|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following was not a major river which played an important part in the development of societies and cultures?
2. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
3. What image is depicted of the Goddess Nut from Egypt?
(a) Swallowing the sun
(b) Giving birth to the savior
(c) Giving birth to the moon
(d) Swallowing the moon
4. What is the bo tree known as?
(a) Tree of life
(b) Tree of new religion
(c) Tree of wisdom
(d) Tree of immortal knowledge
5. In what year was the Albigensian Crusade begun?
6. Which of the following describes how the Hebrew tradition referred to the Canaanite Goddess?
(b) Destroying mother earth
(c) Goddess of all
(d) Mother of all that is earth
7. Which of the following is immortal and voluntarily participates in the sorrows of the world?
(c) Jesus Christ
(d) Tibetan Buddhist Monks
8. What did the troubadours become known as?
(a) Love mates
(b) Actors of love
(c) Love doctors
(d) Singers of love
9. Who formalizes the dogma of Mary being the Mother of God?
(a) Roman Catholic Church
(b) Greek culture
(c) Notre Dame Council
(d) Council of Ephesus
10. To what figure from Germanic and Celtic myths did Campbell expose his students?
(a) Mother figures
(b) Clown figures
(c) Archetypical figures
(d) Father figures
11. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
(b) Tibetan Buddhist monks
(c) Dalai Lama
(d) Otto Rank
12. The philosophy of love is grafted onto the underlying saga of whose resistance to the Anglo Saxon invasion of Britian?
13. What does Campbell indicate the concept of romantic love stresses in Western culture?
(a) Chaos of society
(b) Demands of society
(c) Constraints of the society
(d) Preeminence of the individual's experience
14. How is the sunrise depicted by the Goddess Nut in Egypt?
(a) Taking it to the mother earth for renewal
(b) Swallowing it in the west
(c) Combining it with th emoon
(d) Giving birth to it in the east
15. What is the name of Campbell's previously published book?
(a) Masks of Eternity
(b) Tales of Love and Marriage
(c) The Hero with a Thousand Faces
(d) The Hero's Adventure
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be a commonality among all cultures in relation to God according to Campbell?
2. Which of the following rivers are considered in the Near East?
3. What two symbols are combined in a powerful union through the Goddess Nut?
4. What did Campbell indicate that mythologies evolved from after Hunter-Gatherer?
5. What is lacking in relation to the figures unearthed in Europe dating back to the Neolithic period?
This section contains 459 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)