|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author experience after finding her boyfriend "passionately embracing" another woman?
2. What are the three characteristics of human existence?
3. What does the author claim "cannot proliferate" without our thoughts?
4. What are the four limitless qualities?
5. How does Chitta translate?
Short Essay Questions
1. What ways does Chodron write that meditation can be misused?
2. Chodron asserts that there are two options in life. The first is "to grow up and relate to life directly." What is the second?
3. Under what conditions does the author claim that people can "train" to be a warrior?
4. What does "of the two witnesses, hold the principal one" mean?
5. Why does Chodron mention a walled, protected community in Florida?
6. Why does the author include an anecdote about finding her boyfriend "passionately embracing another woman"?
7. What does Chodron write is the "foundation" of bodhichitta training?
8. Why does Pema Chodron argue that most of us sow the seeds of our own suffering?
9. What is the role of interconnectedness in the kind of training that Chodron proposes?
10. According to Chodron, what is our relationship with enlightenment?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Chodron define suffering? Where does she claim it comes from? How does she recommend avoiding it?
Essay Topic 2
For Chodron, what role do spiritual leaders that are mentioned throughout the text have? What importance does she give spiritual teachers in general? How does she characterize their relationships with their students? According to Chodron, what responsibilities do students have?
Essay Topic 3
What image of Buddhism does Chodron present to the reader? What does she write about the Buddha? What does she write about different kinds of Buddhism?
This section contains 706 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)