|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the story "You Were Perfectly Fine," what time did the pale young man get up out of bed?
2. According to Mrs. Whittaker, why has the Old Gentleman left all of his money to her?
3. In "The Standard of Living," what are Annabel's and Midge's occupations?
4. What color dress does Mimi buy for her husband's leave?
5. In the poem "Unfortunate Coincidence," what does the narrator have to say about love?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the short story, "The Wonderful Old Gentleman," what influence has the Old Gentleman had on the Bains' lives in the five years that he has lived with them?
2. What message is sent by the poem "Now At Liberty"?
3. Why is Mimi upset after her husband's phone call in the beginning of "The Lovely Leave"?
4. In the story "Dusk Before Fireworks," why does Kit try to pretend that she is not bothered by the attention that other women pay to Hobie?
5. What trouble does the man in "You Were Perfectly Fine" create when he lies about remembering the taxi ride?
6. What do the poems "Interview" and "Neither Bloody Nor Bowed" have in common?
7. What do the poems "I Know I Have Been Happiest" and "I Shall Come Back" have in common?
8. What is the cause of the underlying tension between the young bride and the groom in "Here We Are"?
9. Why does the young bride in the short story "Here We Are" worry about the fact that so many people get married every day?
10. Why is Mimi upset by her husband's compliment about her black dress in "The Lovely Leave"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe Dorothy Parker's poetic style. How does she use rhyme, rhythm, and sound? How does she use suspense and irony? How would you describe the tone and mood of her poetry? What are some common themes that she deals with? Be sure to use specific examples, especially quotations, to support your description.
Essay Topic 2
Analyze the theme of lost love in Dorothy Parker's poetry. How consistent or common is this theme? What do the poems reveal about Parker's attitude toward love, in particular lost love? Be sure to include specific examples and quotations to support your observations.
Essay Topic 3
Dorothy Parker often portrays the relationship between men and women as adversarial. Support this observation by providing and analyzing evidence from both her short stories and her poetry. Be sure to use specific examples and quotations when appropriate.
This section contains 1,633 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)