|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This quiz consists of 5 multiple choice and 5 short answer questions through Chapters 4-6.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What does the author recommend that we do with our sorrow?
(a) Fully focus on it in order to verbalize it.
(b) Master it in order to eliminate it.
(c) Sit with it.
(d) Try to change it.
2. Where did Atisha Dipankara take the bodhichitta teachings?
(a) From China to India.
(b) From India to Tibet.
(c) From India to Latin America.
(d) From Tibet to Japan.
3. What does Chodron believe that the teaching of the three marks of existence can motivate us to do?
(a) "Accept spiritual teachings."
(b) "Meditate well from the moment we begin."
(c) "Stop struggling against the nature of reality."
(d) "Understand the nature of love."
4. What does Chodron warn that we become habituated to doing?
(a) "Reaching for something to ease the edginess of the moment."
(b) "As we look for comfort, we slowly slip into addictive behaviors that can destroy our lives."
(c) "Losing ourselves more and more, not even as we consider ourselves separate from others, but because we do this."
(d) "By trying to please others, we can gain relief from the pressures we create for ourselves, but become so used to it that we lose our sense of what we want in life."
5. What poet does the author quote as saying, "If I don't get a vision on Desolation Peak, then my name ain't William Blake."
(a) John Billings.
(b) William Blake.
(c) Anne Sexton.
(d) Jack Kerouac.
Short Answer Questions
1. What does the author cite Trungpa RInpoche as teaching?
2. What is the second of the three lords of materialism?
3. What does the author claim "cannot proliferate" without our thoughts?
4. What are the three characteristics of human existence?
5. Which of the two witnesses does Chodron say we should hold?
This section contains 347 words
(approx. 2 pages at 300 words per page)