|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Which of these was included in the list of things that had lost their power?
2. Which of these did Shonagon say loses by being painted?
3. In "Things Without Merit" what item did Shonagon say was so vulgar that people wouldn't want her to mention it?
4. What color were the Shigei Sha's under-robes when Shonagon first saw her at Toka Palace?
5. What did the guests pour wine into at the rehearsal for the Special Festivals?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Shonagon say a man who had been promoted from Subordinate Officer to Chamberlain seemed like he had been reborn?
2. Why did the priest tell the women to keep talking all night after overhearing their conversation about where the wood for the Chamberlains' batons come from and talking about the names of clothing?
3. Why did Tadanobu tell Nobukata about the secret code he and Shonagon spoke in?
4. Why did Shonagon spend a long time at home after the Chancellor's death?
5. Why was Shonagon so impressed with Michinaga's obeisance to the Chancellor?
6. Why was Shonagon moved to tears upon witnessing the Emperor paying his respects to the Empress Dowager?
7. Why did the Empress think Shonagon was lying when she insisted she was fond of the Empress during her early days as a courtier?
8. What did Shonagon hope to find out by seeing the Shigei Sha and what conclusion did she come to?
9. Why did the Empress say that she could understand why Shonagon would be particularly impressed by Tadanobu's finding the perfect lines to say at a gathering following a service for the late Chancellor?
10. Why did the Empress laugh when Tozammi brought her the letters about the people at the capital no longer wearing their mourning clothes?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
How did Shonagon feel about aesthetics? How do you know this? Discuss some sections in which Shonagon specifically talked about how things should look. What do these sections reveal about Shonagon?
Essay Topic 2
Describe the interaction between members of the royal family. What preparations were made for visits? How did the family members treat each other? What role did their formal positions play in their interactions?
Essay Topic 3
What factual information is known about Sei Shonagon? When did she live? What was her position in life?
This section contains 828 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)