|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which poem of Peter Orlovsky's is included in the anthology?
(a) "Lament Lament."
(c) "Lover Cry."
(d) "Lepers Cry."
2. In "Dinners and Nightmares," the author describes mashed potatoes and tomato sauce, which is referred to as _____________.
(a) "Menstrual potatoes."
(b) "Blood potatoes."
(c) "Scarlet potatoes."
(d) "Communist potatoes."
3. Which poem of Amiri Baraka's describes the black music scene in Newark in the early 1960s?
(a) "The Screamers."
(b) "In Memory of Radio."
(c) "Three Laments."
(d) "Way Out West."
4. Which poem of Diane DiPrima's is an attack on Gary Snyder's conception of women as mere carriers of children?
(a) "The Practice of Magical Evocation."
(b) "Song for Baby-O."
(c) "Three Laments."
(d) "Brass Furnace Going Out: Song, after an Abortion."
5. Who is the author of the poem "Columbia U Poesy Reading--1975"?
(a) Neal Cassady.
(b) Allen Ginsberg.
(c) Philip Whalen.
(d) Gregory Corso.
6. "The Night Is a Space of White Marble" carries a reference to which Greek god?
7. Who wrote the poem "Nova Express"?
(a) Allen Ginsberg.
(b) Gregory Corso.
(c) William S. Burroughs.
(d) Jack Kerouac.
8. What is "tea" in reference to in the poem "A Poem for the Tea Heads"?
9. What newsletter was created by Diane DiPrima and LeRoi Jones?
(a) "Free Man."
(b) "Beat Reader."
(d) "Floating Bear."
10. What was Amiri Baraka's birth name?
(a) Marcus Frances.
(b) LeRoi Jones.
(c) Leroy James.
(d) Allen Smith.
11. What former wife of Neal Cassady wrote about her experiences with Cassady and other beats in "Off the Road"?
(a) Marie Cassady.
(b) Carolyn Cassady.
(c) Anne Cassady.
(d) Jennifer Cassady.
12. In which song does Bob Dylan write about trying to get his piano fixed by a lazy, unionized piano tuner?
(b) "Lay Lady Lady."
(c) "Blowin' in the Wind."
(d) "Hard Rain."
13. What poem by Ray Bremser is included in the text?
(a) "The Lament."
(b) "Beat Tomorrow."
(c) "Funny Lotus Blues..."
(d) "Behind Beat Bars."
14. Where did Gary Snyder attend college?
(a) Columbia University.
(b) Swarthmore College.
(c) Reed College.
15. What Italian immigrants to America accused of anarchy are referred to in the poem "April Fool Birthday Poem for Grandpa"?
(a) Bacco and Minusi.
(b) Legari and Antoni.
(c) Ancini and Rossi.
(d) Sacco and Vanzetti.
Short Answer Questions
1. Whom does Philip Whalen write of drinking with in "Prose Take-Out Portland 13:ix:58"?
2. Where did Frank O'Hara grow up?
3. Who cuts off someone's fingers in the poem "Nova Express"?
4. Who wrote "Dinners and Nightmares"?
5. Who is a former girlfriend of Jack Kerouac and wrote a book called "Minor Characters" about some of the lesser known people in Beat circles?
This section contains 435 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)