|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did Shonagon enjoy seeing men carry to and fro as the Festival approached?
2. How many women got in the carriage to go hear the hototogisu singing?
3. In the section titled "I Was Standing in a Corridor," what were the servants carrying?
4. What did the pictures hung for the Perpetual Readings depict?
5. What gate at the house of the Senior Steward was too small for the carriage Shonagon and the other ladies rode in?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was it considered such a bad thing for Masahiro to leave his shoes on the serving-board?
2. The herbal balls hung on the pillars of the Empress' palace during the Festival of the Fifth Month were supposed to last until the next Chrysanthemum Festival. Why didn't they last until then?
3. In "Smaller Shirakawa," why did Shonagon and her companions leave the morning service early?
4. Why did the name of the water-plantain amuse Shonagon?
5. Why were Shonagon and the other women disgusted by the response of some of the servants who were carrying attractively wrapped bundles and bags when the women asked them who the packages belonged to?
6. What caused Hitachi no Suke to stop coming to the Palace?
7. Why did Shonagon think that moonlight shining on snow on the roof of common people's houses was unsuitable?
8. Why didn't Shonagon like the husbands of nurse-maids?
9. What was the reason given for the way the snap-beetle bowed while crawling?
10. How did Shonagon describe the life of a priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
Describe life in the women's apartments. What were the apartments like and why did Shonagon enjoy living there?
Essay Topic 2
How does The Pillow Book cross lines between being a work of non-fiction and a work of fiction? What elements of fiction does it contain?
Essay Topic 3
What role did romance play in Shonagon's life? What rules for romance did she have?
This section contains 691 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)