|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is "tea" in reference to in the poem "A Poem for the Tea Heads"?
2. Where was Tuli Kupferberg from?
(a) San Francisco.
(b) Los Angeles.
(d) New York City.
3. The poem "The Night Is a Space of White Marble" describes a wild experience in __________.
(a) New York.
4. "The Day Lady Died" is a description of everything O'Hara did the day who died?
(a) Gracie Jones.
(b) Billie Holliday.
(c) Queen Elizabeth.
(d) Queen Victoria.
5. What former wife of Neal Cassady wrote about her experiences with Cassady and other beats in "Off the Road"?
(a) Carolyn Cassady.
(b) Jennifer Cassady.
(c) Anne Cassady.
(d) Marie Cassady.
Short Answer Questions
1. Amiri Baraka studied at what university?
2. Who is the daughter of Jack Kerouac and wrote a book about her experiences?
3. What scene does "Nova Express" describe?
4. When was Amiri Baraka born?
5. Whom does Philip Whalen write of drinking with in "Prose Take-Out Portland 13:ix:58"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the subject of "Hymna to Archilochus"?
2. How did the term "Beat" evolve into the late 50s and early 60s?
3. Who is Bob Dylan? What contributions of his are in the anthology?
4. Describe the author and subject of "Poet of the Streets."
5. What is "Highway Ninety-Nine"?
6. Describe Tuli Kupferberg and his pieces in The Portable Beat Reader.
7. What is "Nova Express" about?
8. Who is Gary Snyder? What settings appear in his work?
9. What works of John Wieners are included in the anthology? Where is he from?
10. Who is Amiri Baraka? What contributions of his are in the anthology?
This section contains 826 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)