|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. A story about the Poet appears in which major newspaper?
2. The FBI has how many cases that currently match the Poet case?
3. Where do Thorson and Jack go to retrieve Gladden's camera?
4. Which agent seems to give Jack the hardest time and largest amount of grief?
5. Gladden reveals important information about himself in this section. The reader learns that Gladden has been:
Short Essay Questions
1. After Jack learns that Rachel is gone, he devises a way to find her. What does Jack do to gain information?
2. What news does Rachel receive from Thorson the next morning? What is the reaction of Jack, Rachel, and Glenn?
3. What do Backus, Jack and the agents discuss at the meeting? What vital piece of information is uncovered?
4. What are the pros and cons of Jack working alongside Rachel?
5. How does Detective Thomas fit into the story? What is the link to Gladden?
6. What happens when Warren was confronted by Walling and Ford? What is the point of the meeting? What is the result of the confrontation?
7. What happens when Jack arrives at the LAPD?
8. The Poet continues to use obscure quotes to taunt the agents. Discuss the Poet's reference to the rental car.
9. Discuss the scene between Walling and the two brothers. What information is gained? What item is recovered?
10. Rachel makes an admission to Jack that angers him even more. What is the omission and why is it important?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Would the story have had a different impact if the killer had used quotes from another poet? What other kinds of clues might the killer decide to leave at the scene of the crime? Discuss well known cases in which the killer left obvious or cryptic clues. Were the clues ever deciphered? Did the clues help to solve the case?
Essay Topic 2
Discuss the use of chemical "enhancers" in each case. Why would the Poet find it necessary to drug his victims? What type of drug was used? What was the effect? Did the drug contribute to each victim's death? How was the drug administered? How was the drug detected? Did the presence of the drug give any type of lead to the FBI?
Essay Topic 3
What was Jack's first clue that the police suicides were connected? What type of investigation was started by Jack? What caused him to start a nationwide search? Where did the investigation lead? What were the most important things learned by Jack and the FBI?
This section contains 811 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)