|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. In "The West-Running Brook" what represents the idea of paying tribute to your beginnings?
2. Who is the bear contemplating at the end of "The Bear"?
3. In "The Bear," Frost says that men are in constant conflict between their mind and _________.
4. In "Spring Pools" what do the puddles sit under?
5. What do the singing birds want to come out of the ground in "Our Singing Strength"?
Short Essay Questions
1. What happens to the town the character in "The Census-Taker" is responsible for?
2. What does the cow do in "A Cow in Apple Time" once she is on a sugar high?
3. What does the couple feel at the end of "Two Look at Two"?
4. What is the main focus of "A Brook in the City"?
5. What is the observation Frost closes with in "The Bear"?
6. What does Frost remind himself of in "The Onset"?
7. Why does the character in "Looking for a Sunset Bird in Winter" circle the tree?
8. What is Frost paying tribute to in "Sand Dunes"?
9. In "A Serious Step Lightly Taken" what has the property seen?
10. How does Frost describe the constellation in "Canis Major"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does Frost do to bring the ordinary thoughts of people to life in his poems? Cite examples from the poems to support your answer.
Essay Topic 2
How did Frost's jobs influence his poetry? Use examples from the book and poems to support your answer.
Essay Topic 3
How are Frost's poems analogies for the strength of America? Give at least three specific examples and explain their meaning.
This section contains 511 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)