|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How old is Mr. Durant?
2. For what are the Bains and Mrs. Whittaker waiting?
(a) The Old Gentleman's doctor.
(b) The Old Gentleman's death.
(c) Their brother, Matt, to arrive.
(d) The Old Gentleman's return.
3. According to the young woman in "You Were Perfectly Fine," what was the most important thing that ever happened to her and the young man?
(a) The challenge of dealing with his offensive and drunken actions.
(b) The dinner party that they had been invited to the evening before.
(c) The taxi ride that they had taken around the park the evening before.
(d) The conversation that they are having about his drunken behavior.
4. What does Hobie do after Kit leaves?
(a) He sinks into the sofa and cries.
(b) He calls down to her from his window to apologize.
(c) He turns out all of his lights and pretends that he is not at home.
(d) He calls up another girl and arranges a date.
5. In the poem "Epitaph," how many times does the narrator die?
Short Answer Questions
1. Where do Annabel and Midge walk on their free afternoons?
2. In "A Telephone Call," what name the man on the phone uses what name to address the women?
3. For what trait is Mrs. Martindale known?
4. Who invented the rules for the game that Annabel and Midge play?
5. What message does the poem "Men" convey?
Short Essay Questions
1. How might Mrs. Martindale solve Mrs. Wyman's problem and her own at the same time?
2. In "The Standard of Living," why does Midge become so upset over Annabel's imaginary purchase of a silver fox coat, and what does her reaction suggest about her personality?
3. In the short story "A Telephone Call," how does the narrator rationalize her irrational behavior?
4. How does the woman in "Arrangement in Black and White" characterize her husband?
5. Why does the young bride in the short story "Here We Are" worry about the fact that so many people get married every day?
6. What does Mr. Durant's reaction to Rose's situation and her departure reveal about him?
7. In the story "Dusk Before Fireworks," why does Kit try to pretend that she is not bothered by the attention that other women pay to Hobie?
8. In "The Standard of Living," how are Midge and Annabel affected by the news of the actual price of the necklace in the shop window?
9. In the short story, "The Wonderful Old Gentleman," what influence has the Old Gentleman had on the Bains' lives in the five years that he has lived with them?
10. What message about love is conveyed by the poem "A Very Short Song"?
This section contains 1,574 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)