|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these was not on Shonagon's list of things that should be large.
2. What did the women do as they ran to see the dancers' special performance at the Shrine that caused people to laugh at them?
3. What terminology did Shonagon and Tadanobu use to discuss men and women when they didn't want anyone else to know what they were talking about?
4. Who came to check on the Empress due to the heavy snow even though it was an abstinence day?
5. In "One Evening during the Reign of Emperor Murakami" what was causing smoke to come from the brazier?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did the Empress keep the note Yukinari sent with the square cakes?
2. Why did the Chancellor tell the Empress that he must have good karma on the day after the Dedication of the Full Canon?
3. Why did Shonagon say a man who had been promoted from Subordinate Officer to Chamberlain seemed like he had been reborn?
4. Why was Shonagon impressed when the Empress guessed that the cherry blossoms had been ruined by the rain?
5. When the ladies visited the guard house in "While We Were in Mourning for the Chancellor" why did the guards get angry with them?
6. What did Shonagon hope to find out by seeing the Shigei Sha and what conclusion did she come to?
7. Why was Shonagon so impressed with Michinaga's obeisance to the Chancellor?
8. Why was Shonagon moved to tears upon witnessing the Emperor paying his respects to the Empress Dowager?
9. Why did the Empress laugh when Tozammi brought her the letters about the people at the capital no longer wearing their mourning clothes?
10. Why did the Empress say that she could understand why Shonagon would be particularly impressed by Tadanobu's finding the perfect lines to say at a gathering following a service for the late Chancellor?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Shonagon's relationship with Tanadobu? How did the two treat each other? How did Shonagon feel about him? How did he feel about her?
Essay Topic 2
What role did romance play in Shonagon's life? What rules for romance did she have?
Essay Topic 3
Analyze at least three of the poems written by Shonagon that are included in The Pillow Book. What does each poem mean? What imagery does Shonagon use? Do her poems have a common theme?
This section contains 867 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)