|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Campbell say that architecture forms in Western Society?
(a) Tangible records of history and transformation
(b) Architecture's importance to religion
(c) Symbols of representing spiritual principles
(d) Surprising use of places of worship in a society
2. Whose legends are in direct contrast to the idea that man is superior to animals?
(a) Pawnee legend
(b) Plains Indians
(c) Blackfoot Buffalo
(d) Bushmen of Africa
3. What does the birth of an individual become transformed into in myths and legends?
(a) Creation of mankind
(b) Life and death
(c) Birth of God
(d) Renewal and spiritual healing
4. Which specific cathedral does Campbell indicate he has visited numerous times?
5. What can be said to reappear over and over throughout various mythologies?
6. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
(a) Point of view
(b) Geographic context
(d) Who recorded it
7. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
8. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
(a) Face of God
(b) Face of saviors
(c) Face of Heaven
(d) Face of Glory
9. How were myths and legends handed down before the invention of writing?
(a) Rituals only
(b) Rituals and oral traditions
(c) Oral traditions only
(d) They were often lost and not handed down
10. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
11. When the Jews were in Babylon their God was ____________.
(a) The savior
(b) A local tribal god
(c) The same as the present day god
12. Whose myths fascinated Campbell as he was growing up?
(a) American Indians
13. Where was it especially common to find early societies assigning special powers to plants and animals?
(a) Low lands
(b) On plateaus or plains
(c) High places such as mountains
(d) Near rivers or streams
14. Which of the following cultures is an example of a culture which sanctifies its own land?
15. Campbell indicates the Bible describes the evolution of _______________.
(a) The Judeo-Christian concept of God
(b) How God has changed over time
(c) The story of the life of Jesus
(d) the historical account of events
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
2. What is the end of the inward journey?
3. Meditation of the yogis in the Himalayas leads each individual to _______________________.
4. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
5. What is the architecture of a city an expression of in a society?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)