|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Who lives in the new that guides the phenomenologist in Bachelard's opinion?
(a) The scientist.
(b) The psychologist.
(c) The poet.
(d) The psychoanalyst.
2. What enables a person to hear differently in the opinion of the author?
(a) Closing his eyes.
(b) Learning a foreign language.
(c) Learning the language of poetry.
(d) Studying metaphysics.
3. As theorized by the author, forests come from a past, but what forms of vegetation are in the present?
(a) Seedlings and sprouts.
(c) Fields and meadows.
(d) Individual trees.
4. In the opinion of Bachelard, a corner is a place of what sort of motion?
(b) Three-dimensional space.
(c) Vertical and horizontal.
5. Who imagined a bird turning round to form its nest externally with its breast?
Short Answer Questions
1. Details and insignificant features, such as the curve of a molding, may inspire what, according to Bachelard?
2. How does Tom Thumb's stature become believable?
3. Bachelard proposes that a person's time, speech, and very being are affected by what?
4. In the work of Milosz, how did he indicate that corners are not always safe?
5. Bachelard believes that what must flow within in order to appreciate the dream process?
Short Essay Questions
1. According to Bachelard, why do old forests offer inner peace?
2. In folklore and poetry, according to Bachelard's theory, in what way does image size transpose?
3. How do a psychologist and a phenomenologist differ when viewing a poetic image in Bachelard's opinion?
4. How does Paris manage to make the tiny stature of Tom Thumb seem believable?
5. What effect does proximity to the horizon have on all things seen?
6. In what way might a poet surprise an intellectual philosopher according to Bachelard?
7. For Bachelard, what occurs when a person allows himself to pass a threshold of absurdity?
8. Why did Diole, an expert on under-sea life, write about the desert?
9. What is Robinet's theory of ontogenesis?
10. In the mind of Bachelard, what is the dichotomy of the corner?
This section contains 613 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)