|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bachelard's topoanalysis considers houses with at most how many levels?
2. Psychoanalysis of artwork is primarily an analysis of what?
3. As understood by Bachelard, a house features which two seemingly conflicting dimensions?
4. Bachelard wishes to distinguish between metaphor and what?
5. To what iconic Van Gogh image does the author compare a bird's nest on the ground?
Short Essay Questions
1. As explained by Bachelard, what is the beingness, or ontology, of the poetic image?
2. As theorized by Bachelard, what is the main benefit of a house, and what is the significance of the house one is born in?
3. How do poets, psychologists, and psychoanalysts differ in their views of locks and closed boxes in the opinion of Bachelard?
4. What is topoanalysis, according to Bachelard, with regard to a house and its hidden memories?
5. How are old homes and nests similar according to Bachelard?
6. What is "La Redousse?"
7. For Bachelard, how is a nest connected with the foliage of the forest?
8. To what did Vlaminck compare the contentment of humans in their homes?
9. What is a house for a phenomenologist?
10. What, according to Bachelard, is a dream house?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
In the view of a phenomenologist, how does an individual inhabit his vital space? What is the anthropo-cosmology of a space?
Essay Topic 2
As expressed in "The Dialectics of Outside and Inside," how are outside space and inside space like a mixture of being and nothingness? How, according to Michaux, can claustrophobia and agoraphobia occur simultaneously even though they are opposites?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Bachelard cite so many writers and great thinkers to shore up his theories rather than create his own isolated narrative? Is his need to cite authors for "evidence" a remnant of his scientifically-oriented mode of thinking? Is his technique successful?
This section contains 662 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)