|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Ben Allen start beating up a servant when he hears of Arabella's elopement?
2. What is Mr. Slurk's occupation?
3. What is Sergeant Snubbin's occupation?
4. How much is Mr. Pickwick fined after the trial?
5. Where is Mr. Pickwick's trial held?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at the temperance meeting that Tony takes Sam to?
2. What does Smangle do on Pickwick's first night in prison?
3. How does Mr. Perker suggest handling the dispute between Mr. Winkle and his father?
4. What does Sam say to Tony about Susan while they are in a courtroom, and what is Tony's response to this?
5. What happens at Bob Sawyer's party?
6. What does Sam Weller do when he first meets Smangle?
7. How does Pickwick spend his time while in prison?
8. Why is Mrs. Bardell sent back to London while on her trip?
9. What does Snodgrass do to make Mr. Wardle happy with him after his suspicious behavior?
10. Why does Pickwick hesitate in allowing Winkle to go and see Arabella in Bristol?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
This book is a satire. What kind of things is Dickens being satirical about, and how does this tone affect the feeling and progression of the plot?
Essay Topic 2
Rachael is a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all
Essay Topic 3
What is Mr. Pickwick accused of in his trial, and what evidence is used against him? How does this change the course of the plot?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)