|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
2. Whose legend does Campbell recall which is in a similar vein to Sir Gawain's legend?
(d) Iroquois legend
3. How does Campbell indicate that role models for society are created?
(a) The writings from the Gods
(b) Following the rules of the heros
(c) Heroes overcoming challenges
(d) Surviving the evildoers
4. What is God in the Oriental culture?
(a) Keeper of the universe
(b) Survivor of the universe
(c) Creator of the universe
(d) Manifestation of the universe
5. Which of the following historical developments does Campbell trace in Chapter 6?
(a) Western religions
(b) Societies and cultures
(c) Goddess in mythology
(d) Lack of male role models
6. Which legend of knights is used to affirm the idea of romantic love?
(a) Paolo and Fransesca
(b) Tristan and Isolde
(c) King Arthur
(d) Holy Grail
7. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
(d) No way
8. What did Campbell indicate that mythologies evolved from after Hunter-Gatherer?
(d) Metal working
9. To whose epiphany writings does Campbell compare his own athletic experience?
10. Who do Campbell and Moyers credit with the origination of love?
(a) Anglo Saxons
11. Which of the following went into solitude and emerged to sit beneath a bo tree?
(b) Dalai Lama
(c) Jesus Christ
12. What does Jung say about religion?
(a) It provides eternal judgment.
(b) It provides order to life.
(c) It is a defense against the experience of God.
(d) It is unnecessary.
13. Campbell indicates the troubadours and their ideas about love were associated with which movement?
(c) Anglo Saxon
14. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
(a) No commonalities
(b) Common elements
(c) Similar features
(d) Exact same story, different geographical areas
15. What two symbols are combined in a powerful union through the Goddess Nut?
(a) Sunrise and sunset
(b) Mother earth and the goddess
(c) Moon and sun
(d) Heavenly body and mother earth
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following cultures used the circle to represent the embodiment of the center of their mythology?
2. Which of the following is immortal and voluntarily participates in the sorrows of the world?
3. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
4. What is the name of Campbell's previously published book?
5. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
This section contains 454 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)