|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Campbell call the cave paintings?
(a) Spiritual Life
(b) Cultural transitions
(c) Landscapes of the soul
2. How can a myth or ritual be preserved to the changing environment or social conditions of the culture?
(a) Written dialogue
(c) Oral traditions
(d) Religious ceremonies
3. How were myths and legends handed down before the invention of writing?
(a) They were often lost and not handed down
(b) Oral traditions only
(c) Rituals only
(d) Rituals and oral traditions
4. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
(a) The birth of a great Sioux leader
(b) Tragic fate for his people
(c) Peace between the Sioux and the white man
(d) The annihilation of the buffalo
5. In the Buddhist and Upanishad traditions, God assumes what gender?
(c) Neither female or male, but is both
6. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
(c) No acceptance by society
7. Which of the following is not one of the universal themes identified by Campbell?
(b) Identification of God
8. The prehistoric cave paintings in Southwest France are an example of ______________________.
(a) the role of the artist in recording myths
(b) the role of shamans in recording myths
(c) how traditions were shared throughout time
(d) how traditions and ideas are shared across cultures
9. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
(a) unwanted desires which cannot be suppressed
(b) subconscious mythic images
(c) subconscious desires
(d) mythic images seen throughout society
10. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
(d) Job status
11. How many universal themes does Campbell identify?
12. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
(a) To mark people by their social standing
(b) To mark special events in private lives
(c) To provide stability to our culture
(d) To invoke reverence
13. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
14. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
15. From where did the clergy during medieval times indicate their authority was derived?
(a) Inescapable supernatural laws that rule over the natural world
(c) Sins of mankind
(d) Their own meditations and personal contact with God
Short Answer Questions
1. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
2. When the Jews were in Babylon their God was ____________.
3. In what time period were the Sumerian seals documented?
4. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
5. What do the symbols used in Assyrian temples become in the New Testament?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)