|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Phenomenology of Roundness.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Victor Hugo's literary character, Quasimodo, described what as "egg, nest, house, country and universe"?
(a) Aachen Cathedral.
(b) Notre Dame Cathedral.
(c) Canterbury Cathedral.
(d) The Taj Mahal.
2. As explained by Bachelard, why do the terms inside and outside not represent symmetrical realities?
(a) Inside contains memories, while outside evokes the future.
(b) Inside is limited, while outside is vast and unlimited.
(c) Inside is controlled, while outside contains storms and dangers.
(d) Inside is manmade, while outside is natural.
3. The cooperative efforts of a blind shellfish and patron pea-crab exemplify what sort of behavior?
4. When should metaphor be used, in Bachelard's opinion?
(a) Rarely, only to add complexity to a poem.
(b) Frequently, to stimulate creativity.
(c) Frequently, to add color and variety to expression.
(d) Rarely, only when words are inadequate.
5. When a phenomenologist observes an extravagant daydream, what does the psychoanalyst see?
(b) Oneiric behavior.
(c) Sexually-obsessed behavior.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bachelard uses what to illustrate the reality of poetic imagery?
2. In folklore and poetry, as described by Bachelard, how is image size transposed?
3. How is a nest connected to the foliage of the forest according to the author?
4. For Bachelard, the well-being of a nest diminishes what?
5. Ammonite shells spiral around what sort of axis?
This section contains 288 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)