|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Nests.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. When should metaphor be used, in Bachelard's opinion?
(a) Rarely, only to add complexity to a poem.
(b) Frequently, to add color and variety to expression.
(c) Frequently, to stimulate creativity.
(d) Rarely, only when words are inadequate.
2. What is Bachelard's metaphor of the chrysalis?
(a) From the cottage chrysalis, the winged manor flies.
(b) From the childhood chrysalis, the butterfly moves to a new house.
(c) From the unnoticed chrysalis, the flamboyant butterfly flies.
(d) From the sturdy chrysalis, the delicate butterfly emerges.
3. What is a primal image symbolic of a man keeping vigil according to Bachelard?
(a) A childhood home.
(b) A man dreaming of poetic imagery.
(c) A hermit's hut.
(d) A vacant house.
4. Who, according to Bachelard, is able to enter the hidden space of the extreme?
(a) The psychoanalyst.
(b) The architect.
(c) The poet.
(d) The scientist.
5. For Bachelard, why is the inner space of a wardrobe an intimate space?
(a) Clothing is part of one's persona.
(b) Not everyone sees it.
(c) When closed, the inner space disappears.
(d) Clothing reveals dreams.
Short Answer Questions
1. When memories reside in parts of a house, which of the following is true in the author's opinion?
2. What is anthropo-cosmology?
3. Which professional professes to understand and interpret images?
4. When is the value of a house as intimate shelter most evident, according to Bachelard?
5. The painter, Vlaminck, compared the contentment of humans to what?
This section contains 367 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)