|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the name of the girl Kerouac describes meeting in "The Subterraneans"?
2. What is the dog looking at questioningly in the poem "Dog"?
(a) A flower.
(b) A gramophone.
(c) A telephone.
(d) A rabbit.
3. In what year did Gregory Corso meet Allen Ginsberg?
4. When was Philip Whalen born?
5. Whose death is "Thou Shalt Not Kill" written in mourning of?
(a) Walt Whitman.
(b) Jack Kerouac.
(c) Dylan Thomas.
(d) Karl Marx.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the title of the first book Jack Kerouac published?
2. What is the name of Michael McClure's fictionalized character in Big Sur?
3. William Everson credits Rexroth with launching Beat poetry more so than whom?
4. What was Allen Ginsberg's father's name?
5. What is the name of John Clellon Holmes' representation of himself in Go?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Ann Charters write of the origination of the Beats in the Introduction?
2. How do Cassady and Kerouac differ on their perspective of Cassady's childhood?
3. Describe Kerouac's depiction of the jazz band in the excerpt from "On the Road." To whom are they compared ?
4. What are Herbert Huncke's contributions in the anthology? On what subjects does he focus?
5. Who is Lawrence Ferlinghetti? What is his role in the Beat movement? What is his poem "Dog" about?
6. Who is Neal Cassady? How is he introduced in the text?
7. What repetition is used in the "Peyote Poem"? Why?
8. Describe the symbolism in "On the Road" as it relates to the theme of American values. What is an example of Kerouac's metaphor of America?
9. Describe William S. Burroughs' style in "Naked Lunch."
10. What does Kerouac's letter to Neal Cassady reveal about their friendship?
This section contains 836 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)