|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
2. What color was the knight that was linked in a myth with SIr Gawain?
3. Who crushed the Albigensians?
(a) Pope John Paul
(b) The Ango Saxons
(c) Pope Innocent III
(d) The Church of the Middle Ages
4. How do the troubadours describe love?
(a) The means
(b) The ideal
(c) The goal
(d) The only
5. What does the Church of the Middle Ages indicate that marriages are not?
(a) Social in nature
(c) Political in nature
(d) Based on love
6. Campbell and Moyers identify the development of the cult of the individual as being important at the _____________________________________.
(a) beginning of arranged marriage
(b) beginning of the idea of love
(c) evolution of modern western culture
(d) ending of the idea of celibacy
7. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
(a) Tibetan Buddhist monks
(c) Dalai Lama
(d) Otto Rank
8. What is God in the Oriental culture?
(a) Manifestation of the universe
(b) Creator of the universe
(c) Keeper of the universe
(d) Survivor of the universe
9. What does Campbell indicate the concept of romantic love stresses in Western culture?
(a) Chaos of society
(b) Constraints of the society
(c) Preeminence of the individual's experience
(d) Demands of society
10. Which of the following historical developments does Campbell trace in Chapter 6?
(a) Western religions
(b) Goddess in mythology
(c) Societies and cultures
(d) Lack of male role models
11. All of the great religions advocate what in some form with the deity?
12. Who formalizes the dogma of Mary being the Mother of God?
(a) Greek culture
(b) Council of Ephesus
(c) Roman Catholic Church
(d) Notre Dame Council
13. Whose legend does Campbell recall which is in a similar vein to Sir Gawain's legend?
(a) Iroquois legend
14. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
(a) Sits under the tree of immortal knowledge
(b) Begins preaching his message
(c) Goes to the summit of the mountain
(d) Is baptised
15. Which legend of knights is used to affirm the idea of romantic love?
(a) Paolo and Fransesca
(b) Holy Grail
(c) King Arthur
(d) Tristan and Isolde
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following cultures used the circle to represent the embodiment of the center of their mythology?
2. What did the troubadours become known as?
3. Of what kind of myths and legends does Campbell provide specific examples?
4. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
5. What image is depicted of the Goddess Nut from Egypt?
This section contains 445 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)