|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many men does the Cid gather to go to the hearing?
2. Where is a court hearing set up in Section 133?
3. Who subdues a lion in Section 112?
4. Where does the Cid take his wife and daughters in Section 90?
5. What do Fernando and Diego do when they are with their wives in the forest of the Corpes?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ultimately decided about the marriage of the Cid's daughters? How is Minaya involved in the decision?
2. How do the Cid and Minaya react after the battle in regards to the king's sons? How do the sons react?
3. After the sons join the Cid in battle, where do they want to go? Why do they say they want to go?
4. Explain what happens in Section 112 when a lion gets loose in the home of the Cid in Valencia.
5. How does King Alphonso react to the gifts he receives in Section 100? What does this reveal about King Alphonso?
6. What does Fernando say about the Cid? What does Fernando say about himself and his brother at the hearing?
7. What two concerns does the Cid express about the marriage of his daughters to the king's sons?
8. What conditions does King Alphonso puts on the attendance of the judicial meeting set up in Toledo?
9. What is the Cid's decision regarding the marriage of his daughters? What does this reveal about him?
10. How does the Cid protect the king's sons in battle the forces from Morocco? What is the reaction to this?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain how general citizens, such as the people of Alcocer, feel about the Cid. Why do they feel this way about him?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the importance of respect and loyalty throughout "The Poem of the Cid."
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between the Cid and his men, focusing on how he treats them.
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)