|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through House and Universe.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which is the least significant element in the composition of a poem in Bachelard's opinion?
(c) Overall structure.
(d) The isolated poetic image.
2. Topo-analysis is useful for studying what?
(a) Isolated poetic images.
(b) The structure of a poem.
(d) The structure of a house.
3. Ultimately, as explained in "The House, from Cellar to Garret . . .," what can be used to communicate with other souls?
(a) Poetry or daydreaming.
(c) Emerging from one's home to experience the world.
4. Which statement does Bachelard determine is most indicative of attic fears?
(a) Attic fears take longer fade, and remain tentative and unknown.
(b) Attic fears indicate childhood trauma.
(c) Attic fears indicate spiritual unrest.
(d) Attic fears may be reasoned away.
5. Bachelard uses what to illustrate the reality of poetic imagery?
(c) The idea of a house.
(d) The idea of a painting.
Short Answer Questions
1. Poetic imagery is real, according to Bachelard, even though it is not subject to what?
2. For Bachelard, breaking from the principles of scientific prudence is necessary in order to do what?
3. The philosopher Minkowski conducted an analysis of what?
4. Bachelard believes that rooms and houses are psychological diagrams writers and poets use to analyze what?
5. Childhood is held motionless, states Bachelard, by dreaming of what?
This section contains 250 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)