|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. When did the Six Gallery reading take place?
2. In what year does Jack Kerouac meet Neal Cassady?
3. Who is the character Japhy Ryder is based on in "The Dharma Bums"?
4. In what year did Gregory Corso meet Allen Ginsberg?
5. What was Allen Ginsberg's father's name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are some examples of religious allusion in "Howl"? What do they represent?
2. What political references are made in the poem "America"?
3. What is Ginsberg's subject in "A Supermarket in America"?
4. Describe the exposition from the beginning excerpt of "On the Road." Who are the characters introduced?
5. How do Cassady and Kerouac differ on their perspective of Cassady's childhood?
6. Who is Neal Cassady? How is he introduced in the text?
7. What repetition is used in the "Peyote Poem"? Why?
8. What are Herbert Huncke's contributions in the anthology? On what subjects does he focus?
9. Describe Huncke's depictions of sexuality in his work.
10. What does Ann Charters write about Carl Solomon in his biographical information? What is his work about?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the singer/songwriter Bob Dylan and his works in the anthology. What influences of the Beat Generation can be seen in Dylan's writing?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the works of William S. Burroughs. What common subjects and themes does Burroughs revisit? When did Burroughs begin writing?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss and describe the world events which directly or indirectly instigated the Beat Generation. How do the members of the Beat Generation view mainstream society? Why?
This section contains 797 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)