|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. In what year did Neal Cassady die?
2. Who is the author of the poem "A Berry Feast"?
(a) Michael McClure.
(b) Gary Snyder.
(c) Allen Ginsberg.
(d) Carlos Williams.
3. In "Visions of Cody," Cody is especially talented at ______________.
4. Herbert Huncke introduced William S. Burroughs to _____________.
5. Upon which Beat writer was The Dharma Bums based?
(a) Allen Ginsberg.
(b) Gary Snyder
(c) Neal Cassady.
(d) Michael McClure.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the name of John Clellon Holmes' representation of himself in Go?
2. How many children did Neal Cassady's mother have before meeting his father?
3. In what year does Jack Kerouac meet Neal Cassady?
4. What university did William S. Burroughs attend?
5. Where did Allen Ginsberg move in the 1950s?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kerouac's letter to Neal Cassady reveal about their friendship?
2. In his letters to Kerouac, what is Cassady's description of how he lost his old girlfriend Joan in Denver?
3. Describe Huncke's depictions of sexuality in his work.
4. What biographical facts are mixed up in Kerouac's "On the Road"? What details are omitted?
5. Where does Jack Kerouac refer to his own style of writing in "On the Road"? What metaphor does the author make?
6. Who is Lawrence Ferlinghetti? What is his role in the Beat movement? What is his poem "Dog" about?
7. Describe William S. Burroughs' style in "Naked Lunch."
8. What political references are made in the poem "America"?
9. Describe Kerouac's depiction of the jazz band in the excerpt from "On the Road." To whom are they compared ?
10. Describe the subject of "Visions of Cody."
This section contains 856 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)