|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the Cid say he will not cut in Section 76?
2. How long does the siege by the Moors last?
3. Where does a group traveling with the Cid go in Section 2?
4. What food does the count refuse to eat after he is taken prisoner by the Cid?
5. How many days does the Cid agree to wait after visiting Castile?
Short Essay Questions
1. How does the Cid trick the citizens of Alcocer?
2. Explain the battle with the Moors that is described in Sections 34-39.
3. What does the Cid decide about his beard in Section 76? Why?
4. When the Cid fights the army of Moors and Christians, what happens? Who is taken prisoner?
5. What role do the abbots of San Pedro play in the Cid's departure from Vivar?
6. How does the Cid react when an army of Moors and Christians is organized to fight him? What does this say about him?
7. Why is the Cid sad at the beginning of the poem? Why did this happen?
8. Why does the Cid thank God when he is successful? Why does the Cid thank God when he is unsuccessful?
9. How do the citizens of Alcocer react when the Cid decides to leave? How do the citizens of Terrer and Calatayud react to his departure?
10. Explain what happens in Sections 66-68.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Define epic poetry, identifying some of its common elements. Explain how "The Poem of the Cid" fits into the definition of epic poetry.
Essay Topic 2
Explain the relationship between the Cid's daughters and the king's sons.
Essay Topic 3
Create a character biography of the Cid, including an explanation of what is important to him.
This section contains 733 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)