|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where is Amiri Baraka from?
2. Where was Lew Welch born?
3. Who wrote "Dinners and Nightmares"?
4. "The Night Is a Space of White Marble" carries a reference to which Greek god?
5. Where did Gary Snyder attend college?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Carolyn Cassady say of her marriage in "Off the Road"?
2. What similes does Bremser use in the poem "Funny Lotus Blues..."? Why?
3. Who is Philip Whalen? How does Whalen's poem about Sourdough Mountain differ from Snyder's?
4. What political allusions does Diane DiPrima make in "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
5. Who is Gary Snyder? What settings appear in his work?
6. What works of John Wieners are included in the anthology? Where is he from?
7. What is the subject of "Kentucky Ham"?
8. How did the term "Beat" evolve into the late 50s and early 60s?
9. What did Ed Sanders experience after reading "Howl"?
10. What is "Highway Ninety-Nine"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss and describe the world events which directly or indirectly instigated the Beat Generation. How do the members of the Beat Generation view mainstream society? Why?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the poets Gary Snyder and Philip Whalen. Where did these poets meet? How did they become associated with the Beat Generation?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the poet Michael McClure. What are his contributions to the Beat Generation? In what works has he been immortalized?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)