|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the girl in "The Last Tea" think about girls who drink alcohol.
2. What does Hazel do with Mrs. Martin?
3. What important lesson has "The Little Old Lady in Lavender Silk" learned from life?
4. What has become a "bitterness" for the narrator if "Iseult of Brittany"?
5. What does Mona say is wrong with her?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the resolution of "Big Blonde" illustrate that Hazel's troubles are recurrent cycle?
2. Explain the irony in "Ninon de Lenclos, On Her Last Birthday."
3. Compare the poems "Ultimatum" and "Requiescat." How are they similar?
4. Explain the allusions in the poem "Guinevere At Her Fireside."
5. What explains Miss Wilmarth's "curious expression" in the short story "Horsie"?
6. Compare the poems "Star Light, Star Bright--" and "Purposely Ungrammatical Love Song." How are they similar?
7. In the short story "The Last Tea," why does the girl brag about the evening that she had the night before?
8. In "Glory in the Daytime," how does Mrs. Murdock's visit with Lily Wynton change her perspective on her own life?
9. What is the complaint that is raised in the poem "Penelope"?
10. What kind of advice do the poems "Prologue to a Saga" and "The Lady's Reward" give to women?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dorothy Parker's poetic style. How does she use rhyme, rhythm, and sound? How does she use suspense and irony? How would you describe the tone and mood of her poetry? What are some common themes that she deals with? Be sure to use specific examples, especially quotations, to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Describe Dorothy Parker's writing style in her essays. How does this style compare to her short stories and poetry? How do her tone and word choice compare? What types of imagery does she use? How does her writing style influence the effectiveness of her essays? Be sure to include specific examples and quotations to support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Choose two characters from different short stories that seem to share similar traits and analyze their similarities and differences. How do these similarities influence their respective stories? What do these character's reveal about the author's attitude toward her topic? Be sure to include specific examples and quotations in order to support your observations.
This section contains 1,768 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)