|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What Italian immigrants to America accused of anarchy are referred to in the poem "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
2. Which author wrote the poem "Smokey the Bear Sutra"?
3. Who developed the "cut-up" method of writing used by William S. Burroughs?
4. Who wrote "Sourdough Mountain Lookout"?
5. Where was Bob Kaufman born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What works of John Wieners are included in the anthology? Where is he from?
2. What artistic and literary allusions are in "The Canticle of Jack Kerouac"?
3. Who is Gary Snyder? What settings appear in his work?
4. Who is Ray Bremser? What is the subject of "Funny Lotus Blues..."?
5. Who is Philip Lamantia and what works of his are in the anthology?
6. What political allusions does Diane DiPrima make in "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
7. What did Ed Sanders experience after reading "Howl"?
8. What literary and political allusions are in "Sourdough Mountain Lookout"?
9. What literary or mythical references are made in "The Night Is a Space of White Marble"?
10. What does Carolyn Cassady say of her marriage in "Off the Road"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the New York School of Poetry? When did it originate? Who were the key members? How does it relate to the Beat Generation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the impact that the members of the Beat Generation had on those around them, as expressed in "Tales of Beatnik Glory." What were their families like?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the works of William S. Burroughs. What common subjects and themes does Burroughs revisit? When did Burroughs begin writing?
This section contains 820 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)