|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What type of teacher was Campbell that he recounts in Chapter 8?
(c) Comparative mythology
2. What two symbols are combined in a powerful union through the Goddess Nut?
(a) Mother earth and the goddess
(b) Sunrise and sunset
(c) Moon and sun
(d) Heavenly body and mother earth
3. What types of figures which dated back to the Neolithic period were found in Europe?
(d) Virgin Mary
4. Which of the following cultures used the circle to represent the embodiment of the center of their mythology?
5. All of the great religions advocate what in some form with the deity?
6. What is a powerful symbol that appears in all religions and cultures?
7. Campbell indicates the troubadours and their ideas about love were associated with which movement?
(d) Anglo Saxon
8. Who does Moses meet on the summit of a mountain?
9. What does the Church of the Middle Ages indicate that marriages are not?
(a) Social in nature
(b) Based on love
(d) Political in nature
10. What does Moses bring back from the summit of the mountain?
(a) Ten Commandments
(b) Ark of the covenent
(c) Sea scrolls
11. Who often arranged for traditional marriage?
(d) Husband to be
12. To what does Campbell attempt to equate the beginning of the Reformation?
(b) Romantic love
(c) Martin Luther
(d) Search for the holy grail
13. To whose epiphany writings does Campbell compare his own athletic experience?
14. How does Campbell indicate that role models for society are created?
(a) Following the rules of the heros
(b) The writings from the Gods
(c) Heroes overcoming challenges
(d) Surviving the evildoers
15. What does Campbell indicate is a relatively recent development in the history of mankind?
(a) Depiction of God as a male figure
(b) Domination of Goddesses in mythology
(c) Males of both dogmas
(d) Similarities between Judeo-Christian and Moslem religions
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose legend does Campbell recall which is in a similar vein to Sir Gawain's legend?
2. Which of the following describes how the Hebrew tradition referred to the Canaanite Goddess?
3. What is the earth considered throughout myths of the farming era?
4. What influence does Campbell indicate leads to the reemergence of the female figure in the Christian religion?
5. Which of the following best describes how the person on the journey returns?
This section contains 420 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)