|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to the message of "The Oven Bird," for what kind of things does the bird offer advice?
2. "The Runaway" is about a young horse who is not used to snow in _______________.
3. What is the first thing the wasp in "The White-Tailed Wasp" mistakes for a fly?
4. According to "Waspish," what does the wasp possess a lot of as it stretches?
5. In which line does "Hyla Brook" present its thesis?
Short Essay Questions
1. What idea about friendship does Frost share in "A Time to Talk"?
2. What line does Frost use to close the poem "Hyla Brook"?
3. What is the observation Frost closes with in "The Bear"?
4. What does the cow do in "A Cow in Apple Time" once she is on a sugar high?
5. In "The White-Tailed Hornet" what is Frost's reflection about humanity?
6. What is the main focus of "A Brook in the City"?
7. What does the character confess in the final line of "Bereft"?
8. What does the poem "Departmental" describe?
9. What is the perspective "Canis Major" is written from?
10. What is asked of the fireman in "Evening in a Sugar Orchard"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Frost use comparisons? Give at least one example from a poem of the following and explain its effectiveness and meaning: simile, metaphor, and analogy.
Essay Topic 2
What does Frost do to bring the ordinary thoughts of people to life in his poems? Cite examples from the poems to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
There are many instances of trees in Frost's poetry. Explain what the trees symbolize in the poems. How is the symbolism a reflection on the emotions of the poem? Cite at least five examples in your answer.
This section contains 532 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)