|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chodron claim is our relationship to reaching out to others?
(a) She writes that we can do it only with great effort.
(b) She argues that there is no point in trying to do this.
(c) She claims that this is always hard work, and never natural for us.
(d) She writes that this is our natural inclination.
2. Where does Chodron write that she got her idea of what was real as she grew up in the 1950s?
(a) Her family.
3. What does Chodron warn that we become habituated to doing?
(a) "By trying to please others, we can gain relief from the pressures we create for ourselves, but become so used to it that we lose our sense of what we want in life."
(b) "Losing ourselves more and more, not even as we consider ourselves separate from others, but because we do this."
(c) "Reaching for something to ease the edginess of the moment."
(d) "As we look for comfort, we slowly slip into addictive behaviors that can destroy our lives."
4. How many stages are in the formal practice of tonglen?
5. What hope does Chodron write that we should abandon?
(a) Hope of change.
(b) Hope of growth.
(c) Hope of fruition.
(d) Hope of earning love.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who are the two witnesses that Chodron writes about?
2. Which answer completes the following quote? "If this process of clear seeing isn't based on self-compassion it will become a process of ______."
3. What does the author claim that bodhichitta training unlocks?
4. What does Jarvis Jay Master write?
5. According to Chodron, what happens when we consciously try to fix faults in ourselves?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why does Chodron mention a walled, protected community in Florida?
2. What is bodhichitta?
3. What does the Buddhist teaching tell us that all other beings have been over the course of many lifetimes?
4. What does Chodron compare to "tapping into a spring of living water that has been temporarily encased in solid rock"?
5. According to Chodron, what is our relationship with enlightenment?
6. What are the lojong teachings?
7. What is the role of interconnectedness in the kind of training that Chodron proposes?
8. Chodron asserts that there are two options in life. The first is "to grow up and relate to life directly." What is the second?
9. What are the four limitless qualities?
10. What does the slogan "train in three difficulties" mean?
This section contains 897 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)