|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Childhood is held motionless, states Bachelard, by dreaming of what?
2. Bachelard wishes to distinguish between metaphor and what?
3. Which level of a house is protected with strong beams and rafters, and, states the author, has darkness that disappears in daylight?
4. Which statement does Bachelard determine is most indicative of attic fears?
5. For Bachelard, topophilia can be described in what way?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Bachelard disagree with Bergson's metaphorical use of the drawer?
2. How do poets, psychologists, and psychoanalysts differ in their views of locks and closed boxes in the opinion of Bachelard?
3. As explained by Bachelard, what is the beingness, or ontology, of the poetic image?
4. What is the anthropo-cosmology of a house as described by Bachelard?
5. How are old homes and nests similar according to Bachelard?
6. How do cellar fears differ from attic fears, based on Bachelard's theories in "The House, from Cellar to Garret, The Significance of the Hut"?
7. Why does Bachelard claim that daydreams of nests start us dreaming of security?
8. What is the concept of pure sublimation as put forth by Bachelard, and why is it useful?
9. What is topophilia, according to Bachelard?
10. What is the difference between image and metaphor, for Bachelard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the main theme of "The Poetics of Space"? What main points are raised by Bachelard to support this theme?
Essay Topic 2
Why is the ability to imagine a major power of human nature? How is an imagined poetic image different from the things surrounding us that can be seen?
Essay Topic 3
In the view of a phenomenologist, how does an individual inhabit his vital space? What is the anthropo-cosmology of a space?
This section contains 650 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)