|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to Bachelard, what term can describe the emergence of being through poetry and contemplation of poetic immensity?
(c) Psychic transformation.
2. Contrary to the intellectual philosopher, states Bachelard, a poet may use words in what way?
(a) For rhythm and rhyme, rather than meaning.
(b) To describe the origins of man.
(c) To create false illusions.
(d) For sensitivity rather than precision.
3. The cynical character created by the poet Milosz reminisces where?
(a) In his palace.
(b) In a boat.
(c) In a tree.
(d) In church.
4. Who, according to Bachelard, sees everything as small from atop their towers of domination?
(c) World leaders.
5. What does every corner or angle in a house symbolize for Bachelard?
(a) Solitude for the imagination.
(b) Impassable boundaries.
(c) Memories lost in cobwebs.
(d) Blocked thought.
Short Answer Questions
1. How is Tom Thumb killed?
2. What, in the opinion of Bachelard, moves the dreamer into the world of infinity?
3. What is unique about the nesting behavior of the cuckoo?
4. As explained by Bachelard, why do the terms inside and outside not represent symmetrical realities?
5. According to Baltrusaitis, what can leap from a shell when reality is dismissed?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do a psychologist and a phenomenologist differ when viewing a poetic image in Bachelard's opinion?
2. Through poetry, in the mind of Bachelard, what does calm become?
3. How does the Hughes character, Emily, reveal the concept of "invented childhood"?
4. Bachelard compares what images of nature put forward by Robinet and Michelet?
5. How are the hermit crab and cuckoo bird similar?
6. As described by Bachelard, what is the forced-choice form of geometric reasoning associated with inside and outside that clouds metaphor?
7. Why did Diole, an expert on under-sea life, write about the desert?
8. What effect does proximity to the horizon have on all things seen?
9. How does Valery's knowledge of geometry fail him in regard to spiral shells?
10. For Milosz's cynical character, what is contained in the corners of the palace?
This section contains 693 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)