|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
(b) Social pageantry
(c) Exclusion of classical studies
2. Which of the following is not one of the more sophisticated concepts of God?
(a) Supreme Being
(b) Giver of life
(c) Creator of the World
(d) Ultimate Lord of the Universe
3. What is the end of the inward journey?
(a) God can look inside of us to see our ideals.
(b) God is in each of us.
(c) God is not inside us, but rather an outsider.
(d) To find God in the subconscious is part of all religions.
4. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
5. When did Mexico City have great temples and considered a sacred city?
(a) In the Neolithic period
(b) After the Spaniards invaded
(c) Before the Spaniards invaded
(d) During the middle ages
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a true statement about recurring themes in mythology?
2. Which specific cathedral does Campbell indicate he has visited numerous times?
3. How can a myth or ritual be preserved to the changing environment or social conditions of the culture?
4. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
5. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
2. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
3. What do the Navaho hogans include?
4. How does Campbell describe sexual desire?
5. In what major religious icons can common elements be found?
6. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
7. What do all mythologies have in common?
8. Why could it be said that the suppression of the goddess myths was not complete in the Christian tradition?
9. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
10. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)