|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Details and insignificant features, such as the curve of a molding, may inspire what, according to Bachelard?
2. As explained by Bachelard, why do the terms inside and outside not represent symmetrical realities?
3. While a phenomenologist accepts a poetic image, what will a psychologist do in the opinion of Bachelard?
4. Who, according to Bachelard, sees everything as small from atop their towers of domination?
5. For Bachelard, what does the metaphor of old forests that go on without limit represent?
Short Essay Questions
1. In the mind of Bachelard, what is the dichotomy of the corner?
2. In what way might a poet surprise an intellectual philosopher according to Bachelard?
3. How does Valery's knowledge of geometry fail him in regard to spiral shells?
4. What does silence allow a person to do in the opinion of Bachelard?
5. For Milosz's cynical character, what is contained in the corners of the palace?
6. According to Bachelard, why do old forests offer inner peace?
7. With regard to metaphoric levels of existence, Bachelard theorizes that poets differ from philosophers in what way?
8. For Bachelard, what occurs when a person allows himself to pass a threshold of absurdity?
9. What is the nature of Palissy's fortess?
10. What does Bachelard propose, to give a door sacred character? What is sacred about doors?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
As expressed in "The Dialectics of Outside and Inside," how are outside space and inside space like a mixture of being and nothingness? How, according to Michaux, can claustrophobia and agoraphobia occur simultaneously even though they are opposites?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the significance of the struggle of Bosco's "La Redousse" against the menagerie of the hurricane. Why does Bachelin consider winter to be the oldest season reminding us of remote past? In "House and Universe," what does Bachelard state is the relationship between a house and the universe?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main theme of "The Poetics of Space"? What main points are raised by Bachelard to support this theme?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)