|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which poetic form describes Frost's "Paul's Wife"?
2. In "The Tuft of Flowers," what animal does the man follow to the flowers?
3. Who is the narrator of "Mending Wall?"
4. Who is moving into the house in "The Investment?"
5. What is described in the opening of "The Wood Pile" ?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is "Brown's Descent" about?
2. What was the first sound Paul's wife made, according to "Paul's Wife"?
3. In "Snow," why does the husband suggest they forgive the pastor?
4. "The Tuft of Flowers" brings what aspects of the workaday to life?
5. Describe the newspaper collector in "A Hundred Collars."
6. How did Frost get his name?
7. What statement does "The Investment" make?
8. What do "Death of the Hired Man" and "The Housekeeper" have in common?
9. Why does Untermeyer believe that "Love and a Question" places Frost in the company of the world's classic poets?
10. How does Untermeyer describe Frost?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Frost use comparisons? Give at least one example from a poem of the following and explain its effectiveness and meaning: simile, metaphor, and analogy.
Essay Topic 2
Using examples from the poems to support your answer, explain what role Frost gives to husbands and wives and why he uses them in his poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Frost uses the seasons in his poems. Using specific examples, explain how Frost uses the seasons to express emotions.
This section contains 489 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)