|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What helps teach us the four qualities of maitri?
2. What is the final step of the formal practice of maitri?
3. According to Chodron, what happens when we consciously try to fix faults in ourselves?
4. Who taught that there are three principal characteristics of human existence?
5. What hope does Chodron write that we should abandon?
Short Essay Questions
1. Under what conditions does the author claim that people can "train" to be a warrior?
2. Chodron asserts that there are two options in life. The first is "to grow up and relate to life directly." What is the second?
3. What do Martin Luther King and Mother Teresa have in common, according to Chodron?
4. What are the three lords of materialism?
5. Why does Chodron mention a walled, protected community in Florida?
6. What does Chodron write is the "foundation" of bodhichitta training?
7. What are the stages of the formal practice of tonglen?
8. What are the lojong teachings?
9. What are the stages of the formal practice of loving-kindness?
10. What ways does Chodron write that meditation can be misused?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What image of Buddhism does Chodron present to the reader? What does she write about the Buddha? What does she write about different kinds of Buddhism?
Essay Topic 2
Does the author present herself as an authority on the topic of Buddhism? How?
Essay Topic 3
How does Chodron define joy? How does she suggest we cultivate it?
This section contains 841 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)