|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
(a) Chemical Stage
(b) First stage
(c) Last stage
(d) Alchemical stage
2. What is the best definition of a myth?
(a) Society's unspoken rules
(b) Body of stories and legends
(c) Cultural norms
(d) Written history of mankind
3. How many creation myths does Campbell share from the Bible?
4. Which of the following is not one of the more sophisticated concepts of God?
(a) Creator of the World
(b) Giver of life
(c) Ultimate Lord of the Universe
(d) Supreme Being
5. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
Short Answer Questions
1. Campbell tells Moyers that myths have helped him deal with _____________________________.
2. What is the Eucharist believed to be in the Christian religion?
3. In the hunting and gathering society, mythology consisted of appeasing the animal gods. In the farming society it consisted of what?
4. What do the Navaho include in their sand paintings?
5. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
2. What are the three universal common legends?
3. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
4. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
5. What happens to myths over time?
6. What do hunting rituals have in common?
7. How have myths helped Campbell?
8. What previously published books influenced this text?
9. What does the architecture of a city express?
10. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
This section contains 571 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)