|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What are the four limitless qualities?
(a) Change, Suffering, discomfort, and lack.
(b) Loving-kindness, compassion, joy, and equanimity.
(c) Material things, ideas, barriers of the self, and barriers of others.
(d) Hope, generosity, love, and relaxation.
2. Who are the two witnesses that Chodron writes about?
(a) The inner and outer critic.
(b) The male and female.
(c) The self and other.
(d) The teacher and student.
3. What does the yogi Patrul Rinpche suggest we do to arouse compassion?
(a) Relax our body in order to feel physically.
(b) Write letters to our enemies.
(c) Imagine ourselves in the place of someone in pain.
(d) Meditate on the feelings of others.
4. What is the fifth step in the formal practice of maitri?
(a) Teaching others about the process.
(b) Breathing deeply.
(c) Engendering kindness for our enemies.
(d) Going from a sitting to standing position.
5. What does the author cite Trungpa RInpoche as teaching?
(a) "Anger is natural, but not helpful."
(b) "Everything has meaning."
(c) "Life is always best when you try to look on the bright side."
(d) "There is no cure for hot and cold."
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chodron warn that we become habituated to doing?
2. Why does the author encourage readers to question the "strategies of the ego"?
3. What are the three characteristics of human existence?
4. What is the first lord of materialism?
5. What made Geshe Chekawa interested in publicizing the lojong slogans?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Pema Chodron argue that most of us sow the seeds of our own suffering?
2. What is tonglen?
3. What is the role of interconnectedness in the kind of training that Chodron proposes?
4. What does the Buddhist teaching tell us that all other beings have been over the course of many lifetimes?
5. What does the slogan "train in three difficulties" mean?
6. Why does Chodron mention a walled, protected community in Florida?
7. What image of maitri does Chodron use to explain the concept?
8. What are the stages of the formal practice of loving-kindness?
9. What are the three lords of materialism?
10. What does Chodron write is the "foundation" of bodhichitta training?
This section contains 979 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)