|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of the following rituals is land orientation important to the Sioux?
(a) Church building
(b) Pipe smoking ceremony
(c) Wedding ceremony
2. Who were the first storytellers?
3. Which specific cathedral does Campbell indicate he has visited numerous times?
4. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
(a) Historical records
(c) Famous paintings by the great artists
(d) Primitive oral stories
5. Which of the following cannot be divorced from a specific culture and environment from the time it occurs?
(b) Writing of a historical nature
Short Answer Questions
1. What caused the concept of God to become more of a world savior by the Jews?
2. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
3. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
4. What changed about God in the Judeo-Christian group of cultures from preceding societies?
5. How many creatures does Aristophanes tell were created at the beginning of time?
Short Essay Questions
1. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
2. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
3. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
4. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
5. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
6. What are the three universal common legends?
7. What previously published books influenced this text?
8. What is a shaman?
9. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
10. How have myths helped Campbell?
This section contains 603 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)