|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 16-18.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What relationship does a Buddhist teaching claim that we have had with all others?
(a) That of a lover.
(b) That of an animal and owner.
(c) That of mother and child.
(d) That of a teacher and student.
2. Why does Chodron work with aspirations?
(a) "The best way to serve ourselves is to love and care for others."
(b) "We may not be able to change our circumstances, but we can think differently always."
(c) "Aspirations are an ancient tradition, created by true spiritual leaders."
(d) "Aspirations keep us on track when our minds seem to want to run wild."
3. Why does Chodron claim that the practice of bodhichitta increases our joy?
(a) Because it increases awareness of our basic goodness.
(b) Because it teaches us to be calm, and sitting silently can improve our mood.
(c) Because the Buddha said that this is what would occur.
(d) Because as we meditate on our love for others, we become more kind toward them, ad love becomes a chain of thoughts, beliefs, and actions.
4. What does Chodron claim is our relationship to reaching out to others?
(a) She claims that this is always hard work, and never natural for us.
(b) She argues that there is no point in trying to do this.
(c) She writes that this is our natural inclination.
(d) She writes that we can do it only with great effort.
5. What is the first lord of materialism?
(b) Personal style.
Short Answer Questions
1. How many stages does the formal practice of maitri have?
2. What does Chondron claim is required to forgive?
3. What is Chodron's tone in Chapter 15?
4. What did the cook from Gambo Alley who was miserable see as she walked unhappily?
5. What sense is associated with "loss of heart"?
This section contains 312 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)