|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who do Campbell and Moyers credit with the origination of love?
(c) Anglo Saxons
2. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
3. When, approximately, did the suppression of the Goddess religions come about?
(a) Third Millenium BC
(b) Fourth Millennium BC
(c) Fifth Millennium BC
(d) Seventh Millennium BC
4. Which of the following rivers are considered in the Near East?
5. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
(a) evolution of modern western culture
(b) beginning of arranged marriage
(c) beginning of the idea of love
(d) ending of the idea of celibacy
6. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
(a) A saint
7. What does Campbell indicate is identified as the natural choice for supreme being?
(d) There is no clear choice
8. Campbell indicates the troubadours and their ideas about love were associated with which movement?
(c) Anglo Saxon
9. Buddhist teachings indicate that though there is suffering in life, people should do what?
(a) Confront and endure pain and sorrow
(b) Celebrate pain and sorrow
(c) Ignore pain and sorrow
(d) Avoid all pain and sorrow
10. Which of the following is immortal and voluntarily participates in the sorrows of the world?
(b) Tibetan Buddhist Monks
(d) Jesus Christ
11. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
(a) Depiction of God as a male figure
(b) Males of both dogmas
(c) Domination of Goddesses in mythology
(d) Similarities between Judeo-Christian and Moslem religions
12. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
(b) Otto Rank
(c) Dalai Lama
(d) Tibetan Buddhist monks
13. Which invaders conquered the established societies in the Fourth Millennium B.C.?
(c) Semitic and Indo-European
14. To what figure from Germanic and Celtic myths did Campbell expose his students?
(a) Father figures
(b) Clown figures
(c) Mother figures
(d) Archetypical figures
15. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
(a) Similar features
(b) No commonalities
(c) Common elements
(d) Exact same story, different geographical areas
Short Answer Questions
1. What seems to be a commonality among all cultures in relation to God according to Campbell?
2. What does Moses bring back from the summit of the mountain?
3. What is the bo tree known as?
4. How do the troubadours describe love?
5. In what year was the Albigensian Crusade begun?
This section contains 444 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)