|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What part of myths are an unchanging part of mankind's experience?
(a) Myths about human development
(b) Myths about burial rituals
(c) Myths about death and dying
(d) Myths about birth
2. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
(a) Social pageantry
(b) Exclusion of classical studies
3. In which of the following rituals is land orientation important to the Sioux?
(a) Church building
(c) Wedding ceremony
(d) Pipe smoking ceremony
4. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
(c) Human development
5. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
(c) No acceptance by society
Short Answer Questions
1. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
2. All mythologies indicate that the idea of God is unknowable and is the what?
3. What is an important component in the development of mythology?
4. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
5. Campbell tells Moyers that myths have helped him deal with _____________________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
2. What does the architecture of a city express?
3. What does Campbell describe in Chapter 6?
4. What is a shaman?
5. What is the basis for measuring and recording time?
6. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
7. What was different about the Semitic and Indo-European invaders and those that they invaded?
8. What placed the Goddess as a counterpart to the male God who judges and punishes mankind?
9. What are liturgies?
10. Who described an expression of metaphysical idea that life is part of one great dream of a single dreamer?
This section contains 557 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)