|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In primitive societies, gods were often associated with ___________________.
(a) life and death situations
(b) unexplained events
(c) actual objects
2. Which of the following is not one of the more sophisticated concepts of God?
(a) Giver of life
(b) Ultimate Lord of the Universe
(c) Supreme Being
(d) Creator of the World
3. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
4. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
(b) Greek and Roman
5. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
(a) To provide stability to our culture
(b) To mark special events in private lives
(c) To invoke reverence
(d) To mark people by their social standing
Short Answer Questions
1. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about mythology in current society?
2. What do Campbell and Moyers indicate has lost its force and become a mere remnant of the original in regard to marriage?
3. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
4. Who were the first storytellers?
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term "sanctify" as used in the following sentence: "They sanctify their own local landscape."
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
2. What are the three universal common legends?
3. What do the Navaho hogans include?
4. What is a shaman?
5. What are the rituals concerned with after the society has shifted from hunters to farmers?
6. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
7. What does the architecture of a city express?
8. What do Neanderthal graves often include?
9. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
10. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
This section contains 628 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)