|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To whose epiphany writings does Campbell compare his own athletic experience?
2. What about life is universally recognized according to Campbell?
(a) There is more than one God.
(b) God is a man.
(c) There is existance beyond mankind's cognizance.
(d) Life is created by God.
3. Who do Campbell and Moyers credit with the origination of love?
(c) Anglo Saxons
4. What is a powerful symbol that appears in all religions and cultures?
5. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
(a) Domination of Goddesses in mythology
(b) Similarities between Judeo-Christian and Moslem religions
(c) Depiction of God as a male figure
(d) Males of both dogmas
6. The subject of Chapter 5 is in which of the following forms?
7. Which of the following can be said that occurs in the stories of Jesus Christ, Buddha and Moses?
(a) Exact same story, different geographical areas
(b) Similar features
(c) No commonalities
(d) Common elements
8. To what country's myth does Campbell compare the clown figure?
9. What complaint do Campbell and Moyers repeat in Chapter 5?
(a) Youth no longer believes in myths.
(b) Modern society does not have adequate myths for the youth.
(c) There are too many myths in our society.
(d) Schools do not teach enough mythology.
10. What type of man do Campbell and Moyer say that God is?
11. What influence does Campbell indicate leads to the reemergence of the female figure in the Christian religion?
(a) Hebrew people
(b) Roman Catholic church
12. What does Moses bring back from the summit of the mountain?
(a) Ark of the covenent
(b) Sea scrolls
(d) Ten Commandments
13. Which term best describes the manner in which Campbell and Moyers deal with the knowledge of God and eternity?
(b) No way
14. What does Jung say about religion?
(a) It provides order to life.
(b) It is a defense against the experience of God.
(c) It is unnecessary.
(d) It provides eternal judgment.
15. How is the sunrise depicted by the Goddess Nut in Egypt?
(a) Giving birth to it in the east
(b) Taking it to the mother earth for renewal
(c) Combining it with th emoon
(d) Swallowing it in the west
Short Answer Questions
1. What is God in the Oriental culture?
2. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
3. Which of the following is true about sexual desire according to Campbell?
4. All of the great religions advocate what in some form with the deity?
5. How does Campbell indicate that role models for society are created?
This section contains 458 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)