|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did the Empress give the old nun?
2. What color was the lute Shonagon saw the Empress holding in the section called "A Group of Senior Courtiers?"
3. How did Shonagon say the sky should appear on the fifth day of the Fifth Month?
4. What plant did Shonagon think made an "uncommonly pretty" design on figured silk?
5. What does the name of the kotonashi shrub mean?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Hitachi no Suke to stop coming to the Palace?
2. Why did Tsunefusa begin calling Shonagon Grass Hut?
3. Why did Shonagon say that young herbs peeking through the snow were unexpected near the Palace?
4. Why was it depressing for someone to wear a white under-robe in the Eighth Month?
5. Why did the women laugh at the paintings on the sliding screen in Seiryo Palace?
6. Why was it considered such a bad thing for Masahiro to leave his shoes on the serving-board?
7. Why did Shonagon offer a gardener a reward to see to it that the snow mountain did not melt until after the fifteenth of the First Month?
8. What was the reason given for the way the snap-beetle bowed while crawling?
9. Why didn't Shonagon like the husbands of nurse-maids?
10. How did Shonagon describe the life of a priest?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What was Shonagon's relationship with Tanadobu? How did the two treat each other? How did Shonagon feel about him? How did he feel about her?
Essay Topic 2
What was the significance of rituals in Shonagon's life? How did they add structure to her life and what did she think of them?
Essay Topic 3
How was Shonagon's life affected by the politics of the time? What impact did they have on her living situation? How did they affect what people thought of her?
This section contains 748 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)