|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the main problem Ben sees in his plan to get Arabella to marry Bob?
2. Who tells Arabella that Winkle loves her?
3. What is the main reason Ben wants Bob to marry his sister?
4. Who tells Sam that Susan has died?
5. Who of the following is NOT subpoenaed for Pickwick's trial?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Tom Roker do for Pickwick in prison?
2. Why does Winkle run off to Bristol?
3. What happens at the temperance meeting that Tony takes Sam to?
4. What does Pickwick do when he is awakened on his first night in prison?
5. What does Mr. Perker say about Pickwick's case, and what is Pickwick's response to this?
6. What does Sam do on Valentine's Day, and why?
7. What does Sam say when he is called to the witness stand?
8. How is Pickwick released from prison?
9. What happens to Mr. Pickwick because of the prank played at the inn in Towcester?
10. What did Mr. Winkle Sr. say when he heard of his son's elopement?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pickwick's relative wealth has a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What are these moments, and how does their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How do the different main characters respond to his relative wealth and his generosity?
Essay Topic 2
What are some of the ways Winkle and Arabella show their love to each other, and how do these displays alter the course of the plot?
Essay Topic 3
Anger is an emotion that emerges in a few very sensitive places in the plot. What are some of these instances, and how are the plot and the characters involved in those scenes affected by this anger?
This section contains 714 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)