|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What is the role of forgiveness in bodhichitta training?
(a) It is not important.
(b) It is an essential part of it.
(c) It is what warriors begin with, and can later leave behind.
(d) The author has concluded in recent years that it is very important.
2. What did the cook from Gambo Alley who was miserable see as she walked unhappily?
(a) An unmarried and attractive man.
(b) A eclipse.
(c) A shooting star.
(d) A fox.
3. What is the near enemy of joyfulness?
(b) Over planning.
(c) Over working.
4. How does equanimity compare with our usual perspective?
(a) It is less happy.
(b) It is bigger.
(c) It is happier.
(d) It is less confusing.
5. Why can our good fortune be hard to miss?
(a) Because of its "ordinariness."
(b) Because society pressures us to have so much that we focus on our lack.
(c) Because it is not "our habitual human behavior."
(d) Because it is easier to focus on negativity.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of the following is a near enemy of compassion?
2. What happened to the woman who gave a panhandler a bill outside of a store?
3. What will happen if we "stay with" sorrow or pain?
4. What is equanimity?
5. How does Chodron argue that our diet and health affect our strength?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the three futile strategies?
2. What are the stages of learning to rejoice?
3. How does Chodron describe laziness characterized by wanting to avoid inconvenience?
4. What kinds of laziness does Chodron describe?
5. Why does the author claim that with bodhichitta practices, we eventually feel more joy?
6. What are the six ways of compassionate living?
7. How was Shariputra an example for students during the Buddha's teaching at Vulture Peak Mountain (in his teachings known as The Heart Sutra)?
8. What is lhenchak?
9. What is the role of austerity in this text?
10. What did the Buddha teach his students on Vulture Peak Mountain?
This section contains 750 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)