|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How many creatures does Aristophanes tell were created at the beginning of time?
2. When do dreams become a part of society's myths?
(a) When people share the dreams and metaphors from the dreams
(b) When they act out a known society's myth
(c) When there are specific actions or symbols in the dreams
(d) When dreams are interpreted by psychologists
3. To what does Campbell compare a cathedral?
4. What do all of the hunting rituals have in common?
(a) Changing environment or social conditions
(b) Sustainable source of food
(c) Elements of cooperation between hunter and prey
(d) The notion of appeasement for taking the life of a wild creature
5. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
6. In medieval times, what does Campbell indicate the clergy did to ordinary people?
7. From where did the clergy during medieval times indicate their authority was derived?
(a) Their own meditations and personal contact with God
(b) Inescapable supernatural laws that rule over the natural world
(d) Sins of mankind
8. What underlying assumption does Campbell make about human development?
(a) It has not changed since the evolution of Homo Sapiens.
(b) It changes with each generation.
(c) It has changed since the beginning of time.
(d) It is constantly changing.
9. What is the Eucharist believed to be in the Christian religion?
(a) Body of Christ
(b) Religious food
(c) Water to wine
(d) Blood of Christ
10. Which of the following is a true statement about recurring themes in mythology?
(a) They provide truths only about specific cultures and societies.
(b) They portray universal and eternal truths about mankind.
(c) They allow for cultural norms to be explored by generations living them.
(d) They represent the norms of specific generations.
11. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
(a) As an invisible plane
(b) As a vehicle of consciousness
(c) Understanding about life and death
(d) The reality of life and death
12. Grave burials which show weapons and possessions are an indication of a belief in ____________________.
(a) life after death
(c) burial rituals
13. Modern churches are built like what according to Campbell?
(a) Office buildings
14. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
(b) Human development
15. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
(a) The birth of a great Sioux leader
(b) Tragic fate for his people
(c) Peace between the Sioux and the white man
(d) The annihilation of the buffalo
Short Answer Questions
1. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
2. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
3. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
4. The prehistoric cave paintings in Southwest France are an example of ______________________.
5. Which of the following cannot be divorced from a specific culture and environment from the time it occurs?
This section contains 507 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)