|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How is the snake (from the creation story) regarded in India?
(a) Serpent King
(d) Sacred animal
2. In the hunting and gathering society, mythology consisted of appeasing the animal gods. In the farming society it consisted of what?
(a) Understanding the natural world around them
(b) Appeasing the plant gods
(c) Appeasing weather gods
(d) Success of harvest
3. Campbell tells Moyers that myths have helped him deal with _____________________________.
(a) explaining the importance of myths to others
(b) the death of his relatives
(c) feelings he experiences as he moves into his own last years
(d) acceptance of a life after death
4. What does Campbell state about sacred places?
(a) People visit them enough.
(b) The current society does not value them.
(c) They do not exist.
(d) There are only a few still in existence.
5. Which of the following is not one of the universal themes identified by Campbell?
(d) Identification of God
Short Answer Questions
1. In what time period were the Sumerian seals documented?
2. What do the symbols used in Assyrian temples become in the New Testament?
3. What is the end of the inward journey?
4. The prehistoric cave paintings in Southwest France are an example of ______________________.
5. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. From where does the name of the Ganges River come?
2. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
3. By the middle ages, to what were the preponderance of Cathedrals dedicated?
4. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
5. What does the title of Chapter 5, The Hero's Adventure, indicate to the reader?
6. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
7. How does Campbell describe the acceptance of the concept of romantic love by contemporary western society?
8. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
9. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
10. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
This section contains 599 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)