|Name: _________________________||Period: ___________________|
This test consists of 5 multiple choice questions, 5 short answer questions, and 10 short essay questions.
Multiple Choice Questions
1. What did Shonagon see someone spreading on the ground while traveling in her carriage one day?
(d) Straw mats.
2. What title was Norimitsu awarded after his falling out with Shonagon?
(a) Governor of Suruga.
(b) Assistant Governor of Totomi.
(c) Lieutenant of the Guards.
(d) Middle Counsellor.
3. What was Yukinari's title?
(b) Middle Counsellor.
(d) Controller First Secretary.
4. What did the Empress give the old nun?
(a) One of her own robes.
(c) A basket of fruit.
(d) A room to stay in.
5. What did common people often add to their speech?
(a) Extra syllables.
(c) Submissive words.
(d) An accent.
Short Answer Questions
1. What was painted on the screens carried in the Empress's apartments on the day after the Naming of the Buddhas?
2. In the section titled "I Was Standing in a Corridor," what were the servants carrying?
3. How did Shonagon say the sky should appear on the fifth day of the Fifth Month?
4. What did Shonagon think small children and babies should look like?
5. What tree did Shonagon say had a vulgar name?
Short Essay Questions
1. Why did Shonagon say that young herbs peeking through the snow were unexpected near the Palace?
2. Why did dried hollyhock produce fond memories?
3. Why did the Empress scold Shonagon when she complained that people would see the women looking shabby as they entered the house because the gate was too small?
4. Why did Tsunefusa begin calling Shonagon Grass Hut?
5. Why did the name of the water-plantain amuse Shonagon?
6. Why didn't Shonagon like the husbands of nurse-maids?
7. Why did Shonagon change her opinion of the blossom of the pear tree?
8. What caused Hitachi no Suke to stop coming to the Palace?
9. Why were Shonagon and the other women disgusted by the response of some of the servants who were carrying attractively wrapped bundles and bags when the women asked them who the packages belonged to?
10. Why did the Emperor walk toward the Empress' building while playing his flute?
This section contains 819 words
(approx. 3 pages at 300 words per page)