|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Moses want to build a huge park?
2. What does Moses develop in this section?
3. Whose design does Moses use to build a tunnel in this section?
4. What does Gleason want to investigate?
5. Why can Lindsay not get rid of Moses?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does World War II give Moses the opportunity to do?
2. How does society start to reward Moses towards the end of his life?
3. What problems does Moses have with the international organization that sanctions the World Fair?
4. How does Moses respond to complaints from the New York public that there is too much traffic?
5. How does Moses' situation change in Part 6, Chapter 32?
6. How does the construction of the highway change Tremont Street?
7. How does Moses respond to his wife's illness and eventual death?
8. What problem does New York City have with some of its buildings in Part 5, Chapter 34?
9. What extra authority do the succeeding governors give Moses in Part 6, Chapter 33?
10. How does Moses deal with people who will not move out of their apartments?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Identify the main themes of the story. Why do you think these themes are so important to the story? How does Caro use character and setting to express these themes?
Essay Topic 2
Use one of the following questions or statements to write a 500-word essay:
1) How did the Moses family build itself into a position of wealth?
2) Moses could not have achieved what he did in his life without the success of his family.
3) How did Moses' family instill in him a need to be successful?
Essay Topic 3
Examine Caro's point of view.
1) How does Caro present Moses in his book?
2) In what can Moses claim that Caro's point of view was unfair and some of the information he presented was unsubstantiated?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)