|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Why does the Cid want Minaya and his soldiers to return after their journey in Section 43?
2. Who hold a banquet in the Cid's honor in Section 17?
3. For what does the Cid thank God at the beginning of the First Cantar?
4. What do Minaya and his men bring back to the Cid and the other men?
5. What two forces does the count join to fight against the Cid in in Section 56?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the Cid thank God when he is successful? Why does the Cid thank God when he is unsuccessful?
2. What is the Cid's proposition to Rachel and Vidas? Is this a fair deal? Why or why not?
3. Explain what happens in Sections 66-68.
4. What does the Cid decide about his beard in Section 76? Why?
5. Explain the sale of Minaya's booty to the Moors in Section 24.
6. What suggestion does Minaya give the Cid for those who wish to leave his service?
7. What does the Cid decide to do with the captives at Alcocer? What role do they then play for the Cid and his men?
8. What is the Cid's relationship with God? How do you know?
9. Why is the Cid sad at the beginning of the poem? Why did this happen?
10. Explain the circumstances of the Cid's victory over the Valencians.
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is the message of "The Poem of the Cid"?
Essay Topic 2
Define epic poetry, identifying some of its common elements. Explain how "The Poem of the Cid" fits into the definition of epic poetry.
Essay Topic 3
Explain how the Cid handles his finances. What does this say about what's important to him?
This section contains 712 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)