|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 1-3.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. Why does the author encourage readers to question the "strategies of the ego"?
(a) To increase the hope in our lives.
(b) To eventually change our behavior.
(c) To let our guard down and better understand others.
(d) To connect to the Superego.
2. What does the author recommend that we do with our sorrow?
(a) Sit with it.
(b) Fully focus on it in order to verbalize it.
(c) Try to change it.
(d) Master it in order to eliminate it.
3. What are the three characteristics of human existence?
(a) Mediocrity, disinterest, and distraction.
(b) Change, adaptation, and unsatisfied expectations.
(c) Love, hope, and peace.
(d) Impermanence, egolessness, and suffering.
4. What does the author claim is the gift of understanding that uncertainty is part of life?
(a) Not believing that others can avioid uncertainty.
(b) Knowing that even Nirvana is uncertain makes it all the more exciting for believers.
(c) Knowing that nothing can be counted on saves us from disappointment.
(d) Understanding that certainty is not necessary to find happiness.
5. What advice did the author receive as a six year old?
(a) To have a clear mind by avoiding spicy foods.
(b) Not to let life harden her heart.
(c) Not to listen to advice.
(d) To care for others in order to make her own life smoother.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does Chodron believe that the teaching of the three marks of existence can motivate us to do?
2. What did Albert Einstein claim was an illusion?
3. What is the compassionate aspiration that the author begins with as she begins to teach?
4. What does the author call "those who train wholeheartedly in awakening unconditional and relative bodhichitta"?
5. What does the author compare with the rawness of a broken heart?
This section contains 382 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)