|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why did Diole study and write about the desert?
2. Baudelaire used the term "vast" to describe what?
3. For Bachelard, what does the metaphor of old forests that go on without limit represent?
4. Who used a tree to evoke a sense of grandeur that magnifies to the tree's surroundings?
5. Bachelard cites Michaux's poem "Shade-Haunted Space" to illustrate what?
Short Essay Questions
1. As described by Bachelard, what is the forced-choice form of geometric reasoning associated with inside and outside that clouds metaphor?
2. In folklore and poetry, according to Bachelard's theory, in what way does image size transpose?
3. How are the hermit crab and cuckoo bird similar?
4. What two fears are contrasted by Michaux that may coexist even though they are opposites?
5. As described by the author in "Miniature," how is any new phenomenon first viewed, when seen through a magnifying glass?
6. How does the Hughes character, Emily, reveal the concept of "invented childhood"?
7. According to Bachelard, why do old forests offer inner peace?
8. How do a psychologist and a phenomenologist differ when viewing a poetic image in Bachelard's opinion?
9. Through poetry, in the mind of Bachelard, what does calm become?
10. How does Valery's knowledge of geometry fail him in regard to spiral shells?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why is the ability to imagine a major power of human nature? How is an imagined poetic image different from the things surrounding us that can be seen?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bachelard's view of cellars and cellar fears as described in "The House, from Cellar to Garret, The Significance of the Hut." How does he use the works of Bosco and Poe to reinforce his view?
Essay Topic 3
What is the main theme of "The Poetics of Space"? What main points are raised by Bachelard to support this theme?
This section contains 665 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)