|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The accounts of legends in Africa all highlight the basic relationship between _________________.
(a) hunters and prey
(b) people and God
(c) religious leaders and God
(d) life and death
2. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
(c) Human development
3. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
(a) Alchemical stage
(b) Chemical Stage
(c) Last stage
(d) First stage
4. What are two principal contributors to the preservation and evolution of myths?
(a) Artists and shamans
(b) God and followers
(c) Religious followers and their God
(d) People and animals
5. What part of myths are an unchanging part of mankind's experience?
(a) Myths about birth
(b) Myths about burial rituals
(c) Myths about death and dying
(d) Myths about human development
6. All mythologies indicate that the idea of God is unknowable and is the what?
(a) Ultimate explanation
(b) Ultimate mystery
(c) Beyond nature
(d) Ultimate goal
7. Which of the following best describes the main idea of this text?
(a) Doctoral thesis
(b) Ideas about changing ancient myths
(c) Universality and evolution of myths through history
(d) History of the human race
8. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
(a) Cave paintings and rock art
(b) Songs and stories
(c) Through written stories
(d) In the Bible
9. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
10. Which of the following is not one of the universal themes identified by Campbell?
(b) Identification of God
11. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Societal norms
(b) Sacred place
(d) Historical significance
12. In primitive societies, gods were often associated with ___________________.
(a) actual objects
(b) unexplained events
(d) life and death situations
13. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
14. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
(a) Understanding about life and death
(b) The reality of life and death
(c) As a vehicle of consciousness
(d) As an invisible plane
15. Campbell indicates the Bible describes the evolution of _______________.
(a) the historical account of events
(b) The story of the life of Jesus
(c) How God has changed over time
(d) The Judeo-Christian concept of God
Short Answer Questions
1. In the Pawnee legend, how does Tirawa tell man he will show himself?
2. What can be said to reappear over and over throughout various mythologies?
3. Campbell indicates that it is possible for contradictory versions of a myth can exist in the _______ culture.
4. In medieval times, what does Campbell indicate the clergy did to ordinary people?
5. Which of the following could be considered a vestige of an earlier Hunter-Gatherer myth?
This section contains 484 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)