|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who praises God in Section 30?
2. What count hears of the damage caused by the Cid on the Moorish countryside?
3. What do the Cid and his family do before he and his followers leave the country of Castile?
4. According to King Alphonso in Section 48, what will happen if someone goes to the Cid to assist him?
5. How many men does the Cid send away with the count in Section 62?
Short Essay Questions
1. What role do the abbots of San Pedro play in the Cid's departure from Vivar?
2. Why does the Cid thank God when he is successful? Why does the Cid thank God when he is unsuccessful?
3. What suggestion does Minaya give the Cid for those who wish to leave his service?
4. How does King Alphonso react to his gifts from the Cid?
5. How does King Alphonso feel about the Cid at the end of Sections 64-83? How do you know?
6. Explain what happens in Sections 66-68.
7. How does the Cid trick the citizens of Alcocer?
8. What does the victory in Section 39 reveal about the Cid?
9. When the Cid fights the army of Moors and Christians, what happens? Who is taken prisoner?
10. How does the Cid stay connected to home in Section 41? What does this reveal about him?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Explain the court hearing of the king's sons.
Essay Topic 2
Define epic poetry, identifying some of its common elements. Explain how "The Poem of the Cid" fits into the definition of epic poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Explain the role geography plays in the story of "The Poem of the Cid."
This section contains 743 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)