|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does Sam feel such a desire to stay in prison with Pickwick?
2. Why does Pickwick stay in Towcester?
3. What does Pickwick give Smangle money for in prison?
4. What does Sam bring to Pickwick after his first night in prison?
5. Who did Mrs. Bardell say instigated her trial against Pickwick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Pickwick do when he is awakened on his first night in prison?
2. How does Mrs. Raddle treat her husband?
3. Why does Pickwick hesitate in allowing Winkle to go and see Arabella in Bristol?
4. Why is Mrs. Bardell sent back to London while on her trip?
5. What happens to Mr. Pickwick because of the prank played at the inn in Towcester?
6. Why does Mr. Wardle say he has come to London?
7. What does Snodgrass do to make Mr. Wardle happy with him after his suspicious behavior?
8. What does Sam Weller do when he first meets Smangle?
9. What does Tom Roker do for Pickwick in prison?
10. What happens at Bob Sawyer's party?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Courage and fear are two attributes that are seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who are involved in those scenes?
Essay Topic 2
There are many different symbols present in this book. What are these symbols, and how does their presence alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Rachael is a minor character whose presence made a big difference in the plot. How does she accomplish this? What are some ways that her presence, however brief, alters the plot? What would have happened differently if she had not been in the book at all
This section contains 681 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)