|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is noted about the Cid in Section 140?
2. Where does Fernando hide in Section 112?
3. Who joins the Cid's army on the trip back to Valencia in section 107?
4. How do the enemies of the Cid get to Valencia in Sections 88 and 89?
5. How does the Cid prevent attention from being drawn to himself during the hearing?
Short Essay Questions
1. What two concerns does the Cid express about the marriage of his daughters to the king's sons?
2. How does the Cid protect the king's sons in battle the forces from Morocco? What is the reaction to this?
3. What characteristic of an epic poem is evident in Sections 84-102?
4. How are the Cid's wife and daughters introduced to the Cid's military side at Valencia? How do they each react?
5. What conditions does King Alphonso puts on the attendance of the judicial meeting set up in Toledo?
6. How do King Alphonso's men feel about the Cid's success? Why do they feel this way?
7. How does the Cid feel about the marriages of his daughters? How does he express this?
8. How do the Cid and Minaya react after the battle in regards to the king's sons? How do the sons react?
9. After the sons join the Cid in battle, where do they want to go? Why do they say they want to go?
10. Why doesn't anyone notice the Cid's beard right away at the hearing? How does the Cid defend his beard?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the role of faith in the Cid's life.
Essay Topic 2
Does "The Poem of the Cid" have a happy ending? Why or why not? If so, what makes it a happy ending? If not, how would it need to be changed to be a happy ending?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between the Cid and his men, focusing on how he treats them.
This section contains 775 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)