|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 15 multiple choice questions and 5 short answer questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Which of the following is one of the six ways of compassionate living?
2. What ritual did Trungpa Rinpoche teach Chodron could be enjoyed?
(a) Cutting hair.
(b) Making the bed.
(c) Serving tea.
(d) Setting the table.
3. What is equanimity?
(a) Being okay.
(b) Creating a happy space.
(c) Being sad.
(d) Being happy.
4. What did Geshe Ben do after a meal with his patrons?
(a) Got caught swimming in the pool.
(b) Got caught with his hand in a flour bag.
(c) Was seen using the bathroom.
(d) Was found cooking.
5. How does Chodron define bravery?
(a) Not having self-deception.
(b) Avoiding reactions in relationships.
(c) Being in the present moment.
(d) Loving freely.
6. What is threefold purity?
(a) No big deal about the doer, the action, the result.
(b) Peace, quiet, and goodness.
(c) Love, kindness, and hope.
(d) Heart, mind, and hands.
7. Which of the following qualities is one of the five strengths?
(a) Strong determination.
(c) Hard work.
8. Chodron writes that, "All activities should be done with one intention." What is that intention?
(a) To realize our connection with all beings.
(b) To live in the present.
(c) To act from love.
(d) To live like today is our last day on the planet.
9. What is the role of forgiveness in bodhichitta training?
(a) It is not important.
(b) The author has concluded in recent years that it is very important.
(c) It is an essential part of it.
(d) It is what warriors begin with, and can later leave behind.
10. How does Chodron view strength from a historical perspective?
(a) She does not touch on this theme.
(b) She writes that strength came more naturally to spiritual teachers in other time periods.
(c) She argues that there has not been a change over time.
(d) Chodron writes that it is easier to access strength in the modern world.
11. What is the name of the ship captain in traditional Buddhist stories?
(a) Scholarly Sam.
(d) Compassionate Heart.
12. Which of the following is one of the three kinds of laziness?
(c) Loss of heart.
(d) Blocked feelings.
13. What is overwhelm?
(c) "A holier-than-thou attitude."
(d) "A sense of helplessness."
14. What is the "seed of goodness"?
(a) Openness and tenderness.
(b) Hope and love.
(c) Packets of seeds.
15. What did the cook from Gambo Alley who was miserable see as she walked unhappily?
(a) A fox.
(b) An unmarried and attractive man.
(c) A shooting star.
(d) A eclipse.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the final of the five strengths?
2. Why are students taught to bow to others and to objects in the Zen tradition?
3. What upset the woman who was always late in Chodron's story?
4. Which of the following is a near enemy of compassion?
5. What tendency is comfort orientation based on?
This section contains 485 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)