|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 short answer questions, 10 short essay questions, and 1 (of 3) essay topics.
Short Answer Questions
1. What dried plant evoked a memory from the past in the section titled "Things That Arouse a Fond Memory From the Past?"
2. While the Empress was staying in the building of the Empress's Office, what was reported to be in the main room?
3. What did Yukinari say he could not stand in a woman?
4. What did Shonagon say gentlemen should always have lest she find them boring?
5. Who asked Narimasa to arrange a meeting with Shonagon about the small gate?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Shonagon say a wickerwork carriage should move swiftly?
2. The herbal balls hung on the pillars of the Empress' palace during the Festival of the Fifth Month were supposed to last until the next Chrysanthemum Festival. Why didn't they last until then?
3. What caused Hitachi no Suke to stop coming to the Palace?
4. Why was it depressing for someone to wear a white under-robe in the Eighth Month?
5. Why didn't Shonagon like the husbands of nurse-maids?
6. Why did Shonagon say that there was nothing worse than a poorly dressed ox carriage driver?
7. What did Narimasa do in the section titled "When the Empress Moved" that indicated he was attracted to Shonagon?
8. Why didn't the women write their hototogisu poems after going on an outing to hear them sing?
9. In "Smaller Shirakawa," why did Shonagon and her companions leave the morning service early?
10. Why did Shonagon find it annoying when a man who was not more than an acquaintance came for a casual chat?
Write an essay for ONE of the following topics:
Essay Topic 1
What role did romance play in Shonagon's life? What rules for romance did she have?
Essay Topic 2
How does The Pillow Book cross lines between being a work of non-fiction and a work of fiction? What elements of fiction does it contain?
Essay Topic 3
Describe the interaction between members of the royal family. What preparations were made for visits? How did the family members treat each other? What role did their formal positions play in their interactions?
This section contains 814 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)