|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 7-9.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does Chodron claim is our relationship to reaching out to others?
(a) She claims that this is always hard work, and never natural for us.
(b) She writes that we can do it only with great effort.
(c) She writes that this is our natural inclination.
(d) She argues that there is no point in trying to do this.
2. What are the three noble principles?
(a) Meditate, exercise, and rest.
(b) Confess your faults, move toward your fears, and release your expectations.
(c) Love, hope, and generosity.
(d) Good in the beginning, good in the middle, good in the end.
3. What made Geshe Chekawa interested in publicizing the lojong slogans?
(a) Learning how much money he could make from students.
(b) Seeing their effect on his brother.
(c) The urging of his own spiritual teacher.
(d) Hearing that it cured a man from an incurable illness.
4. What does Chodron believe that we should do with the emotions related to our experiences?
(a) We should notice the ways in which we can alter our circumstances to make ourselves happy.
(b) Pretend that we feel positive, until it becomes our true feeling.
(c) Ignore them.
(d) Become intimate with them.
5. Which of the following does Chodron recommend?
(a) Relax slowly into meditation, and it will be less strenuous on your body.
(b) Do not expect applause.
(c) Remember only positive moments from the past.
(d) Do not eat food that will make your mind race.
Short Answer Questions
1. What is the first stage of the formal practice of maitri?
2. What does the author call "those who train wholeheartedly in awakening unconditional and relative bodhichitta"?
3. What does the author claim "cannot proliferate" without our thoughts?
4. What relationship does Chodron claim we are predisposed to have with others?
5. What is Maitri?
This section contains 400 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)