|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is Bob Sawyer studying?
2. When does Isabella Wardle get married?
3. What gains Tupman a reputation as a marksman?
4. What does Sam think Pickwick has been doing when he sees Pickwick in the hall of the inn?
5. How does Pickwick hope to better mankind?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Smangle do on Pickwick's first night in prison?
2. Where do Bob Sawyer and Ben Allen go at the end of the book?
3. What does Sam say to Tony about Susan while they are in a courtroom, and what is Tony's response to this?
4. How does Pickwick get locked in a boarding school?
5. What does Mr. Pickwick do when Alfred leaves after being bought off?
6. What does Sam do on Valentine's Day, and why?
7. How is Pickwick released from prison?
8. Where does Pickwick meet Sam's father, and what do they learn from this encounter?
9. What does Mr. Pickwick choose to do after he is found guilty, and why?
10. What do Peter and his friends talk about when Pickwick finds them in a tavern?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Pickwick's relative wealth has a huge impact on the plot and characters in this book. What are these moments, and how does their inclusion in the text affect the course of the plot? How do the different main characters respond to his relative wealth and his generosity?
Essay Topic 2
Power and Greed are two common themes in this book. Where do they appear, and how do they differ in their manifestations?
Essay Topic 3
Courage and fear are two attributes that are seen a number of times in this book. Where do they appear, and how does the presence of these feelings change the characters who are involved in those scenes?
This section contains 1,230 words
(approx. 5 pages at 300 words per page)