|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was Mrs. Bardell doing when she was taken back to London?
2. What kind of meeting does Tony take his son to?
3. Why does Bob Sawyer's landlady harass him?
4. Where do the Pickwickians go before Pickwick has to go to jail?
5. Where does Winkle Sr. live?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens at Bob Sawyer's party?
2. What does Sam say to Tony about Susan while they are in a courtroom, and what is Tony's response to this?
3. What does Sam Weller do when he first meets Smangle?
4. Why does Mr. Wardle say he has come to London?
5. What does Mr. Perker say about Pickwick's case, and what is Pickwick's response to this?
6. How is the weekly menu used against Pickwick in the trial?
7. What does Sam do on Valentine's Day, and why?
8. Why does Winkle want Pickwick to get out of prison early?
9. What does Mr. Pickwick choose to do after he is found guilty, and why?
10. What does Sam say when he is called to the witness stand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pickwick's relative wealth has a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What are these moments, and how does their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How do the different main characters respond to his relative wealth and his generosity?
Essay Topic 2
How does Sam show his intense loyalty to his father and his employer?
Essay Topic 3
What happens to Mr. Winkle's parents, and what significance does this have on the plot? Who is involved in these scenes, and what do these events symbolize?
This section contains 651 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)