|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Nests.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What can be said of a closed box, in the opinion of Bachelard?
(a) It represents forgotten memories.
(b) It represents the human need for secrecy and confinement.
(c) It has more to see and experience than an open chest.
(d) It inspires the poetic spirit.
2. For Bachelard, breaking from the principles of scientific prudence is necessary in order to do what?
(a) Relax at home.
(b) Understand causality.
(c) Study psychoanalysis.
(d) Establish a metaphysics of the imagination.
3. What romantic notion does Bachelard dispute?
(a) The lover's nest.
(b) Poetic imagery.
(c) The refuge of the forest.
(d) The magic of rainbows.
4. What do poets create, according to Bachelard, to transcend conflicted night dreams?
(a) Poetic daydreams.
(b) New resolutions to nightmares.
(c) New memories.
(d) Poetic descriptions of the night.
5. What is a dream house for Bachelard?
(a) The largest house in the area.
(b) A home one dreams of owning or a home one purchases and alters.
(c) A house accessible only in dreams.
(d) A house that exists only in the poetic mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. For Bachelard, what do primal images of nests and shells offer to a person?
2. Psychoanalysis of artwork is primarily an analysis of what?
3. Bachelard, expanding on the work of Rilke, proposes that a box top, like the cover of a pot, may do what?
4. Poetry stimulates what sort of response in the reader in the opinion of Bachelard?
5. Which professional professes to understand and interpret images?
This section contains 296 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)