|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who sends Sam to prison so he can be with Pickwick?
2. Who does Winkle want to tell Ben Allen about his engagement to Arabella?
3. What is the name of Mrs. Bardell's attorney?
4. Who does Ben Allen want his sister to marry?
5. Why does Ben Allen start beating up a servant when he hears of Arabella's elopement?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom Roker do for Pickwick in prison?
2. How does Mrs. Raddle treat her husband?
3. What does Sam say to Tony about Susan while they are in a courtroom, and what is Tony's response to this?
4. Why does Winkle run off to Bristol?
5. How does Mr. Perker suggest handling the dispute between Mr. Winkle and his father?
6. Why does Pickwick hesitate in allowing Winkle to go and see Arabella in Bristol?
7. What does Sam Weller do when he first meets Smangle?
8. What does Mr. Pickwick choose to do after he is found guilty, and why?
9. Why is Mrs. Bardell sent back to London while on her trip?
10. What does Pickwick do when he is awakened on his first night in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Bardell displays a very controlling nature in this book. How does her need for control affect the people around her, and why is this controlling nature so significant for the time setting of this book?
Essay Topic 2
What happens to Mr. Winkle's parents, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in these scenes, and what do these events symbolize?
Essay Topic 3
How does the relationship between Emily and Snodgrass change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
This section contains 667 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)