|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In primitive societies, gods were often associated with ___________________.
(b) actual objects
(c) life and death situations
(d) unexplained events
2. On what topic does Campbell open the discussion in Chapter 3?
(d) Human development
3. Campbell indicates that it is possible for contradictory versions of a myth can exist in the _______ culture.
4. Why do Campbell and Moyers say people visit the Holy Land?
(a) Historical significance
(b) Sacred place
(c) Societal norms
5. Which of the following religions is the only one to portray the serpent as seducer?
6. Where was the physical scope of Biblical mythology?
(a) Far East
(b) Rome and Italy
(c) North America
(d) Middle East
7. Which of the following plays a role in the evolution of a specific mythology?
(b) Point of view
(c) Who recorded it
(d) Geographic context
8. What is the best definition of a myth?
(a) Society's unspoken rules
(b) Cultural norms
(c) Written history of mankind
(d) Body of stories and legends
9. What types of media did the first storytellers use to create art?
10. What is the end of the inward journey?
(a) God is not inside us, but rather an outsider.
(b) God is in each of us.
(c) To find God in the subconscious is part of all religions.
(d) God can look inside of us to see our ideals.
11. What Indian God is used to describe the idea of killing and eating other living beings?
(d) The destroyer
12. What conclusion do Campbell and Moyers reach about mythology in current society?
(a) There are no rituals and mythology.
(b) There is a lack of effective ritual and mythology.
(c) There is just the right amount of effective ritual and mythology.
(d) There is too much effective ritual and mythology.
13. How does Campbell describe the slaughter of the buffalo herds by the white man in the nineteenth century?
(b) A lie
(d) Unheard of
14. Western society studied the mythology of which of the following other cultures as part of its heritage?
(b) Greek and Roman
15. How have myths helped Campbell view his body?
(a) As an invisible plane
(b) As a vehicle of consciousness
(c) Understanding about life and death
(d) The reality of life and death
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Campbell state about sacred places?
2. In which of the following rituals is land orientation important to the Sioux?
3. Which of the following is a true statement about recurring themes in mythology?
4. How many signs of the zodiac are incorporated into Assyrian temples?
5. Which of the following is another name for Mexico City?
This section contains 479 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)