|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the "seed of goodness"?
2. What does Chodron write that a woman she knew did in traffic?
3. Which of the following qualities is one of the five strengths?
4. What is strong determination?
5. What is lhenchak?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does the author claim that with bodhichitta practices, we eventually feel more joy?
2. What is a traditional aspiration for awakening joy and appreciation?
3. What is lhenchak?
4. What did the Buddha teach his students on Vulture Peak Mountain?
5. How do lhenchak and loving-kindness compare?
6. How does Chodron argue that we should react to our good fortune?
7. What are the near and far enemies of the four limitless qualities?
8. How was Shariputra an example for students during the Buddha's teaching at Vulture Peak Mountain (in his teachings known as The Heart Sutra)?
9. What are the three near enemies of compassion?
10. How does Chodron describe laziness characterized by wanting to avoid inconvenience?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Chodron define suffering? Where does she claim it comes from? How does she recommend avoiding it?
Essay Topic 2
According to Chodron, what are the lojong slogans? How do they compliment the teachings in the other sections of the book? What are they used for? Which lojong slogan does the author describe in greatest detail?
Essay Topic 3
In The Places That Scare You, what do the terms maitri and tonglen mean? How does Chodron write that these are these cultivated?
This section contains 736 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)