|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. According to Bachelard, what term can describe the emergence of being through poetry and contemplation of poetic immensity?
2. According to Valery, how does a mollusk build?
3. Poets, states Bachelard, use words to bring together what two entities?
4. Who imagined a snail rolling over and over to form its shell internally?
5. According to Baltrusaitis, what can leap from a shell when reality is dismissed?
Short Essay Questions
1. As described by the author in "Miniature," how is any new phenomenon first viewed, when seen through a magnifying glass?
2. What does silence allow a person to do in the opinion of Bachelard?
3. For Milosz's cynical character, what is contained in the corners of the palace?
4. How are the hermit crab and cuckoo bird similar?
5. How does Paris manage to make the tiny stature of Tom Thumb seem believable?
6. According to Bachelard, why do old forests offer inner peace?
7. What is the nature of Palissy's fortess?
8. What does Bachelard propose, to give a door sacred character? What is sacred about doors?
9. How does Valery's knowledge of geometry fail him in regard to spiral shells?
10. Through poetry, in the mind of Bachelard, what does calm become?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main theme of "The Poetics of Space"? What main points are raised by Bachelard to support this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the ability to imagine a major power of human nature? How is an imagined poetic image different from the things surrounding us that can be seen?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss the concept of "invented childhood," as mentioned in "Corners." How does this relate to daydreaming and memories?
This section contains 561 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)