|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Victor Hugo's literary character, Quasimodo, described what as "egg, nest, house, country and universe"?
2. The author believes that a well-drawn representation of a house inspires observers to do what?
3. How is a cathedral similar to a snail shell in the opinion of Bachelard?
4. Topo-analysis is useful for studying what?
5. Bachelard wrote of the menagerie of what?
Short Essay Questions
1. How are old homes and nests similar according to Bachelard?
2. What does Baudelaire note, with regard to houses and the weather?
3. What, according to Bachelard, is a dream house?
4. For Bachelard, how is a nest connected with the foliage of the forest?
5. Why does Bachelard focus on the isolated poetic image, even though it is the least significant element in the composition of a poem?
6. What is the significance of the wardrobe in relation to a house as described by the author in "Drawers, Chests and Wardrobes"?
7. What is "La Redousse?"
8. How does Bachelard describe oneiric houses?
9. To what did Vlaminck compare the contentment of humans in their homes?
10. What is the anthropo-cosmology of a house as described by Bachelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Why does Bachelard feel the need to dephilosophize and undo psychoanalysis in order to take a fresh approach to the process of imagination?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss Bachelard's view of cellars and cellar fears as described in "The House, from Cellar to Garret, The Significance of the Hut." How does he use the works of Bosco and Poe to reinforce his view?
Essay Topic 3
In "Corners," what do corners contain, according to Bachelard? How does Milosz's cynical character bolster Bachelard's notions?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)