|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Tony want to send Pickwick?
2. Who sends Mary a Valentine card?
3. What does Winkle ask to do before leaving Bristol?
4. What is Mr. Slurk's occupation?
5. What does Ben Allen do on top of the carriage?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pickwick hesitate in allowing Winkle to go and see Arabella in Bristol?
2. What does Smangle do on Pickwick's first night in prison?
3. How is the weekly menu used against Pickwick in the trial?
4. What does Snodgrass do to make Mr. Wardle happy with him after his suspicious behavior?
5. How is Pickwick released from prison?
6. What happens at Bob Sawyer's party?
7. How does Mrs. Raddle treat her husband?
8. What does Sam Weller do when he first meets Smangle?
9. What does Sam say to Pickwick before he is put in prison, and what is Pickwick's response to this?
10. What does Pickwick do when he is awakened on his first night in prison?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Rachael is a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all
Essay Topic 2
Individuality and self expression are two things that are very important to some of the major characters in this book. What are some examples of this, and how do these instances alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Ben Allen and Bob Sawyer are similar characters in this book, and yet there are some marked differences even though they are twins. What are some of the differences and similarities in these two dynamic characters?
This section contains 677 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)