|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Intimate Immensity.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. How does Tom Thumb's stature become believable?
(a) When seen through a magnifying glass.
(b) Via personal experience.
(c) When described relative to a grain of dust.
(d) Via words in the pages of a book.
2. As explained in "The House, from Cellar to Garret . . .," what is the main benefit of a house?
(a) To shelter daydreaming.
(b) To create cities.
(c) To protect property.
(d) To define boundaries.
3. In folklore and poetry, as described by Bachelard, how is image size transposed?
(a) Image size has no meaning.
(b) Larger with the passage of time.
(c) Smaller with the loss of memories.
(d) Back and forth from large to small.
4. The philosopher Minkowski conducted an analysis of what?
(d) Poetic imagery.
5. What can be said of a closed box, in the opinion of Bachelard?
(a) It inspires the poetic spirit.
(b) It has more to see and experience than an open chest.
(c) It represents forgotten memories.
(d) It represents the human need for secrecy and confinement.
Short Answer Questions
1. Many houses are structured in levels, as described in "The House, from Cellar to Garret . . .,"appealing to what sense?
2. The cynical character created by the poet Milosz reminisces where?
3. What is unique about the nesting behavior of the cuckoo?
4. After fish swim into the shell of the shellfish, what does the pea-crab do?
5. Victor Hugo's literary character, Quasimodo, described what as "egg, nest, house, country and universe"?
This section contains 333 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)