|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the Cid prevent attention from being drawn to himself during the hearing?
2. What does Fernando say about the Cid in Section 141?
3. What does the Cid when he is finally in front of King Alphonso in person?
4. What is the name of the Cid's horse in Section 86?
5. What does the Cid think about the possibility of his daughters marrying King Alphonso's sons?
Short Essay Questions
1. How do King Alphonso's men feel about the Cid's success? Why do they feel this way?
2. How do the Cid and Minaya react after the battle in regards to the king's sons? How do the sons react?
3. What does the Cid want back from the sons at the hearing? What is the reaction to this?
4. How are the Cid's wife and daughters introduced to the Cid's military side at Valencia? How do they each react?
5. After the sons join the Cid in battle, where do they want to go? Why do they say they want to go?
6. Explain what happens in Section 112 when a lion gets loose in the home of the Cid in Valencia.
7. What characteristic of an epic poem is evident in Sections 84-102?
8. How does the Cid protect the king's sons in battle the forces from Morocco? What is the reaction to this?
9. What happens to the Cid's daughters when the king's sons take them to the forest of the Corpes?
10. What two concerns does the Cid express about the marriage of his daughters to the king's sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the relationship between the Cid and King Alphonso.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the role of faith in the Cid's life.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the importance of respect and loyalty throughout "The Poem of the Cid."
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)