|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Drawers, Chests and Wardrobes.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. As explained in "The House, from Cellar to Garret . . .," what is the main benefit of a house?
(a) To protect property.
(b) To define boundaries.
(c) To create cities.
(d) To shelter daydreaming.
2. Why is the city house no longer cosmic for the author?
(a) The city house, or apartment, has no intimacy because it shares common walls.
(b) The city house, or apartment, has no verticality because elevators have replaced stairs.
(c) The city house, or apartment, has no security because too many people live too close together.
(d) The city house, or apartment, is usually not one's childhood home.
3. Which is the least significant element in the composition of a poem in Bachelard's opinion?
(b) Overall structure.
(d) The isolated poetic image.
4. What is anthropo-cosmology?
(a) The transformation of a human body and soul after death.
(b) The transformation of a house-like object when it is torn down.
(c) The transformation of a house-like object after it receives human body and soul.
(d) The transformation of a human body and soul when moving to a new house.
5. What is the ability to imagine?
(a) A major power of human nature.
(b) A symptom of mental illness.
(c) A method of filling gaps in scientific understanding.
(d) A waste of the intelligent mind.
Short Answer Questions
1. Bachelard wrote of the menagerie of what?
2. Bachelard spent the majority of his career in what occupation?
3. How does Bachelard say we experience a house buried in a blanket of snow in what way?
4. The philosopher Minkowski conducted an analysis of what?
5. What is another word for ontology?
This section contains 292 words
(approx. 1 page at 300 words per page)