|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best definition for the term "sanctify" as used in the following sentence: "They sanctify their own local landscape."
2. With what do the invaders replace the temple to the Sun?
(a) Nothing, they left the temples intact
(b) Statue of Christ
(c) Catholic Cathedral
(d) Temple to the Moon
3. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about mythology in current society?
(a) There are no rituals and mythology.
(b) There is a lack of effective ritual and mythology.
(c) There is too much effective ritual and mythology.
(d) There is just the right amount of effective ritual and mythology.
4. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
(a) subconscious mythic images
(b) mythic images seen throughout society
(c) unwanted desires which cannot be suppressed
(d) subconscious desires
5. What caused the concept of God to become more of a world savior by the Jews?
(a) Roman conquering of many different lands
(b) Hebrews becoming a major force in the East Mediterranean region
(c) Hebrews fighting with the Romans
(d) The Crusades
6. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
(a) Greek and Roman
7. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
8. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
9. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
10. Which of the following cannot be divorced from a specific culture and environment from the time it occurs?
(a) Writing of a historical nature
11. How does Chapter 3 differ from the other chapters in this text?
(a) There is little mention of mythology.
(b) There is little mention of eastern religions.
(c) There are no references to Moyers.
(d) There are little references to Campbell's own personal experiences.
12. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Societal norms
(c) Historical significance
(d) Sacred place
13. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
(b) Social pageantry
(c) Exclusion of classical studies
14. What do the symbols used in Assyrian temples become in the New Testament?
15. Whose legends are in direct contrast to the idea that man is superior to animals?
(a) Plains Indians
(b) Pawnee legend
(c) Bushmen of Africa
(d) Blackfoot Buffalo
Short Answer Questions
1. Which specific cathedral does Campbell indicate he has visited numerous times?
2. What is an important component in the development of mythology?
3. From where did the clergy during medieval times indicate their authority was derived?
4. When do dreams become a part of society's myths?
5. What is the end of the inward journey?
This section contains 553 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)