|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Drawers, Chests and Wardrobes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which level of a house is protected with strong beams and rafters, and, states the author, has darkness that disappears in daylight?
(a) The cellar.
(b) The attic.
(c) The main living area.
(d) Every level.
2. As explained in "The House, from Cellar to Garret . . .," what is the main benefit of a house?
(a) To create cities.
(b) To shelter daydreaming.
(c) To protect property.
(d) To define boundaries.
3. Bachelard believes that rooms and houses are psychological diagrams writers and poets use to analyze what?
(b) Poetic structure.
4. What is a center of order in a house, according to Bachelard?
(a) Decorative objects.
(c) The brain.
(d) The wardrobe.
5. For Bachelard, why is the inner space of a wardrobe an intimate space?
(a) Not everyone sees it.
(b) Clothing reveals dreams.
(c) When closed, the inner space disappears.
(d) Clothing is part of one's persona.
Short Answer Questions
1. When should metaphor be used, in Bachelard's opinion?
2. What do poets create, according to Bachelard, to transcend conflicted night dreams?
3. What is a dream house for Bachelard?
4. Which statement does Bachelard determine is most indicative of attic fears?
5. Why does Bachelard disagree with Bergson's metaphor of drawers to describe the human brain?
This section contains 323 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)