|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapter 9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In the poem "Braggart," why does the narrator claim to be better off than her reader?
(a) She knows how to make a man love her even if he is taken.
(b) She will die young and remain beautiful and young while others will grow old.
(c) She has learned to be happy without a lover.
(d) She has lived a full life and loves herself more than any man.
2. How does Mrs. Bain react to the news of her father's death?
(a) She stands up and announces that it really was the best thing.
(b) She sighs and lays her head on her husband's chest.
(c) She dries her eyes and asks to see him.
(d) She immediately begins to weep passionately.
3. Who is Mrs. Corning?
(a) The young girl whose sewing mistake was ridiculed in public.
(b) Mrs. Martindale's neighbor who is looking for help for a friend.
(c) The only other faithful volunteer besides Mrs. Martindale.
(d) The manager at headquarters who oversees the sewing work.
4. At the end of the story "Arrangement in Black and White," what detail of the dinner party is the woman eager to share with her husband?
(a) That she got to meet the singer Walter Williams.
(b) That the party host was rude to her.
(c) That she called Walter Williams "Mister."
(d) That she got to meet Katherine Burke.
5. Who invented the rules for the game that Annabel and Midge play?
(a) Annabel's older sister.
(b) Midge's mother.
Short Answer Questions
1. In the poem "Hearthside," what does the narrator dream of?
2. In "The Standard of Living," what is the cost of the necklace in the window?
3. How does Mrs. Whittaker react to the news of her father's death?
4. Which of the following best describes the way that the young man in "The Waltz" dances?
5. Who decided that the Old Gentleman should come to live with the Bains?
This section contains 409 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)