|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author cite Trungpa RInpoche as teaching?
(a) "There is no cure for hot and cold."
(b) "Anger is natural, but not helpful."
(c) "Life is always best when you try to look on the bright side."
(d) "Everything has meaning."
2. Who do we first practice Maitri on?
(c) Our enemies.
(d) Our loved ones.
3. In practicing compassion, who is the first person we aspire to feel compassion for?
(a) People we do not know.
(c) Our enemies.
(d) Our families.
4. Where does the title of the book come from?
(b) A sacred scripture.
(c) A quote from Ghandi.
(d) A quote between a teacher and student.
5. What relationship does Chodron claim we are predisposed to have with others?
(a) Relationships always take hard work, and we certainly are not predisposed to live easily with others.
(b) Though relationships are unnatural, and love does not always flow freely, we can nourish these sentiments.
(c) Just as we connect with our caretakers in infancy, we would naturally connect with others if we remained egoless, but this is lost in early childhood.
(d) All beings are predisposed to waking up and reaching out to others.
Short Answer Questions
1. How does the author characterize meditation?
2. What does the author claim Martin Luther King is an example of?
3. How many stages does the formal practice of maitri have?
4. What helps teach us the four qualities of maitri?
5. What does Chodron warn that we become habituated to doing?
This section contains 362 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)