|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Philip Lamantia born?
2. Who is the author of the poem "Columbia U Poesy Reading--1975"?
3. Where was Ann Waldron born?
4. Which poem of Diane DiPrima's is an attack on Gary Snyder's conception of women as mere carriers of children?
5. Which poem of Peter Orlovsky's is included in the anthology?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Gary Snyder? What settings appear in his work?
2. What is the subject of "Hymna to Archilochus"?
3. What is "Highway Ninety-Nine"?
4. What political allusions does Diane DiPrima make in "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
5. Who is Brenda Frazer? What is "Poem to Lee Forest" about?
6. What is the subject of "Kentucky Ham"?
7. What is "Nova Express" about?
8. What artistic and literary allusions are in "The Canticle of Jack Kerouac"?
9. Who is Frank O'Hara? Is he part of the Beat movement? What works of his are in the anthology?
10. How did the term "Beat" evolve into the late 50s and early 60s?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe the relationship between Neal Cassady and Jack Kerouac, as illustrated in their letters. How do the two men regard one another?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the poets Gary Snyder and Philip Whalen. Where did these poets meet? How did they become associated with the Beat Generation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the works of poet Diane DiPrima. What stylistic elements are notable in DiPrima's work? What are her common subjects and themes?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)