|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What scene does "Nova Express" describe?
2. Peter Orlovsky was whose lover?
3. Who developed the "cut-up" method of writing used by William S. Burroughs?
4. Whom does Philip Whalen write of drinking with in "Prose Take-Out Portland 13:ix:58"?
5. "1001 Ways to Beat the Draft" was originally a _____________.
Short Essay Questions
1. What literary or mythical references are made in "The Night Is a Space of White Marble"?
2. How did the term "Beat" evolve into the late 50s and early 60s?
3. Who is Frank O'Hara? Is he part of the Beat movement? What works of his are in the anthology?
4. Who is Bob Dylan? What contributions of his are in the anthology?
5. What is the subject of "Hymna to Archilochus"?
6. What political allusions does Diane DiPrima make in "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
7. Who is Brenda Frazer? What is "Poem to Lee Forest" about?
8. Who is Philip Whalen? How does Whalen's poem about Sourdough Mountain differ from Snyder's?
9. Describe the author and subject of "Poet of the Streets."
10. Who is Gary Snyder? What settings appear in his work?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author Kenneth Rexroth. For what works was Rexroth known? What examples are in the anthology? What is the poet's impact on the Beat Generation?
Essay Topic 2
Compare the poems of Herbert Huncke in the text to the works of Allen Ginsberg. How do the writers differ in style? What themes and subjects are common?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the novel On the Road and its importance to the Beat Generation's philosophies and ideologies. What are the fictionalized names about and "who is who"?
This section contains 835 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)