|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What seems to be a commonality among all cultures in relation to God according to Campbell?
(a) Stories about God to pass down
(b) Introduction of similarities to other Gods
(c) Reliance on God to set rules
(d) Identification and union with God
2. What complaint do Campbell and Moyers repeat in Chapter 5?
(a) There are too many myths in our society.
(b) Modern society does not have adequate myths for the youth.
(c) Youth no longer believes in myths.
(d) Schools do not teach enough mythology.
3. From what geographical area is the myth of the princely hunter?
4. What types of figures which dated back to the Neolithic period were found in Europe?
(b) Virgin Mary
5. What color was the knight that was linked in a myth with SIr Gawain?
6. Of what kind of myths and legends does Campbell provide specific examples?
(a) Those involving life and renewal
(b) Those involving Jesus only
(c) Those involving death and suffering
(d) Those involving rebirth
7. Rather than a means to an end, Campbell said that religion's role is more likely this?
8. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
(a) Similarities between Judeo-Christian and Moslem religions
(b) Depiction of God as a male figure
(c) Males of both dogmas
(d) Domination of Goddesses in mythology
9. What about life is universally recognized according to Campbell?
(a) God is a man.
(b) Life is created by God.
(c) There is more than one God.
(d) There is existance beyond mankind's cognizance.
10. What is lacking in relation to the figures unearthed in Europe dating back to the Neolithic period?
(a) Male counterparts
(b) Worship figures
(c) Fertility ritual figures
(d) Female figures
11. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
12. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
(a) Comparative mythology
13. Which of the following is true about sexual desire according to Campbell?
14. The Semitic and Indo-European invaders were mainly what?
(c) Hunters and nomads
(d) Stationary hunters
15. Which of the following historical developments does Campbell trace in Chapter 6?
(a) Lack of male role models
(b) Societies and cultures
(c) Goddess in mythology
(d) Western religions
Short Answer Questions
1. What comes from the release of fears and sorrows of the world?
2. How is the sunrise depicted by the Goddess Nut in Egypt?
3. To whose epiphany writings does Campbell compare his own athletic experience?
4. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
5. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)