|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did the bedraggled and injured dog do that convinced Shonagon he was Okinamaro?
(a) Wag his tail at the mention of his name.
(b) Bark at the cat.
(c) Shed a flood of tears.
(d) Place his head in Shonagon's lap.
2. What did common people often add to their speech?
(a) Extra syllables.
(b) Submissive words.
(c) An accent.
3. What was Shonagon's elder brother's name?
4. What was the driver of an ox-carriage supposed to look like according to Shonagon?
5. Who did the Empress refer to as "heavenly maidens floating in the air?"
(a) Young women at a wedding.
(b) Little girls at a festival.
(c) Her attendants.
(d) Her daughters.
Short Answer Questions
1. What hateful thing did Shonagon say some elderly people did when warming their hands over a brazier?
2. How did Shonagon say the sky should appear on the fifth day of the Fifth Month?
3. How many women got in the carriage to go hear the hototogisu singing?
4. What time of the day did Shonagan say was the most beautiful in the spring?
5. What did Shonagon think small children and babies should look like?
Short Essay Questions
1. What caused Hitachi no Suke to stop coming to the Palace?
2. Why did the Emperor walk toward the Empress' building while playing his flute?
3. Why did Shonagon offer a gardener a reward to see to it that the snow mountain did not melt until after the fifteenth of the First Month?
4. Why did the women hit one another with gruel sticks?
5. Why did Shonagon say a wickerwork carriage should move swiftly?
6. Why didn't Shonagon like the husbands of nurse-maids?
7. Why did dried hollyhock produce fond memories?
8. Why didn't the women write their hototogisu poems after going on an outing to hear them sing?
9. What did Narimasa do in the section titled "When the Empress Moved" that indicated he was attracted to Shonagon?
10. Why did the Empress scold Shonagon when she complained that people would see the women looking shabby as they entered the house because the gate was too small?
This section contains 871 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)