|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Miniature.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. According to the author, the cuckoo can be compared with which water creature?
(a) The mollusk.
(b) The shellfish.
(c) The hermit crab.
(d) The pea-crab.
2. Details and insignificant features, such as the curve of a molding, may inspire what, according to Bachelard?
(a) Memories of houses past.
(c) The flow of rhyming words.
(d) New architectural designs.
3. A phenomenologist considers what regarding a house?
(a) Paranormal presences.
(b) The spiritual flow between rooms and levels.
(c) Drafty places which lead to pheumonia and other respiratory complaints.
(d) All the ways in which an individual inhabits his vital space.
4. Ultimately, as explained in "The House, from Cellar to Garret . . .," what can be used to communicate with other souls?
(a) Emerging from one's home to experience the world.
(b) Poetry or daydreaming.
5. Who imagined a snail rolling over and over to form its shell internally?
Short Answer Questions
1. What description does Bachelard give to Bergson's drawer metaphor?
2. Why does a conchologist classify shells?
3. When is the value of a house as intimate shelter most evident, according to Bachelard?
4. For the author, what does a casket metaphorically provide?
5. How does Bachelard describe images that attribute human qualities to a nest?
This section contains 270 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)