|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through The Dialectics of Outside and Inside.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Topo-analysis is useful for studying what?
(a) The structure of a house.
(b) The structure of a poem.
(d) Isolated poetic images.
2. According to Bachelard's topoanalysis, what term can be used to describe city apartments?
(a) Superimposed cellars.
(b) Superimposed boxes.
3. How do psychoanalysts refer to the duality of self?
(a) Introvert and extrovert.
(b) Contained and universal.
(c) Poet and scientist.
(d) Open and closed.
4. Why does Bachelard disagree with Bergson's metaphor of drawers to describe the human brain?
(a) He wonders how reason determines which drawer should contain each new object.
(b) A chest of drawers is finite, while the brain's capacity is infinite.
(c) He wonders how objects would be retrieved from the drawers.
(d) Items get lost in drawers.
5. Which level of a house is protected with strong beams and rafters, and, states the author, has darkness that disappears in daylight?
(a) The main living area.
(b) The attic.
(c) Every level.
(d) The cellar.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which is the least significant element in the composition of a poem in Bachelard's opinion?
2. Rilke wrote that storms seem more aggressive and hostile where?
3. Egg, nest, house, country, and universe are images of what, in the opinion of Bachelard?
4. Bachelard wrote of the menagerie of what?
5. The objectivity of a house, states Bachelard, is separate from what?
This section contains 257 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)