|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does Winkle run into Bob Sawyer?
2. How much is Arabella's dowry?
3. What is the name of the Judge over Pickwick's trial?
4. What does Tony do to the man who starts a fight at the meeting he took Sam to?
5. Why does Sam feel such a desire to stay in prison with Pickwick?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smangle do on Pickwick's first night in prison?
2. What does Pickwick do for Jingle and Trotter after they are released from prison?
3. Why does Mr. Wardle say he has come to London?
4. What does Sam Weller do when he first meets Smangle?
5. Why is Mrs. Bardell sent back to London while on her trip?
6. What did Mr. Winkle Sr. say when he heard of his son's elopement?
7. What does Snodgrass do to make Mr. Wardle happy with him after his suspicious behavior?
8. What prank does Bob Sawyer play at the inn in Towcester?
9. What does Pickwick do when he is awakened on his first night in prison?
10. How is the weekly menu used against Pickwick in the trial?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pickwick's relative wealth has a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What are these moments, and how does their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How do the different main characters respond to his relative wealth and his generosity?
Essay Topic 2
The characters in this book have their own goals and motivations. Select four characters and write their main motivation throughout the book and how this goal affected the characters around them.
Essay Topic 3
Mrs. Bardell displays a very controlling nature in this book. How does her need for control affect the people around her, and why is this controlling nature so significant for the time setting of this book?
This section contains 707 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)