|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the title of Neal Cassady's unfinished autobiography?
(a) "The Final Third."
(b) "The First Third."
(c) "The Fast Years."
(d) "The Kesey Bus."
2. "A Supermarket in America" describes Ginsberg grocery shopping with a vision of whom?
(a) Karl Marx.
(b) Walt Whitman.
(d) Norman Mailer.
3. Whom does Neal Cassady write about visiting in the hospital after a suicide attempt in his letters to Kerouac?
4. Where did Allen Ginsberg grow up?
(a) New York, NY.
(b) Princeton, NJ.
(c) Chicago, IL.
(d) Patterson, NJ.
5. For whom was Jack Kerouac once a sports writer?
(a) The Columbia Sun.
(b) The Herald Review.
(c) The Princeton Review.
(d) The Lowell Sun.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whose death is "Thou Shalt Not Kill" written in mourning of?
2. To whom does Allen Ginsberg write from a mental institution in "Howl"?
3. In what year does Jack Kerouac meet Neal Cassady?
4. What was Allen Ginsberg's father's name?
5. What is the first excerpted selection of Gregory Corso's in the text?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does Kerouac's letter to Neal Cassady reveal about their friendship?
2. In his letters to Kerouac, what is Cassady's description of how he lost his old girlfriend Joan in Denver?
3. What is Ginsberg's subject in "A Supermarket in America"?
4. Who is John Clellon Holmes, and what is his impact on the Beat Generation?
5. How do Cassady and Kerouac differ on their perspective of Cassady's childhood?
6. What are some examples of religious allusion in "Howl"? What do they represent?
7. Describe William S. Burroughs' style in "Naked Lunch."
8. What is the theme of the poem "Kaddish"?
9. Describe the subject of "Visions of Cody."
10. Who is Micheal McClure? Describe his "Peyote Poem."
This section contains 839 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)