|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the reaction of the attacker when Jack makes the statement?
2. What is the name of Jack's twin brother?
3. What is the name of the newspaper that employs Jack?
4. Gladden reads which author while waiting in his hotel room?
5. Gladden tries to retrieve which item from the police station?
Short Essay Questions
1. Describe the meeting between Jack and Washington. What is the purpose of the meeting?
2. What is Washington's reaction when he learns Jack's back story? How is the incident smoothed over?
3. Discuss Jack's trip to Chicago. Why is Chicago special to Jack? Why has Jack flown to the Windy City?
4. Who were the news bearers? How were they related to Sean? Where did they work?
5. What happens when Jack arrives in Washington DC?
6. What are the first suspicions that Jack has about the case? Do Wexler and St. Louis confirm Jack's theory?
7. How could it be determined when and if it would happen to a certain cop?
8. In the opening chapter, Jack McEvoy learns something disturbing about his twin bother. What is the news and how did it happen?
9. What happens when Washington finally gets in touch with Wexler? What is Wexler's reaction?
10. Chapter 13 begins with Gladden connecting to the PTL club network. What message does Gladden receive? What message does he post in return?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explore the use of the Theresa Lofton case. Why was the case so important? What about the case captured the eye of the CAPs unit? What was Sean's opinion of the case? What was unusual about the girl's death? How did the case affect Sean? Did the case have anything to do with Sean's death? Explain. What was the final resolution regarding the case?
Essay Topic 2
It is often said that a cop only has so many cases in him before he must retire or he will go crazy and potentially "eat a bullet." Explore this concept. Do you believe that a person can reach his limit in regards to murder and other violent crimes? Is that what happened to Sean? What options does a cop have in this area? Is there any way to prolong a person's career if this is true? How might the limit be avoided? What types of things might a cop do to avoid becoming completely overwhelmed by the work?
Essay Topic 3
The cops in the CAPs Unit were not willing to cooperate with Jack at first. Why? Which cop gave Jack the hardest time? Which cop was most helpful? What did Sean's co-workers think about Sean's death? Did any of the cops share Jack's opinions on the case? Explain.
This section contains 833 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)