|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. For what trait is Mrs. Martindale known?
(a) Her broad smile.
(b) Her strong will.
(c) Her big heart.
(d) Her beautiful hair.
2. Who helps Rose arrange her abortion?
(a) Mr. Durant.
(b) Her roommate, Ruby.
(c) Her sister, who lives in another town.
(d) Rose's boss.
3. How long is Mimi's husband supposed to have for leave in the story "The Lovely Leave"?
(a) One week.
(b) Forty-eight hours.
(c) Twenty-four hours.
(d) A whole weekend.
4. In the story "Mr. Durant," how long has it been since Mr. Durant first met Rose?
(a) About three weeks before the story begins.
(b) About three months before the story begins.
(c) About six months before the story begins.
(d) About two years before the story begins.
5. What "gift" does the narrator of "I Know I Have Been Happiest" offer to her former lover?
(a) Her death.
(b) Her fidelity.
(c) Her verse.
(d) Her absence.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Unfortunate Coincidence," what does the narrator have to say about love?
2. What is Mimi's husband most looking forward to during his short visit with her?
3. In "The White Lady," why does the narrator claim to hate the dead?
4. How long have Mr. and Mrs. Bain lived in their home?
5. What is the girl examining at the beginning of the story "The Sexes"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the cause of the underlying tension between the young bride and the groom in "Here We Are"?
2. What message about love is conveyed by the poem "A Very Short Song"?
3. What does Mr. Durant's reaction to Rose's situation and her departure reveal about him?
4. What is the irony in the end of the short story "The Waltz"?
5. Compare the poems "Social Note" and "For An Unknown Lady."
6. What trouble does the man in "You Were Perfectly Fine" create when he lies about remembering the taxi ride?
7. Describe the role of Mrs. Whittaker in the story "The Wonderful Old Gentleman."
8. In the short story "A Telephone Call," how does the narrator rationalize her irrational behavior?
9. Why is the girl in "The Sexes" rude to the young man?
10. Why does the woman in "The Waltz" agree to dance with the young man even though she does not want to?
This section contains 1,649 words
(approx. 6 pages at 300 words per page)