|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. To what does Campbell compare a cathedral?
2. What does Black Elk see in his vision?
(a) Tragic fate for his people
(b) The birth of a great Sioux leader
(c) The annihilation of the buffalo
(d) Peace between the Sioux and the white man
3. In the Buddhist and Upanishad traditions, God assumes what gender?
(b) Neither female or male, but is both
4. How many creatures does Aristophanes tell were created at the beginning of time?
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
6. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
7. What is the Eucharist believed to be in the Christian religion?
(a) Blood of Christ
(b) Religious food
(c) Water to wine
(d) Body of Christ
8. Which of the following could be considered an example of a paramount modern social institution?
(b) Job status
9. In medieval times, what does Campbell indicate the clergy did to ordinary people?
10. What is the best definition of a myth?
(a) Written history of mankind
(b) Society's unspoken rules
(c) Body of stories and legends
(d) Cultural norms
11. Campbell indicates the Bible describes the evolution of _______________.
(a) How God has changed over time
(b) the historical account of events
(c) The story of the life of Jesus
(d) The Judeo-Christian concept of God
12. Of which general religion is Campbell?
13. What underlying assumption does Campbell make about human development?
(a) It has not changed since the evolution of Homo Sapiens.
(b) It is constantly changing.
(c) It changes with each generation.
(d) It has changed since the beginning of time.
14. Who were the first storytellers?
15. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
(b) Exclusion of classical studies
(c) Social pageantry
Short Answer Questions
1. What kind of powers did plains dwellers attribute to animals and plants?
2. What does Campbell say that architecture forms in Western Society?
3. Whose myths fascinated Campbell as he was growing up?
4. Modern churches are built like what according to Campbell?
5. Which of the following is the best synonym for motif as used in the following sentence: "The motifs of creation and death occurred in both Catholic and American Indian myths."
This section contains 423 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)