|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
2. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
(c) Greek and Roman
3. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
(a) To mark special events in private lives
(b) To mark people by their social standing
(c) To invoke reverence
(d) To provide stability to our culture
4. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
5. Modern churches are built like what according to Campbell?
(d) Office buildings
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
2. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
3. Campbell indicates that it is possible for contradictory versions of a myth can exist in the _______ culture.
4. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
5. Whose myths fascinated Campbell as he was growing up?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
2. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
3. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
4. What do hunting rituals have in common?
5. What do the Navaho hogans include?
6. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
7. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
8. How did primitive societies associate gods?
9. How have myths helped Campbell?
10. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
This section contains 610 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)