|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "The Veteran," how has age changed the narrator's perspective?
(a) He believes that the younger generation must defend the old ways.
(b) He once fought for justice; now justice is ambiguous and fighting is futile.
(c) He used to live from day to day, but now he plans for the future.
(d) He used to take many lovers and then leave them behind; now he is lonely.
2. How does Mr. Durant plan to get rid of the stray dog?
(a) He will drive it far away and drop it off in the middle of nowhere.
(b) After the children go to sleep, he is going to take it to the animal shelter.
(c) He will sneak it away to a man who will "dispose" of it for him.
(d) He is going to put it outside after the kids go to sleep and tell them it ran away.
3. About how long has the couple in the train car been married?
(a) About twelve hours.
(b) About three days.
(c) About three hours.
(d) About twelve days.
4. How old is Rose?
5. What advice does the poem "Resume" give?
(a) Live life the way that the narrator has and be happy.
(b) Suicide is too painful and too much trouble, so choose to live instead.
(c) Men and women are too different to remain loyal.
(d) Never allow a love to destroy you.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Mrs. Whittaker, why has the Old Gentleman left all of his money to her?
2. What surprises the woman at the dinner party about Katherine Burke in the story "Arrangement in Black and White"?
3. How long have Mr. and Mrs. Bain lived in their home?
4. In the story "The Sexes," why is the girl upset with the young man?
5. How old is Mr. Durant?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ironic about Mrs. Martindale's volunteer efforts in the short story, "Song of the Shirt, 1941"?
2. Compare and contrast the poems "The Trifler" and "Braggart."
3. In "Arrangement in Black and White," what do the woman's behavior and comments at the dinner party reveal about her?
4. How might Mrs. Martindale solve Mrs. Wyman's problem and her own at the same time?
5. What do the poems "I Know I Have Been Happiest" and "I Shall Come Back" have in common?
6. Why is Mimi upset after her husband's phone call in the beginning of "The Lovely Leave"?
7. What do the poems "Interview" and "Neither Bloody Nor Bowed" have in common?
8. Why is Mimi upset by her husband's compliment about her black dress in "The Lovely Leave"?
9. What does Mr. Durant's response to the dog reveal about him?
10. What is the irony in the end of the short story "The Waltz"?
This section contains 1,625 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)