|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who often arranged for traditional marriage?
(b) Husband to be
2. Which of the following was not a major river which played an important part in the development of societies and cultures?
3. Which of the following went into solitude and emerged to sit beneath a bo tree?
(a) Dalai Lama
(b) Jesus Christ
4. What type of man do Campbell and Moyer say that God is?
5. What does Moses bring back from the summit of the mountain?
(a) Sea scrolls
(b) Ark of the covenent
(c) Ten Commandments
6. How is the sunrise depicted by the Goddess Nut in Egypt?
(a) Giving birth to it in the east
(b) Combining it with th emoon
(c) Taking it to the mother earth for renewal
(d) Swallowing it in the west
7. How does Campbell indicate that role models for society are created?
(a) The writings from the Gods
(b) Surviving the evildoers
(c) Following the rules of the heros
(d) Heroes overcoming challenges
8. An indication of how Western culture might have evolved had Hebrew mythology not survived can be seen in ___________________________.
(a) religions of South America
(b) religions of Africa
(c) Asian religions
(d) religions of India
9. Which of the following historical developments does Campbell trace in Chapter 6?
(a) Goddess in mythology
(b) Western religions
(c) Lack of male role models
(d) Societies and cultures
10. Which invaders conquered the established societies in the Fourth Millennium B.C.?
(a) Semitic and Indo-European
11. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
12. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
(b) Comparative mythology
13. What influence does Campbell indicate leads to the reemergence of the female figure in the Christian religion?
(b) Roman Catholic church
(d) Hebrew people
14. From what does Campbell indicate society must protect itself?
(a) Unconditional love
(b) Romantice love
(c) Chaos of excessive indulgence
(d) Emotional trauma of not finding true love
15. The philosophy of love is grafted onto the underlying saga of whose resistance to the Anglo Saxon invasion of Britian?
Short Answer Questions
1. In which previous chapter was the idea of love and marriage discussed?
2. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
3. What does Campbell indicate will emerge to replace the old traditional mythologies?
4. Which of the following themes best describes the beginning of Chapter 8?
5. What seems to be a commonality among all cultures in relation to God according to Campbell?
This section contains 450 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)