|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What name is signed on the Valentine card for Mary?
2. Who hires Mary as a maid?
3. Who sends Mary a Valentine card?
4. Why does Winkle Sr. object to the match between Arabella and his son?
5. How does Jingle feel when he is released from prison?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pickwick hesitate in allowing Winkle to go and see Arabella in Bristol?
2. What does Pickwick do for Jingle and Trotter after they are released from prison?
3. What happens at the temperance meeting that Tony takes Sam to?
4. Why does Mr. Wardle say he has come to London?
5. What did Mr. Winkle Sr. say when he heard of his son's elopement?
6. What does Sam say to Pickwick before he is put in prison, and what is Pickwick's response to this?
7. Why is Mr. Pott so happy to hear that Winkle is married?
8. How does Mrs. Raddle treat her husband?
9. What does Sam say when he is called to the witness stand?
10. What does Mr. Pickwick choose to do after he is found guilty, and why?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a satire. What kind of things is Dickens being satirical about, and how does this tone affect the feeling and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Ben Allen and Bob Sawyer are similar characters in this book, and yet there are some marked differences even though they are twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
Essay Topic 3
Arabella has an important choice to make after hearing about Winkle's feelings for her. What is this choice, how does she make her decision, and how does this decision affect Winkle's future?
This section contains 674 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)