|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. At which college did John Wieners study poetry?
2. Who is the author of the poem "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
3. Where was Bob Kaufman born?
4. Whom did Charles Bukowski write an article about meeting shortly before his death in "Tales of Beatnik Glory"?
5. In the poem "Les Luths," Frank O'Hara writes of wondering what _______________ is doing.
Short Essay Questions
1. What works of John Wieners are included in the anthology? Where is he from?
2. Who is Amiri Baraka? What contributions of his are in the anthology?
3. What did Ed Sanders experience after reading "Howl"?
4. Who is Philip Whalen? How does Whalen's poem about Sourdough Mountain differ from Snyder's?
5. Who is Gary Snyder? What settings appear in his work?
6. What does Bukowski insinuate about Neal Cassady in "Notes of a Dirty Old Man"?
7. What literary or mythical references are made in "The Night Is a Space of White Marble"?
8. Who is Philip Lamantia and what works of his are in the anthology?
9. What is "Highway Ninety-Nine"?
10. What artistic and literary allusions are in "The Canticle of Jack Kerouac"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the author Kenneth Rexroth. For what works was Rexroth known? What examples are in the anthology? What is the poet's impact on the Beat Generation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the singer/songwriter Bob Dylan and his works in the anthology. What influences of the Beat Generation can be seen in Dylan's writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the impact that the members of the Beat Generation had on those around them, as expressed in "Tales of Beatnik Glory." What were their families like?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)