|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
(a) Last stage
(b) Chemical Stage
(c) First stage
(d) Alchemical stage
2. What is the Eucharist believed to be in the Christian religion?
(a) Water to wine
(b) Body of Christ
(c) Blood of Christ
(d) Religious food
3. What can be said to reappear over and over throughout various mythologies?
4. Which of the following best describes the main idea of this text?
(a) History of the human race
(b) Universality and evolution of myths through history
(c) Ideas about changing ancient myths
(d) Doctoral thesis
5. What does Campbell state about sacred places?
(a) The current society does not value them.
(b) There are only a few still in existence.
(c) People visit them enough.
(d) They do not exist.
6. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
7. Of which general religion is Campbell?
8. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
9. In the hunting and gathering society, mythology consisted of appeasing the animal gods. In the farming society it consisted of what?
(a) Success of harvest
(b) Appeasing weather gods
(c) Understanding the natural world around them
(d) Appeasing the plant gods
10. Which of the following is the best definition for the term "sanctify" as used in the following sentence: "They sanctify their own local landscape."
11. How many universal themes does Campbell identify?
12. How were myths and legends handed down before the invention of writing?
(a) Oral traditions only
(b) They were often lost and not handed down
(c) Rituals only
(d) Rituals and oral traditions
13. In medieval times, what does Campbell indicate the clergy did to ordinary people?
14. With what do the invaders replace the temple to the Sun?
(a) Nothing, they left the temples intact
(b) Statue of Christ
(c) Temple to the Moon
(d) Catholic Cathedral
15. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
Short Answer Questions
1. When did Mexico City have great temples and considered a sacred city?
2. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
3. To what does Campbell compare a cathedral?
4. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
5. Which specific cathedral does Campbell indicate he has visited numerous times?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)