|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. The author relates the story of a woman who found herself surrounded by people threatening to throw stones. What did she feel in that moment?
(b) Shared humanity.
2. How many steps does the aspiration practice for compassion have?
3. What is the second of the three lords of materialism?
(a) The lord of competition.
(b) The lord of speech.
(c) The lord of work.
(d) The lord of greed.
4. Which of the following does Chodron recommend?
(a) Do not expect applause.
(b) Do not eat food that will make your mind race.
(c) Remember only positive moments from the past.
(d) Relax slowly into meditation, and it will be less strenuous on your body.
5. What does the author compare with the rawness of a broken heart?
Short Answer Questions
1. What are the four qualities of maitri?
2. Which of the following does the author warn that meditation can become when meditation practitioners do not pay attention to their negative emotions?
3. What does the author call "those who train wholeheartedly in awakening unconditional and relative bodhichitta"?
4. What is the fifth step in the formal practice of maitri?
5. What is the "foundation" of bodhichitta training?
Short Essay Questions
1. What are the stages of the formal practice of loving-kindness?
2. Why does the author include an anecdote about finding her boyfriend "passionately embracing another woman"?
3. According to Chodron, what is our relationship with enlightenment?
4. What are the three lords of materialism?
5. What are the three principles that the Buddha taught to be characteristic of human existence?
6. What does the Buddhist teaching tell us that all other beings have been over the course of many lifetimes?
7. What are the four limitless qualities?
8. What is bodhichitta?
9. Why does Chodron mention a walled, protected community in Florida?
10. What does the slogan "train in three difficulties" mean?
This section contains 967 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)