|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Where does the title of the book come from?
2. What did the nineteenth century yogi Patrul Rinpiche suggest we do to train in compassion?
3. Where does Chodron write that she got her idea of what was real as she grew up in the 1950s?
4. What helps teach us the four qualities of maitri?
5. Who are the two witnesses that Chodron writes about?
Short Essay Questions
1. What does "of the two witnesses, hold the principal one" mean?
2. According to Chodron, what is our relationship with enlightenment?
3. What are the three principles that the Buddha taught to be characteristic of human existence?
4. What are the qualities of maitri that are cultivated when we meditate?
5. Why does Pema Chodron argue that most of us sow the seeds of our own suffering?
6. What image of maitri does Chodron use to explain the concept?
7. What do Martin Luther King and Mother Teresa have in common, according to Chodron?
8. Under what conditions does the author claim that people can "train" to be a warrior?
9. What does Chodron write is the "foundation" of bodhichitta training?
10. What does Chodron compare to "tapping into a spring of living water that has been temporarily encased in solid rock"?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How does Chodron define joy? How does she suggest we cultivate it?
Essay Topic 2
What image of Buddhism does Chodron present to the reader? What does she write about the Buddha? What does she write about different kinds of Buddhism?
Essay Topic 3
For Chodron, what are the four limitless qualities? What are their near and far enemies?
This section contains 716 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)