|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
(a) Common elements
(b) Exact same story, different geographical areas
(c) Similar features
(d) No commonalities
2. In what year was the Albigensian Crusade begun?
3. With what is the Goddess identified?
4. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
5. An indication of how Western culture might have evolved had Hebrew mythology not survived can be seen in ___________________________.
(a) Asian religions
(b) religions of India
(c) religions of South America
(d) religions of Africa
6. Who crushed the Albigensians?
(a) The Church of the Middle Ages
(b) Pope John Paul
(c) The Ango Saxons
(d) Pope Innocent III
7. What did the troubadours become known as?
(a) Love mates
(b) Actors of love
(c) Love doctors
(d) Singers of love
8. Who formalizes the dogma of Mary being the Mother of God?
(a) Greek culture
(b) Council of Ephesus
(c) Roman Catholic Church
(d) Notre Dame Council
9. What is a powerful symbol that appears in all religions and cultures?
10. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
(d) Comparative mythology
11. To what does Campbell attempt to equate the beginning of the Reformation?
(a) Martin Luther
(b) Romantic love
(c) Search for the holy grail
12. All of the great religions advocate what in some form with the deity?
13. What image is depicted of the Goddess Nut from Egypt?
(a) Giving birth to the moon
(b) Swallowing the sun
(c) Giving birth to the savior
(d) Swallowing the moon
14. Buddhist teachings indicate that though there is suffering in life, people should do what?
(a) Avoid all pain and sorrow
(b) Ignore pain and sorrow
(c) Confront and endure pain and sorrow
(d) Celebrate pain and sorrow
15. What is the bo tree known as?
(a) Tree of life
(b) Tree of wisdom
(c) Tree of new religion
(d) Tree of immortal knowledge
Short Answer Questions
1. The Semitic and Indo-European invaders were mainly what?
2. What is the earth considered throughout myths of the farming era?
3. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
4. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
5. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
This section contains 398 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)