|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Bachelard, what is amusing about space images?
2. In the words of Bachelard, a mollusk that weighs fourteen pounds but with a shell that weighs five hundred or more pounds can be described in what way?
3. What is able to invent forms emerging from shells that are beyond scientific research according to Bachelard's theories based on the work of Baltrusaitis?
4. What is the term for the fear of open space?
5. Contrary to the intellectual philosopher, states Bachelard, a poet may use words in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Diole, an expert on under-sea life, write about the desert?
2. What two fears are contrasted by Michaux that may coexist even though they are opposites?
3. With regard to metaphoric levels of existence, Bachelard theorizes that poets differ from philosophers in what way?
4. In what way might a poet surprise an intellectual philosopher according to Bachelard?
5. Bachelard compares what images of nature put forward by Robinet and Michelet?
6. In the opinion of Bachelard, how do dreams of the shell affect the mind? What Baltrusaitis notion illustrates this effect?
7. What is the nature of Palissy's fortess?
8. How are the hermit crab and cuckoo bird similar?
9. What is Robinet's theory of ontogenesis?
10. As described by Bachelard, what is the forced-choice form of geometric reasoning associated with inside and outside that clouds metaphor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss Bachelard's view of cellars and cellar fears as described in "The House, from Cellar to Garret, The Significance of the Hut." How does he use the works of Bosco and Poe to reinforce his view?
Essay Topic 2
What is the ontology, or beingness, of a poetic image? Why does Bachelard choose to consider only the poetic image in the scope of "The Poetics of Space," even though he acknowledges that it is the least significant part of a poem?
Essay Topic 3
How does the inner immensity of man compare with the immensity of the forest according to Bachelard in "Intimate Immensity"? Why is this comparison a paradox?
This section contains 663 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)