|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What do Campbell and Moyers claim has led to a lack of awareness of mythological foundations of western society's heritage?
(b) Social pageantry
(c) Exclusion of classical studies
2. Which of the following is not one of the more sophisticated concepts of God?
(a) Supreme Being
(b) Giver of life
(c) Creator of the World
(d) Ultimate Lord of the Universe
3. What is the end of the inward journey?
(a) God can look inside of us to see our ideals.
(b) God is in each of us.
(c) God is not inside us, but rather an outsider.
(d) To find God in the subconscious is part of all religions.
4. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
5. When did Mexico City have great temples and considered a sacred city?
(a) In the Neolithic period
(b) After the Spaniards invaded
(c) Before the Spaniards invaded
(d) During the middle ages
6. Which of the following is a true statement about recurring themes in mythology?
(a) They portray universal and eternal truths about mankind.
(b) They represent the norms of specific generations.
(c) They provide truths only about specific cultures and societies.
(d) They allow for cultural norms to be explored by generations living them.
7. Which specific cathedral does Campbell indicate he has visited numerous times?
8. How can a myth or ritual be preserved to the changing environment or social conditions of the culture?
(a) Oral traditions
(c) Religious ceremonies
(d) Written dialogue
9. Campbell say that dreams are a manifestation of ____________________.
(a) mythic images seen throughout society
(b) subconscious mythic images
(c) subconscious desires
(d) unwanted desires which cannot be suppressed
10. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Sacred place
(b) Societal norms
(c) Historical significance
11. The monster who devours himself until only his face is left becomes a symbol of the ____________.
(a) Face of Glory
(b) Face of Heaven
(c) Face of God
(d) Face of saviors
12. What does Campbell say that he finds is an ideal place for meditation?
13. Whose myths fascinated Campbell as he was growing up?
(a) American Indians
14. Of which general religion is Campbell?
15. Where can the myths and legends of the hunters and gatherers be found?
(a) Through written stories
(b) In the Bible
(c) Cave paintings and rock art
(d) Songs and stories
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is the best synonym for the term contradictory?
2. Which of the following is another name for Mexico City?
3. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
4. What is the stage in marriage where a mythological image embodies the sacrifice of the visible for a transcendent good?
5. With what do the invaders replace the temple to the Sun?
This section contains 470 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)