|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The House, from Cellar to Garret, The Significance of the Hut.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Bachelard uses what to illustrate the reality of poetic imagery?
(a) The idea of a painting.
(d) The idea of a house.
2. A phenomenologist considers what regarding a house?
(a) Paranormal presences.
(b) All the ways in which an individual inhabits his vital space.
(c) Drafty places which lead to pheumonia and other respiratory complaints.
(d) The spiritual flow between rooms and levels.
3. In the works of Edgar Allan Poe, murder and mayhem usually occur where?
(a) In criminal cellars.
(b) In childhood homes.
(c) In dark attics.
(d) In the imagination.
4. Central to the argument in "The House, from Cellar to Garret . . .," which statement is most indicative of cellar fears?
(a) Cellar fears precede mental illness.
(b) Cellar fears indicate childhood trauma.
(c) Cellar fears may be reasoned away.
(d) Cellar fears take longer to fade, and remain tentative and unknown.
5. Which professional professes to understand and interpret images?
Short Answer Questions
1. For Bachelard, topophilia can be described in what way?
2. Bachelard realized his acquired knowledge in science was inadequate to understand what?
3. According to Bachelard, which level of a house is always dark and shadowy, like the unconscious?
4. Poetry stimulates what sort of response in the reader in the opinion of Bachelard?
5. The works of Henri Bosco feature what areas, featuring connected passages with the possibility of escape?
This section contains 277 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)