|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where did Frank O'Hara grow up?
2. Where does Highway Ninety-Nine begin?
3. Which of the founders of Russian anarchism is referred to in the poem "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
4. Where was Lew Welch born?
5. What is railed against in the poem "A Dim View of Berkeley in the Spring"?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Amiri Baraka? What contributions of his are in the anthology?
2. What symbolism is evident in the works of Bob Dylan? What do these symbols represent?
3. Who is Brenda Frazer? What is "Poem to Lee Forest" about?
4. Who is Philip Whalen? How does Whalen's poem about Sourdough Mountain differ from Snyder's?
5. Who is Gary Snyder? What settings appear in his work?
6. What similes does Bremser use in the poem "Funny Lotus Blues..."? Why?
7. Who is Ray Bremser? What is the subject of "Funny Lotus Blues..."?
8. Describe the irony of Peter Orlovsky's "Lepers Cry."
9. What is the subject of "Hymna to Archilochus"?
10. What is "Nova Express" about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author Kenneth Rexroth. For what works was Rexroth known? What examples are in the anthology? What is the poet's impact on the Beat Generation?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the novel On the Road and its importance to the Beat Generation's philosophies and ideologies. What are the fictionalized names about and "who is who"?
Essay Topic 3
What is the New York School of Poetry? When did it originate? Who were the key members? How does it relate to the Beat Generation?
This section contains 825 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)