|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is lacking in relation to the figures unearthed in Europe dating back to the Neolithic period?
(a) Worship figures
(b) Male counterparts
(c) Fertility ritual figures
(d) Female figures
2. What does Campbell indicate is identified as the natural choice for supreme being?
(a) There is no clear choice
3. In what year was the Albigensian Crusade begun?
4. Who crushed the Albigensians?
(a) The Ango Saxons
(b) Pope John Paul
(c) The Church of the Middle Ages
(d) Pope Innocent III
5. What does Campbell indicate the concept of romantic love stresses in Western culture?
(a) Demands of society
(b) Preeminence of the individual's experience
(c) Constraints of the society
(d) Chaos of society
6. What does Jung say about religion?
(a) It is unnecessary.
(b) It provides eternal judgment.
(c) It is a defense against the experience of God.
(d) It provides order to life.
7. What does Campbell say that the fate of evildoers teaches society?
(a) Dire consequences of not being a moral person
(b) The punishments possible in society
(c) How to behave morally
(d) Improve role models standing in society
8. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
(b) A saint
9. What color was the knight that was linked in a myth with SIr Gawain?
10. What influence does Campbell indicate leads to the reemergence of the female figure in the Christian religion?
(a) Roman Catholic church
(c) Hebrew people
11. What did Campbell indicate that mythologies evolved from after Hunter-Gatherer?
(c) Metal working
12. The subject of Chapter 5 is in which of the following forms?
13. Who wrote "The Myth of the Birth of the Hero?"
(a) Dalai Lama
(b) Otto Rank
(d) Tibetan Buddhist monks
14. What seems to be a commonality among all cultures in relation to God according to Campbell?
(a) Introduction of similarities to other Gods
(b) Stories about God to pass down
(c) Identification and union with God
(d) Reliance on God to set rules
15. What does Campbell indicate will emerge to replace the old traditional mythologies?
(a) Stable mythology
(b) Goddess mythology
(c) Global mythology
(d) Galactic mythology
Short Answer Questions
1. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
2. Which invaders conquered the established societies in the Fourth Millennium B.C.?
3. Which of the following describes how the Hebrew tradition referred to the Canaanite Goddess?
4. Which of the following is a Greek legend from which Campbell quotes?
5. To what figure from Germanic and Celtic myths did Campbell expose his students?
This section contains 437 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)