|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chodron claim is our relationship to reaching out to others?
(a) She argues that there is no point in trying to do this.
(b) She writes that we can do it only with great effort.
(c) She writes that this is our natural inclination.
(d) She claims that this is always hard work, and never natural for us.
2. In practicing compassion, who is the first person we aspire to feel compassion for?
(a) People we do not know.
(b) Our families.
(c) Our enemies.
3. What does Chodron argue happens when we harm others?
(a) We receive bad karma.
(b) We see ourselves in a negative light.
(c) We only feel momentary relief from our own struggle.
(d) We also harm ourselves.
4. What is the main point of the formal practice of maitri?
(a) To give up our independence to join a community.
(b) To withdraw from the noise of our daily lives.
(c) To love freely and ask nothing in return.
(d) To uncover the ability to love without bias.
5. What do vajrayana Buddhists claim is inherent in emotion?
(b) The seeds of self-growth.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author compare to an elderly couple living in a protected community in Florida?
2. How many stages are in the formal practice of tonglen?
3. What are the three lords of materialism?
4. Which does Chodron consider more emotionally challenging: loving-kindness or compassion?
5. Who did Atisha take with him from India to Tibet?
This section contains 311 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)