|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A poetic image is independent of what according to Bachelard?
2. Bachelard's topoanalysis considers houses with at most how many levels?
3. Childhood is held motionless, states Bachelard, by dreaming of what?
4. Rilke wrote that storms seem more aggressive and hostile where?
5. How does Bachelard describe images that attribute human qualities to a nest?
Short Essay Questions
1. For Bachelard, how is a nest connected with the foliage of the forest?
2. What is the "objectivity" of a house as described by Bachelard?
3. What is the significance of the wardrobe in relation to a house as described by the author in "Drawers, Chests and Wardrobes"?
4. What is topophilia, according to Bachelard?
5. As explained by Bachelard, what is the beingness, or ontology, of the poetic image?
6. Why does Bachelard focus on the isolated poetic image, even though it is the least significant element in the composition of a poem?
7. What is the difference between image and metaphor, for Bachelard?
8. What is the concept of pure sublimation as put forth by Bachelard, and why is it useful?
9. What is the anthropo-cosmology of a house as described by Bachelard?
10. What is the symbolism associated with a hermit's hut, as described in "The House, from Cellar to Garret, The Significance of the Hut"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Discuss the significance of the struggle of Bosco's "La Redousse" against the menagerie of the hurricane. Why does Bachelin consider winter to be the oldest season reminding us of remote past? In "House and Universe," what does Bachelard state is the relationship between a house and the universe?
Essay Topic 2
As mentioned in "Introduction," discuss the distinct viewpoints of The Poet and The Phenomenologist (capitalized to indicate their stature as characters of type in "The Poetics of Space"), as contrasted with Bachelard's own former identity, the scientist?
Essay Topic 3
Why does Bachelard feel the need to dephilosophize and undo psychoanalysis in order to take a fresh approach to the process of imagination?
This section contains 660 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)