|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Miniature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When is the value of a house as intimate shelter most evident, according to Bachelard?
(a) When a new family moves in.
(b) When it is immortalized by a poet.
(c) When it is assailed by elements of nature.
(d) When it is vacant.
2. How is a cathedral similar to a snail shell in the opinion of Bachelard?
(a) Both seem born of their surroundings.
(b) Quasimodo considered the cathedral to be claustrophobic, like a snail shell.
(c) Both are constructed of sturdy materials.
(d) Quasimodo inhabited the cathedral, with its nooks and crannies, as a snail inhabits its shell.
3. Which is the least significant element in the composition of a poem in Bachelard's opinion?
(a) Overall structure.
(b) The isolated poetic image.
4. According to Bachelard, which level of a house is always dark and shadowy, like the unconscious?
(a) The attic.
(b) The cellar.
(c) The sleeping level.
(d) Every level.
5. For Bachelard, breaking from the principles of scientific prudence is necessary in order to do what?
(a) Relax at home.
(b) Establish a metaphysics of the imagination.
(c) Study psychoanalysis.
(d) Understand causality.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bachelard wishes to distinguish between metaphor and what?
2. For the author, what does a casket metaphorically provide?
3. The works of Henri Bosco feature what areas, featuring connected passages with the possibility of escape?
4. How is Tom Thumb killed?
5. How do psychoanalysts refer to the duality of self?
This section contains 283 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)