an integral part of the myths of creation?
8. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
9. What do hunting rituals have in common?
10. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
This section contains 688 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)