|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The person who leaves the existing world is embarking on a _____________.
(a) spiritual wakening
(b) dream quest
2. What two symbols are combined in a powerful union through the Goddess Nut?
(a) Mother earth and the goddess
(b) Heavenly body and mother earth
(c) Moon and sun
(d) Sunrise and sunset
3. From what geographical area is the myth of the princely hunter?
4. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
(a) Is baptised
(b) Goes to the summit of the mountain
(c) Begins preaching his message
(d) Sits under the tree of immortal knowledge
5. Which invaders conquered the established societies in the Fourth Millennium B.C.?
(c) Semitic and Indo-European
6. How do the troubadours describe love?
(a) The ideal
(b) The goal
(c) The only
(d) The means
7. In which previous chapter was the idea of love and marriage discussed?
8. What does Campbell indicate the concept of romantic love stresses in Western culture?
(a) Chaos of society
(b) Demands of society
(c) Preeminence of the individual's experience
(d) Constraints of the society
9. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
(a) evolution of modern western culture
(b) beginning of the idea of love
(c) beginning of arranged marriage
(d) ending of the idea of celibacy
10. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
11. In what year was the Albigensian Crusade begun?
12. In which of the following religions is mankind identified as being included and participating with the deity?
13. On what does Campbell indicate that man's view of God depends?
(a) Societal norms
(b) Parent beliefs
(c) Own beliefs
(d) Encompassing culture
14. What is lacking in relation to the figures unearthed in Europe dating back to the Neolithic period?
(a) Female figures
(b) Male counterparts
(c) Fertility ritual figures
(d) Worship figures
15. All of the great religions advocate what in some form with the deity?
Short Answer Questions
1. The Semitic and Indo-European invaders were mainly what?
2. From what does Campbell indicate society must protect itself?
3. What is the dominant theme of the Mediterranean region's religious history?
4. Which of the following is true about sexual desire according to Campbell?
5. What is a powerful symbol that appears in all religions and cultures?
This section contains 396 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)