|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Campbell, what is the function of a mythology?
(a) To educate the young and give them a means to cope with life
(b) To provide a similar base for all parties upon which to live
(c) To punish those that deviate from society's norms
(d) To record history
2. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
3. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
4. Campbell indicates the Bible describes the evolution of _______________.
(a) How God has changed over time
(b) the historical account of events
(c) The Judeo-Christian concept of God
(d) The story of the life of Jesus
5. What do all of the hunting rituals have in common?
(a) Changing environment or social conditions
(b) Sustainable source of food
(c) The notion of appeasement for taking the life of a wild creature
(d) Elements of cooperation between hunter and prey
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
2. Which of the following is not one of the more sophisticated concepts of God?
3. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about mythology in current society?
4. How many universal themes does Campbell identify?
5. All mythologies indicate that the idea of God is unknowable and is the what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
2. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
3. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
4. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
5. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
6. How did primitive societies associate gods?
7. What does the architecture of a city express?
8. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
9. What do all mythologies have in common?
10. How does Campbell define the function of mythology?
This section contains 644 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)