|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What happened to the woman who gave a panhandler a bill outside of a store?
2. How many near enemies of compassion are there?
3. How long does Chodron say that cultivating equanimity takes?
4. What sense is associated with "loss of heart"?
5. How does Chodron view strength from a historical perspective?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is lhenchak?
2. How does Chodron describe laziness characterized by wanting to avoid inconvenience?
3. What is the role of austerity in this text?
4. How does Chodron define the "essence of bravery"?
5. What are the six ways of compassionate living?
6. What is a traditional aspiration for awakening joy and appreciation?
7. What are the three near enemies of compassion?
8. What is equanimity?
9. What are the stages of learning to rejoice?
10. How do lhenchak and loving-kindness compare?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What does the author describe as an in between place? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 2
What image of Buddhism does Chodron present to the reader? What does she write about the Buddha? What does she write about different kinds of Buddhism?
Essay Topic 3
What does the author compare our fears in life to? What analogy does she make? Do you think this is an effective analogy? Why or why not?
This section contains 827 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)