Chapter 1, By Way of an Introduction and Chapter 2, Prince Harry, Marriage Proposal
* The first chapter of the first part introduces us to Mrs. Stavrogin, Stepan Verkhovensky, Shatov and other local characters and their temperaments.
* The second chapter of the first part introduces us to Nicholas Stavrogin and his temperament.
* Nicholas was a bully in the military but he is admired for his charisma.
Part I, Chapter 3, Another Man's Sins and Chapter 4, The Cripple
* Mrs. Stavrogin asks Stepan to marry Dasha, but Stepan is concerned about Dasha's morals--she may have been seduced by Nicholas in Geneva.
* Stepan fears that Mrs. Stavrogin is only trying to cover for her son by asking Stepan to marry Dasha.
* Part I, Chapter 4 introduces us to Lisa Tushin and Captain Lebyatkin and his sister Mary.
Part I, Chapter 5, The Wise Serpent
* Mrs. Stavrogin confronts Shatov about Lebyatkin, and a number of people get involved...
This section contains 762 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)