|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which type of societies and cultures identified with the Goddess?
(a) Those in the river valleys
(b) Those near the ocean
(c) Those with the most power and knowledge
(d) Those in the mountains
2. In which culture does the deity include both male and female entities?
3. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
(a) Tibetan Buddhist monks
(c) Otto Rank
(d) Dalai Lama
4. What region has symbols of the bull and boar representing male power?
5. In which of the following religions is mankind identified as being included and participating with the deity?
6. What did the troubadours become known as?
(a) Love mates
(b) Love doctors
(c) Singers of love
(d) Actors of love
7. The Semitic and Indo-European invaders were mainly what?
(a) Hunters and nomads
(b) Stationary hunters
8. Who formalizes the dogma of Mary being the Mother of God?
(a) Notre Dame Council
(b) Roman Catholic Church
(c) Council of Ephesus
(d) Greek culture
9. From what does Campbell indicate society must protect itself?
(a) Romantice love
(b) Chaos of excessive indulgence
(c) Unconditional love
(d) Emotional trauma of not finding true love
10. All of the great religions advocate what in some form with the deity?
11. What does Jesus do when he returns from the desert?
(a) Sits under the tree of immortal knowledge
(b) Goes to the summit of the mountain
(c) Begins preaching his message
(d) Is baptised
12. Which of the following is true about sexual desire according to Campbell?
13. Which legend of knights is used to affirm the idea of romantic love?
(a) Tristan and Isolde
(b) Paolo and Fransesca
(c) King Arthur
(d) Holy Grail
14. The psychology of love does not affect which of the following in regard to knights?
(a) Rules of engagement in tournaments
(b) Tools to be used in tournaments or duels
(c) Rules of engagement in duels
(d) Code of chivalry
15. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
(a) Domination of Goddesses in mythology
(b) Males of both dogmas
(c) Similarities between Judeo-Christian and Moslem religions
(d) Depiction of God as a male figure
Short Answer Questions
1. To what figure from Germanic and Celtic myths did Campbell expose his students?
2. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
3. Whose legend does Campbell recall which is in a similar vein to Sir Gawain's legend?
4. Buddhist teachings indicate that though there is suffering in life, people should do what?
5. To what does Campbell attempt to equate the beginning of the Reformation?
This section contains 447 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)