|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What position does O'Dwyer now hold?
2. Which of the following names are suggested as a name for the dam?
3. Which of the following structures did Moses not build?
4. What does Rockefeller want access to to build his projects?
5. How does Moses think he can solve the problem of traffic congestion?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Moses' situation change in Part 6, Chapter 32?
2. What does Gleason uncover about Moses in Part 7, Chapter 43?
3. How does Moses respond to his wife's illness and eventual death?
4. Why does the mayor not fire Moses?
5. What does Lindsay decide in January, 1966?
6. Why wouldn't firing Moses diminish his power?
7. How does Moses try and fail to support Constable in charging admission for the plays?
8. How does Moses deal with people who will not move out of their apartments?
9. How is Moses able to maintain a good life even though he is not rich?
10. What leads to the decay of the mass transit system?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Examine Caro's writing style. How would you describe her prose style? What kind of vocabulary does she use? Does she use any specific writing techniques? What meaning does Caro's style give to his story?
Essay Topic 2
Examine the criticisms of Moses in relation to the following:
1) Moses' promotion of the automobile
2) Moses' attitude towards power
3) Moses' stance on New York City's poorer neighborhoods
Essay Topic 3
1) What is Progressivism?
2) Who were the advocates of Progressivism and how has Progressivism affected political thinking?
3) What are the strengths and weaknesses of Progressivism?
This section contains 771 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)