|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Drawers, Chests and Wardrobes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does a metaphor present?
(a) An intangible object as a tangible notion that is otherwise difficult to express.
(b) An intangible object described in full detail.
(c) A tangible object as an intangible notion that is otherwise difficult to express.
(d) A tangible object described in full detail.
2. Bachelard, expanding on the work of Rilke, proposes that a box top, like the cover of a pot, may do what?
(a) Create deceptions.
(b) Make the world get along better.
(c) Lead to future discovery.
(d) Maintain secrecy.
3. What description does Bachelard give to Bergson's drawer metaphor?
(a) Negative objectivity.
(b) Pop psychology.
(c) Dry rationalism.
(d) Dry poetics.
4. How does Bachelard say we experience a house buried in a blanket of snow in what way?
(a) As a butterfly in a chrysalis.
(b) As a universal child from centuries earlier.
(c) As a warning of death.
(d) As a baby in a cradle.
5. Poetry stimulates what sort of response in the reader in the opinion of Bachelard?
(a) Fear of isolation.
(b) Appreciation for rhymes.
(c) A forgotten image.
(d) Rhythmic thoughts.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bergson called drawers concepts into which what is classified?
2. Poetic imagery is real, according to Bachelard, even though it is not subject to what?
3. Which is the best description of "La Redousse"?
4. Bachelard wishes to distinguish between metaphor and what?
5. Childhood is held motionless, states Bachelard, by dreaming of what?
This section contains 302 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)