|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Sacred place
(b) Historical significance
(c) Societal norms
2. What part of myths are an unchanging part of mankind's experience?
(a) Myths about birth
(b) Myths about human development
(c) Myths about burial rituals
(d) Myths about death and dying
3. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
(a) Social pageantry
(d) Exclusion of classical studies
4. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
(a) Chemical Stage
(b) First stage
(c) Last stage
(d) Alchemical stage
5. What Indian God is used to describe the idea of killing and eating other living beings?
(c) The destroyer
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the birth of an individual become transformed into in myths and legends?
2. What do Campbell and Moyers indicate has lost its force and become a mere remnant of the original in regard to marriage?
3. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
4. Grave burials which show weapons and possessions are an indication of a belief in ____________________.
5. The accounts of legends in Africa all highlight the basic relationship between _________________.
Short Essay Questions
1. In Plato's Symposium, how is gender defined?
2. What is Chapter 2 mainly about?
3. What do hunting rituals have in common?
4. What are the three universal common legends?
5. What are some universal themes in myths that occur in all societies and all epochs?
6. What happens with the coming of the planting cycle?
7. What is a shaman?
8. What previously published books influenced this text?
9. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about current American society?
10. What happens when different cultures expand their spheres of influence and come into contact with each other?
This section contains 682 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)