|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
2. Modern churches are built like what according to Campbell?
(a) Office buildings
3. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
(a) Through written stories
(b) Cave paintings and rock art
(c) In the Bible
(d) Songs and stories
4. In the Pawnee legend, how does Tirawa tell man he will show himself?
(a) Through the stars and planets
(b) Through animals interactions with humans
(c) Through the hunters
(d) Through animals and heavenly bodies
5. When the Jews were in Babylon their God was ____________.
(a) The same as the present day god
(b) The savior
(d) A local tribal god
6. Who were the first storytellers?
7. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
8. What does Campbell say that architecture forms in Western Society?
(a) Surprising use of places of worship in a society
(b) Symbols of representing spiritual principles
(c) Tangible records of history and transformation
(d) Architecture's importance to religion
9. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Sacred place
(b) Societal norms
(c) Historical significance
10. What do the Navaho include in their sand paintings?
(b) Mythologized animals figures
(d) White men
11. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
12. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
(a) To invoke reverence
(b) To mark people by their social standing
(c) To mark special events in private lives
(d) To provide stability to our culture
13. Which of the following cities is an example of the importance of architecture as an expression of spiritual tenets?
(a) Mexico City
(b) Salt Lake City
(c) Kansas City
(d) New York City
14. In what time period were the Sumerian seals documented?
(a) 4000 BC
(b) 2000 BC
(c) 3500 BC
(d) 3500 AD
15. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about mythology in current society?
(a) There are no rituals and mythology.
(b) There is a lack of effective ritual and mythology.
(c) There is just the right amount of effective ritual and mythology.
(d) There is too much effective ritual and mythology.
Short Answer Questions
1. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
2. What does Campbell state about sacred places?
3. In the hunting and gathering society, mythology consisted of appeasing the animal gods. In the farming society it consisted of what?
4. What is the focus of Chapter 2?
5. What Indian God is used to describe the idea of killing and eating other living beings?
This section contains 473 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)