|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Valery's knowledge of geometry failed him in what regard?
(a) The ability to understand how the earth circumnavigates the sun.
(b) The ability to understand why a mollusk coils to the left or to the right.
(c) The ability to understand how a bird constructs a circular nest.
(d) The ability to understand the scope of nature.
2. In what way for Bachelard do fantasy images have some objectivity?
(a) From a sense of shared experience.
(b) From a belief in supernatural presences.
(c) From a sense of past lives.
(d) From a degree of shared phenomenological similarity.
3. According to Baltrusaitis, what can leap from a shell when reality is dismissed?
(b) A dog.
(c) A snail.
(d) A cat.
4. What does every corner or angle in a house symbolize for Bachelard?
(a) Blocked thought.
(b) Impassable boundaries.
(c) Memories lost in cobwebs.
(d) Solitude for the imagination.
5. What are two opposing truths introduced by Bachelard in "Corners" regarding corners?
(a) Corners can be real or imaginary.
(b) Corners can be solid or weak.
(c) Corners can be clean or neglected.
(d) One can be at peace in a corner or can be cornered there.
Short Answer Questions
1. Contrary to the intellectual philosopher, states Bachelard, a poet may use words in what way?
2. What image does Bachelard propose to give a door sacred character?
3. In folklore and poetry, as described by Bachelard, how is image size transposed?
4. What is the term for the fear of open space?
5. The cynical character created by the poet Milosz reminisces where?
Short Essay Questions
1. As described by Bachelard, what is the forced-choice form of geometric reasoning associated with inside and outside that clouds metaphor?
2. With regard to metaphoric levels of existence, Bachelard theorizes that poets differ from philosophers in what way?
3. How are the hermit crab and cuckoo bird similar?
4. According to Bachelard, why do old forests offer inner peace?
5. In folklore and poetry, according to Bachelard's theory, in what way does image size transpose?
6. What is Robinet's theory of ontogenesis?
7. Through poetry, in the mind of Bachelard, what does calm become?
8. What does silence allow a person to do in the opinion of Bachelard?
9. In the opinion of Bachelard, how do dreams of the shell affect the mind? What Baltrusaitis notion illustrates this effect?
10. What two fears are contrasted by Michaux that may coexist even though they are opposites?
This section contains 687 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)