|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for motif as used in the following sentence: "The motifs of creation and death occurred in both Catholic and American Indian myths."
2. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
(b) No acceptance by society
3. What is the architecture of a city an expression of in a society?
(a) Sacred places
(b) Spiritual tenets
(c) Spiritual powers
(d) Universal sanctification
4. From where did the clergy during medieval times indicate their authority was derived?
(a) Sins of mankind
(b) Inescapable supernatural laws that rule over the natural world
(d) Their own meditations and personal contact with God
5. To what does Campbell compare a cathedral?
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
2. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
3. The accounts of legends in Africa all highlight the basic relationship between _________________.
4. How were myths and legends handed down before the invention of writing?
5. What does the birth of an individual become transformed into in myths and legends?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the mandala in the Buddhist tradition?
2. What is the theme of Chapter 7?
3. What image does Campbell evoke to illustrate what he is trying to convey when he discusses the concept of eternity?
4. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
5. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
6. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
7. What does Campbell indicate is easy to understand in relation to farming societies?
8. How have myths helped Campbell?
9. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
10. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
This section contains 591 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)