|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is railed against in the poem "A Dim View of Berkeley in the Spring"?
2. Which poem of Diane DiPrima's is an attack on Gary Snyder's conception of women as mere carriers of children?
(a) "Three Laments."
(b) "Song for Baby-O."
(c) "Brass Furnace Going Out: Song, after an Abortion."
(d) "The Practice of Magical Evocation."
3. Baraka's letter to "Evergreen Review" discusses whose rules for writing prose?
4. Peter Orlovsky was whose lover?
(a) Neal Cassady's.
(b) Carolyn Cassady's.
(c) Allen Ginsberg's.
(d) Diane DiPrima's.
5. What poem of Brenda Frazer's is included in the anthology?
(a) "Thirteen Nightmares."
(b) "Lament, Lament."
(c) "Unlisted Characters."
(d) "Poem to Lee Forest."
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of the poem "Columbia U Poesy Reading--1975"?
2. What is "tea" in reference to in the poem "A Poem for the Tea Heads"?
3. What newsletter was created by Diane DiPrima and LeRoi Jones?
4. Albion is another name for what?
5. What was Amiri Baraka's birth name?
Short Essay Questions
1. What artistic and literary allusions are in "The Canticle of Jack Kerouac"?
2. How did the term "Beat" evolve into the late 50s and early 60s?
3. What did Ed Sanders experience after reading "Howl"?
4. What does Carolyn Cassady say of her marriage in "Off the Road"?
5. Who is Philip Whalen? How does Whalen's poem about Sourdough Mountain differ from Snyder's?
6. Describe Tuli Kupferberg and his pieces in The Portable Beat Reader.
7. What political allusions does Diane DiPrima make in "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
8. What literary or mythical references are made in "The Night Is a Space of White Marble"?
9. What does Bukowski insinuate about Neal Cassady in "Notes of a Dirty Old Man"?
10. What is "Highway Ninety-Nine"?
This section contains 865 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)