|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
(c) No acceptance by society
2. How many creation myths does Campbell share from the Bible?
3. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Sacred place
(b) Societal norms
(c) Historical significance
4. With what do the invaders replace the temple to the Sun?
(a) Nothing, they left the temples intact
(b) Statue of Christ
(c) Temple to the Moon
(d) Catholic Cathedral
5. Which of the following is the best definition for the term "sanctify" as used in the following sentence: "They sanctify their own local landscape."
6. What kind of powers did plains dwellers attribute to animals and plants?
(a) Supernatural powers
(b) Spiritual powers
(c) Personified powers
(d) Healing powers
7. Meditation of the yogis in the Himalayas leads each individual to _______________________.
(a) find God within himself/herself
(b) identify themselves with Shiva
(c) suspend thoughts and stress
(d) provide time to reflect on life
8. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
(a) Who recorded it
(b) Geographic context
(d) Point of view
9. Under what condition is death discussed by Campbell?
(a) The condition of life after death
(b) The condition of mankind's understanding of death
(c) The condition of God's role in death
(d) The condition of birth and death being the cycle of life
10. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
(a) As an invisible plane
(b) The reality of life and death
(c) Understanding about life and death
(d) As a vehicle of consciousness
11. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
(a) Face of God
(b) Face of Heaven
(c) Face of saviors
(d) Face of Glory
12. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
(a) Job status
13. In what time period were the Sumerian seals documented?
(a) 3500 BC
(b) 3500 AD
(c) 4000 BC
(d) 2000 BC
14. The accounts of legends in Africa all highlight the basic relationship between _________________.
(a) religious leaders and God
(b) life and death
(c) people and God
(d) hunters and prey
15. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
Short Answer Questions
1. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
2. How many creatures does Aristophanes tell were created at the beginning of time?
3. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
4. What changed about God in the Judeo-Christian group of cultures from preceding societies?
5. Modern churches are built like what according to Campbell?
This section contains 455 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)