|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. "The Day Lady Died" is a description of everything O'Hara did the day who died?
(a) Gracie Jones.
(b) Queen Victoria.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Billie Holliday.
2. What newsletter was created by Diane DiPrima and LeRoi Jones?
(a) "Beat Reader."
(b) "Floating Bear."
(c) "Free Man."
3. Who is "Mr. Dullness" likely a reference to in the poem "A Dim View of Berkeley in the Spring"?
(a) Matthew Dulles.
(b) John Foster Dulles.
(c) Christopher Anderson Dull.
(d) Andrew Lloyd Webber.
4. Who wrote "Dinners and Nightmares"?
(a) Allen Ginsberg.
(b) Diane DiPrima.
(c) Carolyn Cassady.
(d) Jack Kerouac.
5. In what year does William Burroughs Junior go to visit his father in "Tales of Beatnik Glory"?
Short Answer Questions
1. When was Philip Lamantia born?
2. When was Ray Bremser born?
3. When was Diane DiPrima born?
4. When was Amiri Baraka born?
5. Who is the daughter of Jack Kerouac and wrote a book about her experiences?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the irony of Peter Orlovsky's "Lepers Cry."
2. What is the subject of "Hymna to Archilochus"?
3. Describe Tuli Kupferberg and his pieces in The Portable Beat Reader.
4. Who is Amiri Baraka? What contributions of his are in the anthology?
5. Who is Philip Whalen? How does Whalen's poem about Sourdough Mountain differ from Snyder's?
6. How did the term "Beat" evolve into the late 50s and early 60s?
7. What does Bukowski insinuate about Neal Cassady in "Notes of a Dirty Old Man"?
8. Describe the author and subject of "Poet of the Streets."
9. What literary and political allusions are in "Sourdough Mountain Lookout"?
10. What political allusions does Diane DiPrima make in "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
This section contains 804 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)