|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the best description of Diole?
2. As experienced by Bachelard, who sees only negative sublimation?
3. Which French scholar envisioned a fortress town based on the spiral design of shells?
4. How is Tom Thumb killed?
5. For Bachelard, what is the dichotomy of doors?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does Paris manage to make the tiny stature of Tom Thumb seem believable?
2. For Milosz's cynical character, what is contained in the corners of the palace?
3. Bachelard compares what images of nature put forward by Robinet and Michelet?
4. In folklore and poetry, according to Bachelard's theory, in what way does image size transpose?
5. For Bachelard, what occurs when a person allows himself to pass a threshold of absurdity?
6. How are the hermit crab and cuckoo bird similar?
7. What is the nature of Palissy's fortess?
8. In the mind of Bachelard, what is the dichotomy of the corner?
9. What effect does proximity to the horizon have on all things seen?
10. How does the age of a forest compare with the ages of fields and meadows according to Bachelard's theory put forth in "Intimate Immensity"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Bachelard cite so many writers and great thinkers to shore up his theories rather than create his own isolated narrative? Is his need to cite authors for "evidence" a remnant of his scientifically-oriented mode of thinking? Is his technique successful?
Essay Topic 2
As expressed in "The Dialectics of Outside and Inside," how are outside space and inside space like a mixture of being and nothingness? How, according to Michaux, can claustrophobia and agoraphobia occur simultaneously even though they are opposites?
Essay Topic 3
Discuss Bachelard's view of cellars and cellar fears as described in "The House, from Cellar to Garret, The Significance of the Hut." How does he use the works of Bosco and Poe to reinforce his view?
This section contains 641 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)