|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. A myth embraces both of the following: ______________________.
(a) an individual's internal image and those of society manifested in external forms
(b) an individual's internal image and society rules
(c) perception and perseverance
(d) external imaging and society rules
2. How does Chapter 3 differ from the other chapters in this text?
(a) There is little mention of eastern religions.
(b) There are little references to Campbell's own personal experiences.
(c) There is little mention of mythology.
(d) There are no references to Moyers.
3. Which of the following is an intrinsic part of society's culture?
4. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
(c) Job status
5. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
(a) Social pageantry
(b) Exclusion of classical studies
6. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
(b) Human development
7. What part of myths are an unchanging part of mankind's experience?
(a) Myths about human development
(b) Myths about birth
(c) Myths about death and dying
(d) Myths about burial rituals
8. Campbell indicates the Bible describes the evolution of _______________.
(a) How God has changed over time
(b) The Judeo-Christian concept of God
(c) the historical account of events
(d) The story of the life of Jesus
9. To what does Campbell compare the caves with cave drawings?
(a) Historical records
(b) Primitive oral stories
(c) Famous paintings by the great artists
10. What do the Navaho include in their sand paintings?
(c) Mythologized animals figures
(d) White men
11. How is the snake (from the creation story) regarded in India?
(a) Serpent King
(c) Sacred animal
12. Which of the following is another name for Mexico City?
13. How does Campbell indicate all love affairs will end?
(b) No acceptance by society
14. Whose legends are in direct contrast to the idea that man is superior to animals?
(a) Blackfoot Buffalo
(b) Pawnee legend
(c) Plains Indians
(d) Bushmen of Africa
15. In primitive societies, gods were often associated with ___________________.
(a) life and death situations
(c) actual objects
(d) unexplained events
Short Answer Questions
1. In medieval times, what does Campbell indicate the clergy did to ordinary people?
2. Modern churches are built like what according to Campbell?
3. What is an important component in the development of mythology?
4. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
5. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
This section contains 442 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)