|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How were myths and legends handed down before the invention of writing?
(a) They were often lost and not handed down
(b) Rituals only
(c) Rituals and oral traditions
(d) Oral traditions only
2. Whose legends are in direct contrast to the idea that man is superior to animals?
(a) Pawnee legend
(b) Blackfoot Buffalo
(c) Bushmen of Africa
(d) Plains Indians
3. When do dreams become a part of society's myths?
(a) When they act out a known society's myth
(b) When dreams are interpreted by psychologists
(c) When people share the dreams and metaphors from the dreams
(d) When there are specific actions or symbols in the dreams
4. Campbell tells Moyers that myths have helped him deal with _____________________________.
(a) feelings he experiences as he moves into his own last years
(b) acceptance of a life after death
(c) explaining the importance of myths to others
(d) the death of his relatives
5. What are two principal contributors to the preservation and evolution of myths?
(a) People and animals
(b) Artists and shamans
(c) Religious followers and their God
(d) God and followers
Short Answer Questions
1. In primitive societies, gods were often associated with ___________________.
2. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
3. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
4. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
5. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
Short Essay Questions
1. How did primitive societies associate gods?
2. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
3. What do the accounts of legends highlight from early times?
4. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
5. What is the Christian tradition the only one to portray?
6. What do hunting rituals have in common?
7. How does Campbell describe his upbringing?
8. What do places of worship include which are similar across various religions?
9. What do Campbell and Moyers identify the Holy Land as?
10. What is Campbell's and Moyers' stance on the subject of ritual of marriage?
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)