|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The accounts of legends in Africa all highlight the basic relationship between _________________.
(a) life and death
(b) hunters and prey
(c) religious leaders and God
(d) people and God
2. Under what condition is death discussed by Campbell?
(a) The condition of God's role in death
(b) The condition of life after death
(c) The condition of mankind's understanding of death
(d) The condition of birth and death being the cycle of life
3. Campbell tells Moyers that myths have helped him deal with _____________________________.
(a) explaining the importance of myths to others
(b) feelings he experiences as he moves into his own last years
(c) the death of his relatives
(d) acceptance of a life after death
4. What does Campbell state about sacred places?
(a) They do not exist.
(b) The current society does not value them.
(c) There are only a few still in existence.
(d) People visit them enough.
5. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
6. Campbell indicates that it is possible for contradictory versions of a myth can exist in the _______ culture.
7. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
8. What is the best definition of a myth?
(a) Body of stories and legends
(b) Cultural norms
(c) Society's unspoken rules
(d) Written history of mankind
9. In the Pawnee legend, how does Tirawa tell man he will show himself?
(a) Through the hunters
(b) Through animals and heavenly bodies
(c) Through the stars and planets
(d) Through animals interactions with humans
10. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
(b) Historical records
(c) Famous paintings by the great artists
(d) Primitive oral stories
11. Why are contemporary rituals carried out?
(a) To invoke reverence
(b) To provide stability to our culture
(c) To mark special events in private lives
(d) To mark people by their social standing
12. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
13. What is the focus of Chapter 2?
(a) Origin of myths and mythic images
(b) Birth's role in mythology
(d) Interaction of individuals
14. In medieval times, what does Campbell indicate the clergy did to ordinary people?
15. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
(a) Geographic context
(b) Who recorded it
(c) Point of view
Short Answer Questions
1. When the Jews were in Babylon their God was ____________.
2. Meditation of the yogis in the Himalayas leads each individual to _______________________.
3. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about mythology in current society?
4. A myth embraces both of the following: ______________________.
5. Which of the following is a true statement about recurring themes in mythology?
This section contains 550 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)