|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is not one of the universal themes identified by Campbell?
(d) Identification of God
2. Which of the following is not one of the more sophisticated concepts of God?
(a) Creator of the World
(b) Supreme Being
(c) Giver of life
(d) Ultimate Lord of the Universe
3. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
4. When do dreams become a part of society's myths?
(a) When people share the dreams and metaphors from the dreams
(b) When dreams are interpreted by psychologists
(c) When there are specific actions or symbols in the dreams
(d) When they act out a known society's myth
5. How does Chapter 3 differ from the other chapters in this text?
(a) There is little mention of mythology.
(b) There are no references to Moyers.
(c) There is little mention of eastern religions.
(d) There are little references to Campbell's own personal experiences.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for the term "sanctify" as used in the following sentence: "They sanctify their own local landscape."
2. Which of the following is the best synonym for motif as used in the following sentence: "The motifs of creation and death occurred in both Catholic and American Indian myths."
3. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
4. What is the focus of Chapter 2?
5. How does Campbell describe the slaughter of the buffalo herds by the white man in the nineteenth century?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do hunting rituals have in common?
2. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
3. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
4. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
5. What does the architecture of a city express?
6. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
7. What do the Navaho hogans include?
8. What do all mythologies have in common?
9. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
10. How did primitive societies associate gods?
This section contains 646 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)