|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Dean trade for a a watch in Mexico in On the Road?
2. In what year did Gregory Corso meet Allen Ginsberg?
3. Where did Jack Kerouac attend college?
4. The character "Elsie John" in the poem by Herbert Huncke is a __________.
5. Where was Gregory Corso born?
Short Essay Questions
1. What political allusions are used in "One Thousand Fearful Words for Fidel Castro"?
2. Describe William S. Burroughs' excerpt from "Junky." What is significant about this subject?
3. What does Ann Charters write of the origination of the Beats in the Introduction?
4. Who is Kenneth Rexroth? What is his contribution in the anthology?
5. What biographical facts are mixed up in Kerouac's "On the Road"? What details are omitted?
6. Where does Jack Kerouac refer to his own style of writing in "On the Road"? What metaphor does the author make?
7. What do Cassady's letters to Kerouac reveal about him?
8. Describe the subject of "Visions of Cody."
9. What political references are made in the poem "America"?
10. Describe the poetry of Gregory Corso, including subject and themes.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the New York School of Poetry? When did it originate? Who were the key members? How does it relate to the Beat Generation?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the works of Allen Ginsberg. What is his most famous work? What stylistic devices does Ginsberg employ? Use examples in your answer.
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the works of William S. Burroughs. What common subjects and themes does Burroughs revisit? When did Burroughs begin writing?
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)