|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chodron write about categorizing things into "for" and "against"?
2. Which of the following qualities is one of the five strengths?
3. How many near enemies of compassion are there?
4. What is lhenchak?
5. What is the near enemy of joyfulness?
Short Essay Questions
1. What is the far enemy of compassion?
2. How does Chodron argue that we should react to our good fortune?
3. How was Shariputra an example for students during the Buddha's teaching at Vulture Peak Mountain (in his teachings known as The Heart Sutra)?
4. What are the stages of learning to rejoice?
5. What are the near and far enemies of the four limitless qualities?
6. What is equanimity?
7. How does Chodron characterize pettiness, arrogance, and being judgmental?
8. What kinds of laziness does Chodron describe?
9. What is a traditional aspiration for awakening joy and appreciation?
10. How does the author believe we cultivate the conditions for joy to expand?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What is groundlessness for Chodron? Why is this important?
Essay Topic 2
According to Chodron, there are five strengths. What are these? Why are they important for her?
Essay Topic 3
What does Chodron mean when she says to do no harm? How is this beneficial? What makes it difficult?
This section contains 618 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)