|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who rescues the Cid's daughters?
2. The Moorish king of ______ decides to attack the Cid and his armies in Sections 88 and 89.
3. What is noted about the Cid in Section 140?
4. How does the Cid's wife react to the news of the marriages of her daughters?
5. Who subdues a lion in Section 112?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is ultimately decided about the marriage of the Cid's daughters? How is Minaya involved in the decision?
2. Why are the king's sons afraid to go into battle with the Cid? How does the Cid learn of their fears?
3. What conditions does King Alphonso puts on the attendance of the judicial meeting set up in Toledo?
4. How does the Cid greet his wife and children in Section 86? How does he introduce them to their new home?
5. Why doesn't anyone notice the Cid's beard right away at the hearing? How does the Cid defend his beard?
6. How does King Alphonso react to the gifts he receives in Section 100? What does this reveal about King Alphonso?
7. How do the Cid and Minaya react after the battle in regards to the king's sons? How do the sons react?
8. What gift does the Cid give the king in Section 107? Why?
9. How does the Cid protect the king's sons in battle the forces from Morocco? What is the reaction to this?
10. What two concerns does the Cid express about the marriage of his daughters to the king's sons?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Does "The Poem of the Cid" have a happy ending? Why or why not? If so, what makes it a happy ending? If not, how would it need to be changed to be a happy ending?
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between the Cid and his family. How does he take care for them while he is away?
Essay Topic 3
Explain the relationship between the Cid and the Moorish people.
This section contains 783 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)