|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Gary Snyder attend college?
(b) Reed College.
(c) Swarthmore College.
(d) Columbia University.
2. Which author wrote the poem "The Death of Kin Chuen Louie"?
(a) Allen Ginsberg
(b) Michael McClure.
(c) Gregory Corso.
(d) Lawrence Ferlinghetti.
3. Who wrote the poem "Nova Express"?
(a) Gregory Corso.
(b) Jack Kerouac.
(c) Allen Ginsberg.
(d) William S. Burroughs.
4. Which poem of Diane DiPrima's is an attack on Gary Snyder's conception of women as mere carriers of children?
(a) "Song for Baby-O."
(b) "Brass Furnace Going Out: Song, after an Abortion."
(c) "The Practice of Magical Evocation."
(d) "Three Laments."
5. "Poem from Jail" discusses the necessity of banning ____________.
(c) Nuclear weapons.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who is the author of "I Have Given Fair Warning"?
2. When did Amiri Baraka adopt his current name?
3. Who "poofed into fat air" in the poem "Columbia U Poesy Reading--1975"?
4. When did Lew Welch enlist in the Army Air Corp?
5. Whom does Philip Whalen write of drinking with in "Prose Take-Out Portland 13:ix:58"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What works of John Wieners are included in the anthology? Where is he from?
2. What does Bukowski insinuate about Neal Cassady in "Notes of a Dirty Old Man"?
3. Who is Ray Bremser? What is the subject of "Funny Lotus Blues..."?
4. What is the subject of "Kentucky Ham"?
5. What literary or mythical references are made in "The Night Is a Space of White Marble"?
6. Who is Brenda Frazer? What is "Poem to Lee Forest" about?
7. How did the term "Beat" evolve into the late 50s and early 60s?
8. Who is Philip Lamantia and what works of his are in the anthology?
9. What is the subject of "Hymna to Archilochus"?
10. What is "Highway Ninety-Nine"?
This section contains 848 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)