|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Where did Allen Ginsberg grow up?
(a) Princeton, NJ.
(b) Chicago, IL.
(c) Patterson, NJ.
(d) New York, NY.
2. "Song" by Allen Ginsberg is a simple poem about ____________.
3. What were the charges brought against the poem "Howl"?
4. Whom did Neal Cassady marry in 1948?
(a) Marie Smith.
(b) Joan Anderson.
(c) Carolyn Robinson.
(d) Sarah Pomeray.
5. What is the name of the girl Kerouac describes meeting in "The Subterraneans"?
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of the evil force that is everywhere in "Howl"?
2. William Everson credits Rexroth with launching Beat poetry more so than whom?
3. Neal Cassady's moniker in "Visions of Cody" was Cody ______________.
4. What is the name of the West Coast literary revolution which was heralded largely by the Six Gallery reading?
5. Who is Jack Kerouac known as in On the Road?
Short Essay Questions
1. Who is Lawrence Ferlinghetti? What is his role in the Beat movement? What is his poem "Dog" about?
2. Describe the poetry of Gregory Corso, including subject and themes.
3. In his letters to Kerouac, what is Cassady's description of how he lost his old girlfriend Joan in Denver?
4. Who is Micheal McClure? Describe his "Peyote Poem."
5. Describe the subject of "Visions of Cody."
6. What is Ginsberg's subject in "A Supermarket in America"?
7. What do Cassady's letters to Kerouac reveal about him?
8. Who is Kenneth Rexroth? What is his contribution in the anthology?
9. What political references are made in the poem "America"?
10. Describe William S. Burroughs' style in "Naked Lunch."
This section contains 829 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)