|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. Who did Shonagon say would not covet being a member of the Fifth Rank?
2. What would make a player in a game of hidden rhymes look pleased with himself?
3. What kind of paper was Yukinari's letter to Shonagon written on in "One Evening Yukinari, the Controller First Secretary?"
4. In "When His Excellency, the Chancellor, Had Departed" who reminded Shonagon of the next line of a poem she had forgotten?
5. What did Shonagon say was pretty when it was mixed with pure white snow?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Shonagon want to change places with the woman she met on her way up the hill to the Upper Shrine?
2. Why did Shonagon prefer that the envoys in the Special Festival at Kamo keep their faces concealed with wisteria?
3. Why was Shonagon impressed when the Empress guessed that the cherry blossoms had been ruined by the rain?
4. When the ladies visited the guard house in "While We Were in Mourning for the Chancellor" why did the guards get angry with them?
5. Why did the Empress think Shonagon was lying when she insisted she was fond of the Empress during her early days as a courtier?
6. Why did the Chancellor tell the Empress that he must have good karma on the day after the Dedication of the Full Canon?
7. Why was Shonagon concerned about having to write the opening lines to a few lines of poetry she received when Kinto was present?
8. Why did the priest tell the women to keep talking all night after overhearing their conversation about where the wood for the Chamberlains' batons come from and talking about the names of clothing?
9. Why did Tadanobu tell Nobukata about the secret code he and Shonagon spoke in?
10. Why did Shonagon spend a long time at home after the Chancellor's death?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was the significance of rituals in Shonagon's life? How did they add structure to her life and what did she think of them?
Essay Topic 2
How did Shonagon's personality develop from the time when she was first a lady-in-waiting to the time when she wrote the book? What changed about her? What may have brought those changes about?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the interaction between members of the royal family. What preparations were made for visits? How did the family members treat each other? What role did their formal positions play in their interactions?
This section contains 889 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)