|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
(d) Job status
2. Which of the following cities is an example of the importance of architecture as an expression of spiritual tenets?
(a) Kansas City
(b) Salt Lake City
(c) New York City
(d) Mexico City
3. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
(a) Primitive oral stories
(b) Historical records
(d) Famous paintings by the great artists
4. According to Campbell, what is the function of a mythology?
(a) To provide a similar base for all parties upon which to live
(b) To educate the young and give them a means to cope with life
(c) To punish those that deviate from society's norms
(d) To record history
5. From where did the clergy during medieval times indicate their authority was derived?
(b) Their own meditations and personal contact with God
(c) Sins of mankind
(d) Inescapable supernatural laws that rule over the natural world
Short Answer Questions
1. Campbell indicates that it is possible for contradictory versions of a myth can exist in the _______ culture.
2. In the Buddhist and Upanishad traditions, God assumes what gender?
3. Under what condition is death discussed by Campbell?
4. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
5. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is a shaman?
2. What happens when individuals share their dreams with others?
3. What happens to myths over time?
4. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
5. How have myths helped Campbell?
6. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
7. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
8. On what is "The Power of Myth" based?
9. What do all mythologies have in common?
10. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
This section contains 616 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)