|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which of the following rituals is land orientation important to the Sioux?
(a) Church building
(b) Pipe smoking ceremony
(d) Wedding ceremony
2. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Historical significance
(c) Societal norms
(d) Sacred place
3. In medieval times, what does Campbell indicate the clergy did to ordinary people?
4. In primitive societies, gods were often associated with ___________________.
(a) life and death situations
(b) unexplained events
(d) actual objects
5. Where was the physical scope of Biblical mythology?
(a) North America
(b) Rome and Italy
(c) Middle East
(d) Far East
Short Answer Questions
1. How many creatures does Aristophanes tell were created at the beginning of time?
2. A myth embraces both of the following: ______________________.
3. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
4. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
5. What are two principal contributors to the preservation and evolution of myths?
Short Essay Questions
1. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
2. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
3. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
4. What is a shaman?
5. What do hunting rituals have in common?
6. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
7. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
8. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
9. How did primitive societies associate gods?
10. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
This section contains 639 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)