|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What object did the men thrust under the blind in "On a Dark, Moonless Night in the Fifth Month?"
(a) A letter.
(b) A branch of bamboo.
(c) An inkstone.
(d) A branch of cherry blossoms.
2. When Shonagon first went into waiting, what was the only time of day she wanted to go before the Empress?
(a) Early morning.
(d) Late morning.
3. Who said they had left the grass in the garden outside the palace to grow long so they could admire the dew?
(a) Lady Sakyo.
(b) The Empress.
(d) Lady Saisho.
4. What kind of paper was Yukinari's letter to Shonagon written on in "One Evening Yukinari, the Controller First Secretary?"
(a) Meng-Ch'ang paper.
(b) Cherry blossom paper.
(c) Koya paper.
(d) Bamboo paper.
5. What did Shonagon say a woman's house should look like when she lived alone?
(a) Clean but simple.
Short Answer Questions
1. What were the musicians singing at the rehearsal of the Special Festivals?
2. Who did Shonagon say it was pleasant for a court lady on leave to visit?
3. Who impressed Shonagon with his obeisance to the Chancellor?
4. Where did Shonagon like to sit after a thin fall of snow?
5. What kind of wood was the round brazier the Empress sat before when Shonagon came to visit in her early days as a lady-in-waiting?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why was Shonagon concerned about having to write the opening lines to a few lines of poetry she received when Kinto was present?
2. Why was Shonagon so impressed with Michinaga's obeisance to the Chancellor?
3. Why did Shonagon think it was important to keep ones inkstone and writing utensil in good condition?
4. Why did Shonagon say a man who had been promoted from Subordinate Officer to Chamberlain seemed like he had been reborn?
5. Why did Shonagon want to change places with the woman she met on her way up the hill to the Upper Shrine?
6. Why did the Empress say that she could understand why Shonagon would be particularly impressed by Tadanobu's finding the perfect lines to say at a gathering following a service for the late Chancellor?
7. Why did Shonagon say festivals held near the palace were distant but near?
8. What did Shonagon hope to find out by seeing the Shigei Sha and what conclusion did she come to?
9. Why was Shonagon moved to tears upon witnessing the Emperor paying his respects to the Empress Dowager?
10. Why did the Empress keep the note Yukinari sent with the square cakes?
This section contains 860 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)