|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What gate at the house of the Senior Steward was too small for the carriage Shonagon and the other ladies rode in?
2. What tree did Shonagon say had a vulgar name?
(c) Pear tree.
(d) Chinese hawthorn.
3. What was the residence of the Major Captain of the Smaller Palace of the First Ward called?
(a) Smaller Shirakawa.
(b) High Court.
(c) Seiryo Palace.
(d) Otoko Yama.
4. Who did the Empress refer to as "heavenly maidens floating in the air?"
(a) Her daughters.
(b) Little girls at a festival.
(c) Her attendants.
(d) Young women at a wedding.
5. What was Yukinari's title?
(b) Controller First Secretary.
(d) Middle Counsellor.
Short Answer Questions
1. What did one of the women ask the old nun to do, which the Empress found degrading?
2. What was the five-year-old boy that Shonagon saw while traveling her carriage one day holding?
3. Who brought a Chamberlain who belonged to the Imperial Guard a cup of wine when he brought a message to an Imperial consort?
4. What did Shonagon see someone spreading on the ground while traveling in her carriage one day?
5. What kind of plant did Shonagon find pretty when it floated on the water of a pond?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Shonagon offer a gardener a reward to see to it that the snow mountain did not melt until after the fifteenth of the First Month?
2. Why did Shonagon send her brother a piece of seaweed in reply to his letter?
3. Why did Tsunefusa begin calling Shonagon Grass Hut?
4. Why did Shonagon say that there was nothing worse than a poorly dressed ox carriage driver?
5. In "It Is Hateful When a Well-Bred Young Man," why did Shonagan think it was proper for a gentleman to bring along a man when he went to visit a lady-in-waiting?
6. Why didn't Shonagon like the husbands of nurse-maids?
7. The herbal balls hung on the pillars of the Empress' palace during the Festival of the Fifth Month were supposed to last until the next Chrysanthemum Festival. Why didn't they last until then?
8. Why did the women hit one another with gruel sticks?
9. How did Shonagon describe the life of a priest?
10. Why did Shonagon say that young herbs peeking through the snow were unexpected near the Palace?
This section contains 909 words
(approx. 4 pages at 300 words per page)