|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Sergeant Snubbin's occupation?
2. What does Susan reprimand Sam for while he is in prison?
3. Why does Sam feel such a desire to stay in prison with Pickwick?
4. Why does Mrs. Bardell think she is being taken back to London?
5. What does Stiggins drink when he asks about Susan's will?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to Mr. Pickwick because of the prank played at the inn in Towcester?
2. What does Sam Weller do when he first meets Smangle?
3. What does Pickwick do for Jingle and Trotter after they are released from prison?
4. How is the weekly menu used against Pickwick in the trial?
5. What did Mr. Winkle Sr. say when he heard of his son's elopement?
6. What happens at the temperance meeting that Tony takes Sam to?
7. How does Mrs. Raddle treat her husband?
8. What does Smangle do on Pickwick's first night in prison?
9. What does Mr. Perker say about Pickwick's case, and what is Pickwick's response to this?
10. What does Snodgrass do to make Mr. Wardle happy with him after his suspicious behavior?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Mrs. Bardell displays a very controlling nature in this book. How does her need for control affect the people around her, and why is this controlling nature so significant for the time setting of this book?
Essay Topic 2
How does the relationship between Emily and Snodgrass change throughout the course of the plot, and how do these changes affect the characters around them?
Essay Topic 3
This book takes place in a few different settings. Describe some of these settings and how they affected the plot. Why might Dickens have chosen these particular places for this plot to take place?
This section contains 697 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)