|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Campbell state about sacred places?
(a) The current society does not value them.
(b) They do not exist.
(c) There are only a few still in existence.
(d) People visit them enough.
2. Which of the following cultures is an example of a culture which sanctifies its own land?
3. What do all of the hunting rituals have in common?
(a) The notion of appeasement for taking the life of a wild creature
(b) Changing environment or social conditions
(c) Elements of cooperation between hunter and prey
(d) Sustainable source of food
4. What kind of powers did plains dwellers attribute to animals and plants?
(a) Supernatural powers
(b) Personified powers
(c) Healing powers
(d) Spiritual powers
5. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
(a) No acceptance by society
Short Answer Questions
1. The accounts of legends in Africa all highlight the basic relationship between _________________.
2. In what time period were the Sumerian seals documented?
3. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
4. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
5. All mythologies indicate that the idea of God is unknowable and is the what?
Short Essay Questions
1. What did the Roman Catholic Church do which is an example of ritual evolution?
2. What is a shaman?
3. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
4. What are the three universal common legends?
5. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
6. What do hunting rituals have in common?
7. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
8. What is the underlying assumption regarding human development according to Campbell?
9. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
10. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
This section contains 659 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)